How does one choose when customizing latex layers?

I am asking this here and now because I’m too impatient to wait till tomorrow to phone a store and ask someone.

Savvy Rest lets you completely design your own layering system but… how, in god’s name, does one know what to pick? I wouldn’t have a clue. In fact, other than a professional who works in the industry, how would anybody be able to make an informed choice? Savvy Rest allows for 3 layers… each of which has 9 firmness levels and 2 types of latex. Do they have 18 x 18 x 18 (5832) different combinations on hand to try? :S
But seriously… even if, for each layer, one chooses from 2 different types of material and only 3 levels of firmness that is still 216 possibilities. Can anyone explain how one would go about making that choice?

Hi confused1,

I keep starting a reply to your post only to find that by the time I complete the reply you have deleted the original post. Hopefully the third time is lucky and your post is still there by the time I finish my reply :slight_smile:

Post #2 here has more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress or layering combination (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If you are working with a local store then a knowledgeable and experienced retailer will help you narrow down your choices to a much smaller subset of combinations (perhaps half a dozen or less) based on the “averages” of other people that are similar to you in terms of their body type, sleeping style, or preferences so you can choose which of them is the best “match” for you based on careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 3 of the tutorial). Many of the “possible” combinations wouldn’t be useful or practical anyway (such as having the firmest layers on the top and the softest layers on the bottom).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as different Savvy Rest combinations) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Oops, my bad!!! :blush:
Sorry about the reposts. (I was hoping no one would notice)

In my rush to ask the question, and even though it’s a simple calculation, I kept making silly mistakes in my “probabilities” calculations. Anyway, you get the idea and thanks again for your helpful response. :slight_smile:

The reason I asked is because I had just found a mattress at Majestic Futon (a top level Nature’s Embrace) that I really liked. Based on the fact that it seems very well constructed (with 5 Dunlop layers and wool quilting), seems to very softly cradle me without sagging and … was a very good price, I went ahead and bought it. I had been toying with finding someone who did a Talalay Dunlop combination but, because the Majestic one felt so great I didn’t bother. Then I noticed that Savvy Rest (who I had dismissed as only something I could try if I lived in the US) had a dealer here in Vancouver. I then was kicking myself for missing that fact and was really trying to rationalize why that wouldn’t have been worth exploring anyway. :S

Ps. Subjectively I liked the feel of the Natures Embrace as much as the Essentia Dormeuse (at half the price). I suspect it might not be quite as sophisticated but… again it felt really great. I suspect I probably jumped a little too quickly into this and may not have gotten the absolute best I could have gotten but, it’s a big step up from the Sears box spring I’ve been sleeping on for the last 10 years.

Hi confused1,

The Essentia Dormeuse is basically two 2" layers of memory foam on top of a 4" layer of zoned Dunlop latex so I’m not sure why it would be more “sophisticated” than the Nature’s Embrace. The Nature’s Embrace also uses more costly materials inside it (organic latex and a wool quilted cover) than the Dormeuse.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

My daughter also purchased one of the Nature’s Embrace organic latex mattresses from Majestic several years ago and loves it.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=60008]Hi confused1,

My daughter also purchased one of the Nature’s Embrace organic latex mattresses from Majestic several years ago and loves it.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix[/quote]

Well I sure appreciate your help and the information on this website (though it’s a little intimidating at first :wink: )
When I mentioned the “sophistication” of the Dormeuse I was referencing the horizontal zoning they have along the length of the bed though I’m not even sure this is a worthwhile feature. On the other hand I am DEFINITELY sure I would not have liked over heating because they were using memory foam (I sleep hot).

Hi confused1,

Zoning systems can sometimes be useful and worth considering for people who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to.

The only reliable way to know whether a zoned mattress would be a better “match” for you in terms of PPP than another mattress that either isn’t zoned or has a different zoning configuration will be based on your own careful testing and personal experience.

The Nature’s Embrace latex mattresses also have multi zone cores :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I asked the salesperson at Majestic about the “Nature’s Embrace” zone feature and she seemed to think they were just talking about the vertical layering. Maybe she didn’t know what she was talking about but it really doesn’t matter because, as you said, it’s all about how well it works for the individual. When it comes down to it I really don’t care whether they use 5 layers or 3 layers or zones or no zones because it did seem to work well for me.