How Long Does a New Mattress Take to Expand?

I’m having a new Tempur-Pedic Luxe Breeze Medium Hybrid delivered this week. I’ve read that I shouldn’t sleep on a new mattress right away since a mattress takes between 24 to 72 hours to fully expand after being uncompressed. And I’ve also read that specifically for Tempur-Pedic mattresses, that after 6 hours they’re 90% expanded, and that it’s safe to sleep on it at that point. Conflicting info.

Once my new mattress once is delivered, it’s not feasible for me to sleep anywhere else, I have to sleep on the new one. So can someone give me the straight poop on this subject? Can I sleep on it 6 or 10 hours after delivery without having to worry? Thanks.

Hi NTMB, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new Tempurpedic Luxe Mattress! Depending on the type of foam, and how a mattress is compressed for shipping, it can take several hours to several days to ‘fully expand’. This is due to air being re-infused in the cells of the particular foam (s) and the mattress completing ‘uncompressing’, as it were. Sleeping on it a few hours after unpacking should not adversely affect the expansion, for normal sized BMI sleepers with normal activity…in some infrequent cases a mattress may not fully expand - refer to their warranty to make sure if this happens, at what point the manufacturer considers it a defective product that can be returned. 6-10 hours should allow it to expand most of the way though, so you won’t need to find another place to sleep while your new bed sits unused!

~ Basilio

most Tempurpedic mattresses are not delivered compressed ( at least ours were not … nor were the ones we just recently looked at ) - Tempurpedic has just one bed in a box … their lowest line model- they changed the names a lot but I think it is the Cloud. As far as I know most of their premium mattresses are delivered expanded and should have been stored flat. Very sensitive people might not like the new mattress smell and it will take a little time for the bed to break in but I remember sleeping on our mattresses right away … you can ask your retailer how the mattress will arrive … We bought a bed in a box years ago for our son and even this mattress was ok to sleep on after half a day or so …