How quilting patterns affect top comfort

I am in talks with a Canadian mattress company who changed for some unknown reason, the quilting method on a mattress (Tencel fabric quilted to Quiltflex) from what I ordered (supposed to be a loose, ‘tacking down’ in a small cursive pattern in various spots over the top, to what was made, a very regimented, tight rectangular pattern). From what I read and what little I know of quilting, if you densify the quilting stitching you harden/firm the top cushioning layer. I am therefore finding the mattress, unlike the one I tried, quite firm and not cushioning enough. Can someone give me a quantitative value of degree of loft/cushioning lost with this type of change? Please see attached thumbnail photos.

Hey Dmercer,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

When a wider quilted pattern on top of the mattress is narrowed, the result will be a more firmer feeling. It would be most difficult to offer a “quantitative value of degree of loft/ cushioning lost” as there are many configurations to mattress covers; ultimately, it is about your individual PPP/ Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences (read more here of Phoenix’s post #46 here.

Have you reached out to the mattress company regarding the different fabrication you received? Would be curious to know their response. Hope goes well and keep us posted.

Thanks,
Sensei