how much one can trust the reviews?

I am confused again. What reviews to trust. I was going to buy a mattress from SleepEz but then read among too much praising reviews a review that someone got a mattress from them with a layer that was with dirt marks, looking already used and then the whole mattress started sagging and soon. I also read some complains about sagging about Savvi rest.
What I can believe to? How do I make sure that the company will not mail me a return by somebody else mattress?
Thank you very much for helping.
LIna

I don’t know about these specific places, but I can tell you that one time I ordered a latex topper from sleep like a bear that I found a couple of long hairs on and a couple of scuff marks. They assured me that they are not allowed by law in their state to resell returns, so they either give the to employees, or donate to local charities. They told me the couple of hairs and scuff marks I found were from the people that packed up the topper.

And since then, I’ve come to believe what they told me. Just me moving my 1" latex topper around to change the bed, etc, I’ve put a few hairs and scuff marks on it…

Sheep 123,
Many thanks for sharing it with me, I appreciate your information. Are you happy with the quality of your mattress ?
Thanks,
Lina

Hi Lina,

I would treat all mattress reviews (positive or negative) with caution because regardless of whether they are “truthful” or not they won’t provide you with meaningful information about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you or about the quality of the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself. You can read more about using reviews vs more legitimate and meaningful types of mattress research in post #13 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses without having to rely on mattress reviews.

Selling a mattress that has used materials inside it as a new mattress is against the law in most states and isn’t a practice that most legitimate manufacturers (including SleepEZ or Savvy Rest or Sleeplikeabear) would engage in or risk doing. These are the types of mattresses that you will usually find at liquidation outlets (see post #8 here and post #2 here and post #2 here).

It’s not something that I would be concerned about if you are following the guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial and you are dealing with a reliable and knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks for reply. As usual it helps allot. @ more questions.
Is there any time of the year when mattresses of good companies go on sale? And if by any chance you know specifically about SleepEz company I am interested in?
I would like to talk with the representative from SleepEZ about what layers I need to choose but they only give on line their phone number. I am hard of hearing and unfortunately can not call them. Some companies like Astrabeds have a chat on line. Do you know if there is any way for that or if there is an email address that I can use to discuss possible choices with them?
Many thanks,
Lina

Hi Lina,

I answered this in my reply to your other topic here. They generally don’t have any regularly scheduled sales (outside of some that have ongoing sales that only change the name of the sale but not the price of the mattress because they are all very similar) but in the case of SleepEZ I doubt that you will find them offering any lower prices than their current prices here anytime soon.

Emails aren’t generally the most effective way of communicating more complex or nuanced information that involves more than a single sentence or that has an “it depends” in the answer (see post #4 here). If I was in your shoes I would probably call them and let them know you are hard of hearing so they can speak more loudly and more slowly but SleepEZ doesn’t have a chat line so if there is no other alternative and you need to communicate with them by email then you would either need to use their regular email here or another email that they would provide you or some other communication or chat format that they are familiar with.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Hi Phoenix,
Me again. I was out of it for a month working in Europe but now I must make my mind up and buy a mattress.
I had a revelation wile I was teaching in Paris now. I slept there on what looked an ordinary mattress in my hostess house and my restless tossing around all night and morning pain had disappeared as I woke up. It was both- giving me a support but somehow also letting my body to relax. I felt comfortable and yet supported at once. Unfortunately it is an old mattress without label on it and nobody remembers what it is made from.
I have tried so many mattresses in New York shops but never felt like that. On my return I went back to Clean Bedroom to try savvy rest because you wrote that it is comparable with SleepEz but the two layers dunlop I have tried there did not feel any close to my mattress in Paris. Then I tried there a Green Sleep dunlop 3 layers one and it was much closer to the one I fall in love with, it was firm but springily, alive, soft but resilient but the prize is out of reach for me. I learned that the latex in it was from different source. It was from Malaysia wile the othern one was from India and had much lower quality. I am wondering if htere is a compatable mattress to Green Sleep but with reasonable prize. I do not care fro ‘organic’, I am totally agreed with you that it is just “words , words” as Hamlet said. I am totally devastated by the American mattress market and what to do.
I am now thinking allot about SleepEz ( 10inc.) because you wrote about them in a very positive way and from what I read it does makes sens. Then I came upon SleepEz reviews of a few people who seems to have similar to mine back problems and they got very unhappy with the mattress ( very similar in choices to mine as well) keeping uncomfortable and tossing all night long. It really scared me. I know I read here in your mattress forum not to rely much on the reviews but what that one particular person complaint about sounded very close and real to me.
After that I almost accidentally clicked on CozyPure and suddenly felt good about it. CozyPure ( 9inc.) mattresses. It is dunlop from Sri Lanka and has a 5 zone core. CozyPure is more or less $450 more then SleepEz ( now on sale with free pillow and wool comforter) and I have to go above my realistic budget but on the end in such a big item as mattress $450 might be worst of investment.
I would deeply appreciate so so much if you could give me any further advice, information, your
knowledge and evaluation of those two brands I am choosing between now . Or if there any other brand that would be closer to the pleasure I had trying 3 layers of the Green Sleep one.
Many thanks fro your invaluable help.
Lina

Hi Lina,

It’s unfortunate that you couldn’t find out more about the materials inside it because without this information it really doesn’t help you know which types of materials or mattresses you may tend to prefer. It may not even have been latex at all.

The latex in the Green Sleep is 100% natural Dunlop which would be closely comparable in terms of quality to the 100% natural Dunlop that is in the Savvy Rest mattresses or any other mattress that used 100% natural Dunlop made by any other reputable manufacturer regardless of the country it was made (see post #8 here). 100% natural Dunlop made by Coco latex in India certainly isn’t lower quality than 100% natural Dunlop made in Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Viet Nam, or any other country that may be the origin of a reputable manufacturer. All of them are high quality materials. The biggest reason for any difference in how the Green Sleep mattress felt to you would be the specific design of the mattress including the thickness and firmness of the layers, any zoning in the mattress, the differences in the covers, and any differences in the support system under the mattress (Green Sleep has a flexible dowel support system which can make a significant difference in the feel and performance of their mattresses). There are hundreds of different latex mattress designs that can each feel very different from each other even though they use the same type and quality of materials so one mattress may be a perfect “match” for you while another one that uses the same or very similar materials and components may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on. There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

Each person can have very different opinions about the types of materials or the types of mattresses they prefer and just like any material not everyone likes the feel of latex. There will always be people that are unhappy with and sleep poorly on any of the thousands of mattresses that are available on the market because it isn’t a good “match” for them in terms of PPP and I would take the comments in my previous reply about using reviews as a reliable source of guidance quite seriously …

All of the mattresses you are considering use high quality materials and there are no weak links in any of them but they are also different designs so they will each feel and perform differently from each other.

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict with any certainty which type of mattress or combination of materials and components will be the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance”. When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done (assuming you know the specifics of the design which may not always be possible to find out), and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (online or locally) and how to minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,
Thank you fro your reply. I understand that it is very difficult to compare mattresses and to advice another person. I have to figured it out myself but many thanks for your information. In some shops when I spoke to sales persons it seems that I knew more about mattresses then they thanks to you.
Thank you,
Lina