How is this site supported? ... and a personal attack

Hi JoeyTOB,

The goal of this site is not about personality but about providing a source of accurate and meaningful information to the degree possible, helping to change the direction of this industry, and giving people the tools that any information can be validated for themselves. The last thing I would want is to be an information “bottleneck”. The people who “need to know” such as the business members of this site and many others I talked with know who I am and how to reach me at any time. As you may imagine … every day I receive many requests for personal replies which of course are not possible and I redirect them to the forum so that the information in the forum can continue to grow, the forum can become a more valuable resource … and I don’t have to answer similar questions many times (I can just link to where they are already answered). To make me an issue rather than the information on this site and the means to validate it would only lead to a focus on the “person” instead of the “information” and the loss of control of my own home phone number and family environment (I work from home). I prefer to have control over who I speak with in person.

This same question has been asked and answered on several occasions including on the front page of the site (which I referred to in the post you mentioned) and at the end of post #4 here and in post #4 here.

The main difference is that I don’t sell mattresses and outside of this website am not involved in the industry so I have nothing to promote or defend. While I certainly have my own preferences (and latex for example is one of these) … my first loyalty is to information about anything connected to mattresses that can be validated or at least agrees with the “preponderance of the evidence” when black and white answers aren’t available so that people can make up their own minds about what they may need and prefer … regardless of who else it may agree with.

Even the logo of the site (Borromean rings and a mobius strip around them) is meant to represent the three “ideals” of the site (listed in the about us page here) which is to connect educated consumers, with high quality and value manufacturers and retailers that provide exceptional service. Like Borromean rings … if one of these links breaks … they will all fall apart and like the mobius strip that surrounds them … these types of manufacturers, retailers, and consumers are all on the same side no matter where they start.

[quote]We have 3 ideals, one for each part of the “resistance” against the mattress industry as it has “evolved” over the past decade or longer.

Knowledgeable consumers should have access to a quality mattresses, sold by a service driven retail outlet, and made by a manufacturer that understands and produces true value, at every budget range and in every area of North America.

Retail outlets who are service driven, knowledgeable about their products, care about their customers, are open, honest, and ethical in their sales practices, and provide true value are the most deserving of our business.

Manufacturers who produce the highest value, using the best quality materials and methods available in a price range, are transparent in the information they publish about them, who inform consumers and retailers rather than mislead or deceive them, and who offer their mattresses through a short supply chain at a fair profit are the most desirable brands.[/quote]

For those who are in the mood of a little more light hearted version of how this site began … then this article also answers the question in a little different way :slight_smile:

I have also answered the question of any other job I may have (and it would be difficult to add one to the 12 - 16 hours a day I spend with this project) but to make it clear again … I have no other job or source of income and the financial, emotional, and physical support that has allowed me to focus on this project in the way I have to the exclusion of many other things I could have done in these last almost 2 years was thanks to some very loving and supportive family members.

Phoenix