How to... A Researcher's Guide to Mattress Wisdom

Hi Jill71rdh,

Thanks for the question, without knowing any details about your warranty, just commenting on the box spring.

The metal one, with plywood, will work fine, especially compared with the “old wood” one. I don’t think it will make noise or enhance whether you feel your husbands moving. These imported metal platform beds imported are very good sellers and are made pretty solid. I am not saying they are anywhere near the quality of a high quality /high-cost foundation, but they are serviceable compared to the older traditional box spring you are using.

Thanks again for the question.

Sensei

1 Like

The How To Post video is not working for me returning a 404 error.

Hey dlbzone,

Welcome to the mattress forum:).

We apologize but we have turned off the “posting a video” for consumers. Thanks for pointing that out, we are working on a few backend improvements before we introduce this again.

What was the video about? We may be able to get it up, maybe email a link if you would like to post it, we can take a look.

Thanks
Sensei

The video links appear to be broken. They route to a “404” page.

Hey eh1160,

Welcome to the mattress forum :). Thank you for pointing that out, I will test a few and get our back end people working on it.

Thanks again.

Sensei

I can’t say that I understand the stubbornness to not just include a general forum that can be posted to. I feel like I’ve wasted my time setting up an account and waiting for it to get approved, only to see that there is this utterly unintuitive and cumbersome interface that doesn’t even allow me to ask a general question. Am I really supposed to ask some random company about a mattress that isn’t even theirs? It makes no sense at all and while I certainly appreciate the time and effort that has gone into making this site available, I can’t walk away without mentioning just how frustrating this process has been. Maybe you can put a disclaimer when you go to register that lets people know that you can’t actually ever create new topics yourself.

Hey justishar,

We are sorry you feel that way. Lots of changes coming soon, but thanks for the comments. Just respond to this message with your question, and I will make a new thread for you. Possibly your question about your sleep! may be more important than the “forum rules”?

Thanks,
Sensei

Hello! I was looking for a way to post a new topic, and I couldn’t figure it out, so I’m hoping you can start a topic for me.

I found this site during my search for a new mattress, and so far it has been really helpful in terms of determining what makes a durable mattress.

I’m looking to avoid my last experience buying a mattress, where I was in a rush because I was moving into a new apartment and I went to a local store. The salesperson was the “hard sell” type and convinced me to buy a fairly cheap mattress and box spring that became uncomfortable after about a year (I struggled through it till now, the two year point). Because I don’t trust myself to test mattresses in a store environment without getting suckered into something I don’t want, I’m hoping to purchase a better mattress, this time online.

I’m still not looking for anything in the high price range, but I’m hoping to get something good value for under $600, and under $850 including box spring/foundation. I’m strongly considering this mattress in the full size: Dream Foam - Dream Foam

I just wanted to check if that seems like a decent mattress based on its materials/structure, and something that will last me more than a few years. The price seems much lower than other latex mattresses I’ve looked at, which makes me a little nervous. I’m also not sure if I should go with the firm or medium option. I’m 5’2 and not certain of my exact weight, but I think it’s somewhere between 190-215 pounds. Would one of the options be easier to correct with a mattress topper if it turns out I think it’s too firm or too soft?

One last question about that mattress: I’m considering putting the mattress on top of this type of platform sold by the same company: Dream Foam - Dream Foam . Would that work and not cause the mattress to sag? I already own a metal frame, but I bought it at the same place as the cheap mattress (I think it was thrown in for free, actually), so I have a feeling it’s not a great frame. I want to avoid having to buy a new frame, and box spring/foundation, and mattress if possible. I do really want to keep the total cost as low as possible.

Thank you for looking at my questions! I’m grateful for any help that can be provided.

I’m at a loss if I’m getting constant bad luck buying mattresses or I have some sort of underlying back/hip health problem I need to get checked out.

Little over seven years ago I started getting back spasms on the mattress I’ve had for years growing up. Considering the fact I’ve had it since a younging and I was finishing school around that time it must’ve been the mattress being old. (I have no idea where this mattress was purchased or the brand name. It had to have been bought from a local store that doesn’t exist anymore).

First mattress I purchased was 12" Swiss Ortho Sleep. Felt nice and firm until 2 weeks passed and the mattress began to feel as if it was sinking. Tried all the usual tricks (flipping it, putting a wooden slat under it) to avail so i gifted it after a few months of pain.

Second purchase was a 6-Inch foam mattress I threw on the floor since nothing is firmer than the floor right? No use. Most uncomfortable foam mattress I’ve ever slept on. Felt more like a topper than an actual mattress. I’ve slept on slightly more comfortable foam mattresses in the past even though I’m not a fan of them and didn’t do wonders for my back problems as people have sworn by.

I figured the bed frame must be old and the cause to all these problems so I bought a new one along with the first mattress. Again, 2 weeks of bliss and then the sinking came back so I trashed it.

Third purchase was at a local store; “Morning Light Orthopedic”. Disastrous. Last purchase has been labeled under Alwyn Home but is actually an Zinus iCoil. I was immediately unimpressed with this mattress and the firmness lasted 2-3 days before it felt sunk.

All these mattresses have caused me to wake up multiple times from all the tossing and turning and muscle strains. Laying on the floor helps my back but it’s too painful on my scapula and occipital bone to have comfortable sleep. All my floor sleep has been just as interrupted as my mattress sleeps.

Ever since this started my pains have transformed from just back spasms to spasms + pain in my hips/waist, teeth grinding, jaw and inner ear pain and massive sleep deprivation.

Where can I get a mattress that stays firm without breaking the bank? Is it me? Has anyone been getting good results from these mattresses? Am I buying too cheap?

One common factor all these beds have is they’re compressed into a box. Are beds in a box inferior quality? Do good quality regular mattresses still exist?

Thanks

Hi and thanks in advance for all the helpful information. I’m wondering about “our guide to green” polyethylene matreses covers. If anyone has any information I’d love to hear it.

Thanks!

Hey howyes,

I started this thread, please let us know what you can in your post.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi piper.j,

Thanks for the nice words about TMU and thanks for the post. If one wants to eliminate all the possibilities or any allergens or particulates then clear polyethylene would be the only thing I know of that would stop anything from escaping. The membrane-type encasements would stop all particulates. Some people decide to go with the polyethylene for the long term if they need to prevent off-gassing or chemical leaching over a long period of time.

Generally speaking the Your Guide to Green does not have any red flags from people on this forum.

Phoenix

Note added later: We have noticed in the back end that you subscribed to the General Forum postings and also to the Naturelle thread. The email address you listed in your profile is returning the notifications as undelivered.for the following reason 550 Invalid recipient: xxxx (at) bell.net you may wish to update to a valid email address to receive new responses notifications. For now, we have unsubscribed from the notifications but you can resubscribe as soon as you update the email where you’d want to receive notifications

Done. Tried my best, my coffee hasn’t kicked in yet :S. Thank you

I apologize in advance, but since new topics are off, and no searches even mention them, I am going to post here, and find out if anyone has had any experience with SVEN & SON Mattresses and Frames? Like most people, I’ve spent to much time reading, and am totally in over my head.

They are only sold by Sleep Geekz out of Jacksonville, FL; and have admitted they are made in China; designed in the USA. The price on the set is really nice, so I’m wondering if it’s a to good to be true kind of thing.

My Wife and I are both side & back sleepers, Overweight (I’m 6’1", 250Lbs, wife is 5’9" and about 320lbs (i’m a good husband, I don’t ask) looking for an Adjustable Bed and “Soft but Supportive” Mattress. We are going through Jacksonville on the 7th of September, and will be trying the mattress but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with either company? So far, our favorite mattresses have been by Eastman House, the Grand Isle and Sanibel; which both have 2 sets of inner spring coils.

Here’s how it’s Listed on the Sleep Geekz Website:
Sleep System Set Includes a Luxury 14" Hybrid Luxury Cool Gel Bionic
Infused Memory Foam Mattresses Soft-Plush Feel. Bionic Cool Gel Infused
Memory Foam Supports your Full body eliminating pressure points on your
Shoulders & Hips and wisks away unwanted heat while you sleep in Gah
Gah Land- 2" Exclusive Air-Flow Gel-Memory Layer 2" Luxury Cooling Gel
is infused into aerodynamically designed Memory Foam to create a
luxurious cloud like effect.

Comfort Plus Support Foam adds another Plush layer of comfort to Gently
Cradle and Support your body - 1.8" Flex Support Foam layer to provide an
additional level of pressure relieving support and softness – 1.8"
Our Sven & Son Cluster Springs Isolate motion and support & align, your
back, spine, and Lumbar.

Double Jacquard Charcoal & Bamboo Knit Cover with Our premium knit
cover. Double jacquard fabric is designed to provide advanced breathability
and comfort. With Charcoal to absorb moisture and Bacteria, Bamboo
keeps you cooler, is softer than cotton and hypoallergenic. Slip resistant
mattress bottom and allergen resistant Cover with zippered bottom

The CertiPUR-US® program is administered by a USA nonprofit
organization and is the most rigorous and comprehensive certification for
polyurethane foam.
Sven & Son 10 Year Warranty, We have your Back for 10 Years of Blissful
Sleeping Comfort matched with our 120 day Comfort Guarantee! Get the
Sleep you deserve with a New Sven & Son.

I’ve never heard of this brand until your post, but have done some quick research on it for your consideration. The first thing I noticed is that no densities are specified for the foam used, and with the significant amount of foam in this design that would be a major concern for the durability and longevity of such a mattress particularly given your weights (no offense intended, I’m 6’4 and 300lbs myself!) Second regards their pricing, which for example the Queen size is shown on their site at $1,200 but says to call for best pricing. I see the same product being sold by them on Amazon for $727 with free shipping, and unfortunately in the mattress industry such a pricing strategy is pretty common. The product description states that it’s a hybrid design with springs, yet the image showing the construction shows all foam with no springs. On Amazon the reviews seem to be very positive (for whatever that’s worth) yet they seem to be about an adjustable base and not the mattress.

So to sum up I see a lot of red flags about this mattress, and particularly given your size I’d be very hesitant to recommend such a design as being suitable. I don’t think it is likely to hold up over time, and question if it will provide the needed level of support to avoid alignment issues. Of course you can try it out and see what you think, but if you like the feel I’d suggest getting specific foam densities and clarification about the hybrid construction which conflicts with the image shown.

Good luck in your search, and hope I was able to help a bit!

• Bill

Hi kpsyran,

Welcome to our mattress forum :).

Thank you so much @Sweet Dreams, I really can’t add anything to your suggestions, lot’s of red flags, no densities. You summed it up pretty well.

Thanks again kpsyran and let us know if you have any other questions.

Sensei

Hi howyes,

Welcome to the mattress forum :), and thank you for the nice summary of the personal sleep history you provided, and doing it low of caffeine too!!
I’m sorry to hear about the mattress issues, spasms, and pains that you’ve had in the last 7 years.

Given that you have very specific back spasms you most likely need a much better quality mattress that fits your specific needs, which may be quite difficult to find for a budget under $200.00.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are I bought the wrong mattress, help! post #2 which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and mattress value post #13 which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

[quote]Where can I get a mattress that stays firm without breaking the bank? Is it me? Has anyone been getting good results from these mattresses? Am I buying too cheap?
One common factor all these beds have is they’re compressed into a box. Are beds in a box inferior quality? Do good quality regular mattresses still exist?[/quote]

Many consumers have had good experience with BIB companies. Being in a box is does not correlate with bad quality, using low quality and unsafe materials in a mattress is correlates to bad quality. Once you have a chance to go through the readings I suggested above you can always look at our trusted member mattress manufacturers and retailers listing and let us know if you have more specific questions.

Phoenix

Hello,
I’m trying to figure out if I can use this box spring with a 9" latex mattress. It is the Triton Foundation by Simmons and came with my Westin Bed ten years ago. It seems to be made from wires and wooden outer frame beneath a sturdy fabric. Here is a link to the box spring:
http://www.simmons.hk/en/hospitality/triton-foundation.html
It is a split king (two halves).

The other related question is about the bed header being higher than the new mattress. We have an heirloom sleigh bed that we intend to keep indefinitely. Our box spring and mattress are currently a good fit. The box spring is 9" high and the mattress is 10". If we get a 9" latex mattress and replace the box spring with a lower foundation, what do you do about the gap between the top of the mattress and the bottom of the headboard?
Thanks in advance. Awesome information provided here.
Dcfas

Hey Dcfas,

Welcome to the mattress forum :).

You definitely can use that box spring. That seems like a nice unit, if it’s still in good condition, it will work perfectly fine, I am assuming you know the weight of a 9" latex mattress? If you keep it with the 9" latex same height. No reason to get a low foundation, no reason to have the gap, maybe 1" gap…8/9 inch, both are common industry heights. The mattress should look right on a heirloom sleigh bed, right?

Thanks
Sensei

Sensei,
Great! Thank you for your response.