How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi Just Right,

I donā€™t pay much attention to warranties (see post #174 here) but the warranty would need to protect them against someone who didnā€™t maintain it and used the mattress on one side only which would wear it out much faster. If you maintain your rotation and flipping schedule it will almost certainly last longer than the warranty (unlike most major manufacturers where the warranty is more of a marketing tool).

I donā€™t know of any way to measure value on an ā€œobjective scaleā€ (value is based on the parts of each personā€™s personal value equation that is most important to them) but as Iā€™ve mentioned and based on the mattress construction, design, and materials and your experiences there and the service you received I would say it was good value.

You can see in this article that the top 15 manufacturers control 87.3% of the market and most of the best value is inside the remaining 13% which includes the smaller manufacturers who havenā€™t forgotten how to make good quality two sided mattresses that will last like yours. This is the ā€œrangeā€ where your mattress fits.

You can see a comment at the end of post #2 here about a similar mattress made by Royal Bedding which he estimates will last in the range of 10 - 12 years on average and with your lighter body weight it could possibly be longer. I have a similar innerspring/polyfoam mattress that is over 15 years old made by a different manufacturer that was carefully maintained and still has an even surface (which of course has compressed somewhat) and is still being used today with a topper (it needed some extra softness for the 200 lb 15 year old that is using it).

Your mattress will probably last you longer than you seem to think it will and while I agree with your comments about ā€œbuyer beware squaredā€ as far as the mainstream industry and major manufacturers ā€¦ I think you made a good choice which would probably be better described as ā€œbuyer has every reason to be happy with their choiceā€ :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I read the article in Step 2, and Iā€™m a bit confused.

In Point 1, it says, ā€œAvoid buying a mattress made by any of the major national brands such as Sealy, Simmons, Serta, Tempurpedic. While they are not all ā€œbadā€ mattresses and some may even be good quality, ā€¦ none of them have good value when compared to similar mattresses made by smaller independent manufacturers. NONEā€

but then in Point 6 it says, ā€œWhen you are mattress testing ā€¦ test for the two main functions of a mattress (pressure relief and spinal alignment) separately along the lines of five steps to your perfect mattress. Never test for the ā€œoverall comfortā€ of a mattress or put any faith in words like ā€œsupportiveā€, ā€œcomfortableā€ ā€œfirmā€, ā€œsoftā€ and many other general or relative terms. Comfort is subjective and mostly about pressure relief in the top layers and support is mostly about how the lower layers keep your spine in alignment. Both are different for everyone and all mattresses need different degrees of firmness and softness in different layers to fit your body profile, sleeping positions, and preferences.ā€

Value is nothing but subjective, so Iā€™m not really understanding the reasoning of Point 1.

Hi Dante,

The value of a mattress purchase has many components (see post #46 here) and includes objective, subjective and even intangible factors that may be more or less important to different people. The quality/durability of a material is not subjective at all though and can be quantified to some degree based on the type of materials and the design of the mattress (see post #4 here about the factors involved in durability). The density of a foam is the single most important part of its durability and some foams and materials are objectively more durable (and usually more costly) than other materials.

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it and higher quality materials in general are not only more costly but more durable. The problem is that most major manufacturers donā€™t disclose the quality of the materials in their mattress and if you are able to find out what they are (which normally takes a great deal of time and effort or in most cases sources of information that is not generally available to consumers) you will find that the quality of their materials in each price range is typically lower and less durable than similar mattresses made by smaller more independent brands. The very rare exceptions are really not worth the time and effort it takes to find them. Point 1 in other words is about quality.

Point 6 is very different and it is all about the suitability of a mattress which is partly objective and can be tested and partly subjective (like comfort). You canā€™t feel the quality of the materials in a showroom or know how a mattress may feel in a few years down the road once the foams and other materials start to soften or break down. In other words ā€¦ lower quality materials can feel the same as higher quality materials ā€¦ they just donā€™t stay that way as long. Point #6 is about the suitability of a mattress.

When you are buying a mattress ā€¦ knowing the quality of the materials is one of the most important parts of making meaningful comparisons between mattresses and an important part of the value of a mattress but testing a mattress for itā€™s suitability (regardless of the quality of the materials) to make sure that the mattress you are considering is suitable for your specific needs and preferences is just as important even though they are two completely different things.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the information you have available on your site.

Hello Phoenix and thank you so much for creating this website!

I spent hours last night reading through the many posts of your mattress forum and plan on reading more to get up to speed with the mattress information before I purchase another (this next mattress will be my fourth or fifth in 11 yearsā€¦Iā€™ve blocked it out). I live in Reno, Nevada and would appreciate your recommendation for local mattress stores.

I am a 170 lbs, 5ā€™7" female and my husband is 210 lbs and 6ā€™1". We are both mostly back sleepers but tend to turn to our sides sometime in the middle of the night. Our current mattress is a Hilton Serenity Bed (made by Serta). The bed is too soft and too hot for me (hubby no longer cares). We would also like our next mattress to have less motion transfer.

I am hoping to either ā€œfixā€ our current mattressā€¦or to find a new mattress.

Thank you so much for your advice,
Sleepy_3.14

Hi Sleepy_3.14,

Unfortunately itā€™s not really effective to try and fix a mattress that was either too soft originally or has softened and lost its comfort or support. There is more about this and some possible options that may partially or temporarily help in some cases in post #4 here but in most cases you are better off with a new mattress.

Youā€™ve probably read this already but just in case ā€¦ post #1 here has some of the most important information you will need along with some steps and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

Some of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Reno area are listed in post #3 here.

Phoenix

Hi, I am so delighted to find this forum for all the same reasons everyone else is!!
I already know (and you have supported me in what I know) that I want a latex mattress, I used to have one and I miss it terribly!
I am not interested in poly-foams as I really want to stay away from any petrochemicals. I am having issues with pressure points and alignment on my current mattress, and I have had enough!
If you could refer me to a distributor or local manufacturer of latex mattresses in my area I would appreciate it. My zip is 90731, CA. I will go and test them before I purchase. I have read and will read again your advise about testing mattresses. Also what is your opinion about IKEAā€™s latex mattresses?

Thanking you in advance for everything you do here!!

Hi katsmi,

The better options in and around Los Angeles Iā€™m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

You can see my thoughts about the Ikea latex mattresses in post #3 here.

Phoenix

We live in the Indianapolis, IN area and am only aware of retail choices of mattress. As everyone, am looking for best mattress quality for best price. We have a queen bed and prefer that size. We have slept on the traditional ā€œtop-of-the-lineā€ Serta. Current one is a " Masterpiece" pillowtop purchased in 2000. We have had recommendations for Tempurpedic and Sleep No. but we travel and want to be able to sleep other places without misery. We are in our early 50ā€™s, active, have some lower back issues. I am a victim of night-sweats so ā€œhotā€ is not an option. My husband has a dust-trigger asthma. We are open to ā€œnatural/organic materials.ā€ We are willing to take a couple of day trips as necessary. We donā€™t want to have to finance a mattress that costs as much as a car, but will spend up to $3000 only if necessary.

Any suggested locations for Indy, or within a days drive?

Hi cindyvog,

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Indianapolis area are listed in post #2 here.

$3000 is certainly more than enough to buy a great quality/value mattress in a queen size (and in most cases there would be little reason to go as high as this).

Phoenix

I went to post#2 above and the information is in California. I am in central Indiana.

Hi cindyvog,

Ooos ā€¦ today seems to be my day for making mistakes in links. Thatā€™s the second one today.

Itā€™s fixed now ā€¦ and my apologies.

Phoenix

Iā€™m looking for a good place to shop for mattresses in the Boise, Idaho area. Two years ago we bought a Comforpedic Loft that Iā€™m pretty sure is the source of my chronic headaches and muscle pain and I want to make sure this time around I donā€™t make an expensive mistake again, but Iā€™m struggling to find anything that doesnā€™t sell just Serta, Sealy, Simmons, etc. I know of two furniture stores (run by the same family) that do sell Englander and Diamond Mattress Factory beds but other than that, nothing. Iā€™ve seen a number of complaints about Englanderā€™s quality going downhill the last 2 years though. Do you think that is true or just a few bad experiences? Any idea about Diamond?

Hi alanabanana,

The better options Iā€™m aware of in the Boise area are listed in post #2 here.

Hopefully youā€™ve also had the chance to read the first post in this thread which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will find most useful in your mattress research.

Diamond makes some good quality mattresses that are usually ā€œbetter than averageā€ in terms of quality and value but you may have some difficulty finding out the specifics of the materials they use in some cases (see post #2 here).

Englander is a licensee group with many licensee factories around the country each of which can make different mattresses and use different quality of materials. Some of them I wouldnā€™t consider (because of the use of lower density polyfoam) and others use good quality materials and have good value depending on the specific mattress and retailer.

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of materials inside it and all manufacturers make lower quality and higher quality mattresses so rather than going by brand itā€™s always wise to make your buying decisions based on knowing exactly what is in the specific mattress you are considering so you can make more informed decisions and make meaningful quality and value comparisons with other mattresses.

Dealing with retailers or manufacturers who can provide you with all the specifics of what is in their mattresses and have the knowledge and experience to educate you about the different types of materials and their advantages and disadvantages is one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Phoenix

PS: There is also a Diamond Mattress Factory in Salt Lake City, UT which is a smaller manufacturer and if this is the Diamond that they carry then they would be well worth considering because they are open and transparent about their mattresses and appear to use good quality materials and have good value. They donā€™t have a website.

Hi Phoenix,

Long time no write. Hope you are well.

The mattress and foundation have been airing out for two months. The mattress was fine on day one. The foundation still has a chemical smell (from the material on the underside) and a perfume smell (from the fabric that fringes the foundation around its edges). Both are unacceptably strong.

The manufacturer has suggested encasing the foundation in plastic to stop the smell. He also suggested maybe getting a carpenter to make a simple wood platform.

Iā€™m wondering if a slat ā€˜platformā€™, wrapped with some polyester to keep the mattress from tearing on the wood, might do the trick.

Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Just Right,

Thatā€™s good news ā€¦ and Iā€™m really glad to hear it :slight_smile:

I think both of these are good suggestions. Post #3 here also has some suggestions that may be helpful and if you do choose to encase your foundation in plastic I would make it at least 5 mil thickness of clear non toxic polyethylene. If you have a foundation made then I would make sure that any glue they used was of course also non toxic. The plastic would reduce airflow between the mattress and the foundation but this would probably be a worthwhile tradeoff in your case.

I would think it would and some of the KD foundations in the foundation thread here may be worth looking at. Some of these already come with a cover.

Phoenix

What a difference a couple hours of research makes! Huge thank you to Phoenix and the forum members.

Went shopping two weeks ago and had no idea what we were doing. Went shopping today and felt empowered. Even walked out of a store when I wasnā€™t happy with the vague answers I was receiving and after hearing the sales guy feed line after line of ā€œsales talkā€ to other customers. Started this process dreading what lied ahead, but now Iā€™m excited to find the right mattress.

Also, a HUGE shout out to Jeff Scheuer at Mattress To Go for his excellent Beducation videos on YouTube. I wish I still lived in SE Michigan so I could buy from him!

Hi jdg0928,

Iā€™m glad you found us and since youā€™ve spent a few hours on the site it would probably be safe to say you know more meaningful information than most of the salespeople in the mainstream stores. You may make a few eyes roll with your questions or comments!

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about your experiences and of course any questions you may have along the way.

As you probably know ā€¦ I also think very highly of Jeff and he is one of the most informed and knowledgeable people in the industry. Weā€™ve had some great conversations sharing horror stories :slight_smile:

If you havenā€™t found a local list on the forum then if you let me know your city or zip Iā€™d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I just wanted to say that without the tremendous wealth of information on this site, I would have made a terrible mattress decision. Now after reading and reading and reading, I am almost set to take the plunge. Will be taking a big risk in buying a latex from one of your online sources. I looked at IKEAā€“anyone ever buy a bed from them? Also looked at the non latex Shifman Traditional line made for Bloomingdales. They have a great financing option and a good exchange program. But in the end, I really want to move to Latex and in the local stores here in Philly, they are in the $4000+ range which is too much for my budget. Been happy on a Sleep Number bed for 18 years but now itā€™s time for a change. THANK YOU for this site.

Hi Betz,

There are a number of forum members that have purchased an Ikea bed ā€¦ particularly the Edsele and a forum search on Edsele (you can just click this) will bring some comments and feedback about it.

You can see some comments about some of the Ikea mattresses in post #3 here.

I would question the ā€œvalueā€ of a Shiffman mattress and I would make sure that you are able to find out the specifics of every layer in any mattress you are considering so you can identify any weak links in the mattress before purchasing it. This is the only way to know the quality of any mattress and price is not an indication of quality.

Youā€™ve probably read both of these but just in case ā€¦ post #1 here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible decisions and post #4 here has the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Philadelphia area.

Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Phoenix