How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Iā€™m looking for a comparison of two memory foam mattresses, after finding the specifics on the materials:

iComfort Prodigy
I found these in a previous post. concerns were it had too think of acomfort layer and may become a bit too soft after a couple/few years.

Sleep Number mLE - https://www.sleepnumber.com/eng/products/specialty-beds/specialty_beds?mle

Quilt layer is very thin, < 1", seems man-made (knit/rayon/polyester) but breatheable according to the site.
then 5" comfort/support layer followed by the ā€˜airā€™ layer and base
5" breakdown -
1" med-high density memory foam (4 lb)
2" medium density memory foam (3lb)
2" ā€˜high densityā€™ firm Poly foam

both were very cool and comfortable and sink in supportive to my wife and I which we liked alot. but longevity is my concern.
from research the life span is only 7-10 years on memory foam mattresses.

iComfort is $1K LESS than the Sleep number. if both last approx the same timeframe, Iā€™m saving the $$ :cheer:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Nysleep,

[quote]iComfort Prodigy
I found these in a previous post. concerns were it had too think of acomfort layer and may become a bit too soft after a couple/few years.[/quote]

The layering of the top half of the Prodigy is ā€¦

2" KoolComfort Memory Foam (5 lbs and high densityquality)
1" Comfort Foam (1.3 lbs low density/quality)
1" Cool Reaction Slow Recovery Latex (high quality)
2 3/4" CoolAction Gel Memory Foam (medium density/quality)

There is only an inch of low quality materials in the top layers so this would be within the guidelines I would niormally suggest although the iComfort lineup (or major brands in general) certainly arenā€™t the best value compared to other mattresses that use the same or higher quality materials and sell for less and I normally suggest avoiding them.

Sleep Number mLE

ADMIN NOTE: Removed Footprint to Discontinued Product | Archived Footprint: sleepnumber.com/eng/products/special...s/specialty_beds?mle

Quilt layer is very thin, < 1", seems man-made (knit/rayon/polyester) but breatheable according to the site.
then 5" comfort/support layer followed by the ā€˜airā€™ layer and base
5" breakdown -
1" med-high density memory foam (4 lb): This medium density/quality
2" medium density memory foam (3lb): Low density/quality
2" ā€˜high densityā€™ firm Poly foam: They donā€™t specify the density of this layer but this is also likely to be low density/quality.

This mattress has significantly more than around an inch or so of lower quality or unknown materials in the comfort layers (4" plus the synthetic fibers in the quilting) and I would definitely avoid it. You can also see my thoughts about airbeds in this article.

Hopefully you have also read post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you would need to make the best possible choice.

While both of these are choices I would tend to avoid ā€¦ the iComfort Prodigy has better quality and more durable materials in the comfort layers which is generally the weak link of a mattress.

Phoenix

in searching a few of the ā€˜off the beaten pathā€™ places listed in the last post, I may have found a worthy memory foam, from a materials standpoint. my wife and I putting it to the 15+ minute lie down test today.

Natura brand, based in Toronto. naturaworld.com/products/naturapedic-mirag-mattress/
the owner at Becker Furniture eventually tracked down the materials info:
Mirage (new model name)
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: naturaworld.com/products/naturapedic-mirag-mattress/

Quilt (total of <2" thickness I am told)
ā€¢Bamboo blend ticking
ā€¢2.3 lbs Pure NaturaWoolā„¢
ā€¢Natural cotton fire barrier
ā€¢1" Plant-based foam ā€“ (5 lb density but wasnt positive)

Core
ā€¢2" Plant-based memory foam (5 lb)
ā€¢2" Talalay latex ā€“ soft (ILD 18-24)
ā€¢6" Plant-based foam (5lb)

Curious anything that should make me pause on this one, from a quality standpoint. Obviously dependent on the ā€˜supportā€™ test from the 5 steps.
My goal is a fall into feel, especially for my shoulders (side sleeper), but supportive for lower back which does cause me occassional pain.
This seems to fit the bill quality wise. Price pretty reasonable and considering memory foam beds only last 7-10 years anyway, hoping for the higher end of that still getting the feel and support it starts out with.

Mattress Height
ā€¢11.5"

Hi Nysleep,

The quilting foam is polyfoam which means that it wouldnā€™t be 5 lb but since itā€™s only an inch it wouldnā€™t be a concern.

The ā€œplant basedā€ polyfoam in the base layer though is also the same polyfoam which means it also isnā€™t 5 lbs (which is a memory foam density and memory foam isnā€™t used as a support layer).

When you see these types of specs it would make me question the rest of them as well because someone who provided them didnā€™t know a lot about foam specs (or they would have immediately realized that the quilting foam and the base foam couldnā€™t be correct).

Having said that and assuming the rest of the layers are correct ā€¦ (the 5 lb memory foam and the Talalay latex) which is quite likely then there would be no obvious weak links in this mattress.

Natura (who went bankrupt and was purchased by Spring Air / Sommex) tends to use good quality materials in their mattresses. I would also make sure that the mattress is newly manufactured and not part of the pre-bankruptcy production (I have heard many reports that Spring Air may not be honoring warranty issues for mattresses that werenā€™t made since they purchased the company). You can see the production date of the mattress on the law tag.

Phoenix

Great website. We are looking for a new bed. Prefer a natural, organic, chemical-free option that allows each side to be customized. We have looked at saavy rest and flobeds. My husband is 5ā€™10 - 230#, back sleeper with some side sleeping. He often wakes up with low back tight/achy and sometimes right shoulder tight/sore. I am 5ā€™5" - 125#, side sleeper with some back sleeping. I often wake up with low back tight/achy and right shoulder tight/sore and sometimes hip soreness. What do you recommend for best layers / bed for our situation?

Hi lpeterson,

Iā€™m happy to speak to the quality of a mattress (and both of the mattresses you are considering use high quality materials) but mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here has more information about the two different ways to choose a design and layering that is most suitable for you.

Either your own careful and objective testing and experience on a mattress or more detailed conversations with a manufacturer or retailer along with the options you have before and after a purchase in terms of fine tuning or exchanging a mattress that you havenā€™t tested in person are the best way to choose the specifics of which design has the best odds of working well for you and is the best match for your personal value equation. This will give you a much more clear idea of which mattress is the best match for your own unique needs and preferences and the final choice between ā€œgood and goodā€ that is best for you.

There are far too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences to use ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ to make good choices when it comes to PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences)

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. Will start pouring over the details on this fabulous website. Can you point me in the direction of any retailers in Minnesota, Iowa or Wisconsin? Thank you.

Hi lpeterson,

Regions are too large for me to look through and most of the forum lists are centered on a city. If you can give me your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of.

Phoenix

We just purchased a Flobed Vzone. Canā€™t wait to get it! They recommended XF, XF, F for my husband and M, M, F for myself. The Vzoneā€™s are also customized for my husband and i with F/XF/F for my husband and S,M,S for my shoulder, lumbar, hip regions. Plus it comes with two shredded latex pillows. Mentioned Mattress Underground and got the 5% discount too.

Hi lpeterson,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know Flobeds is a member here which means I consider them to compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service and their vZone is certainly one of the most customizable options available.

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about your experience when you receive it.

Phoenix

Informative post! Thanks for the info!

Hi Phoenix,
Great informative website! Iā€™ve read all the overviews already too.

Can you please give me a recommended mattress outlet or store in 91801 Alhambra, CA?

Thanks again. You rock.

Hi kenzo,

Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Some of the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

Good luck ā€¦ and of course if you have any feedback or questions along the way that I can answer donā€™t hesitate to post them here.

Phoenix

Personally I sleep on a covered 6 inch HR 2.75lbs 34 ILD foam core. I have then added 2 covered toppers, the first is 2 inches of 3lbs Energia foam, and topped it off with 2 inches of 5lbs AERUS Memory Foam. I find that the memory foam on top of Energia with has a high resilience, makes the memory foam feel much more comfortable, as it is resting on a soft bouncy surface. This gives my mattress a bit of bounce with is great when I want to move in bed, or simply make love to my wife. The other advantage of this construction is that I can simply change the topper layers whenever I want, since they are independent of the HR core. If I want to make my bed firmer, or softer, or if the comfort level wears out, I simply change the top layers without discarding the whole mattress.

So glad I stumbled upon this site! Iā€™ve been sleeping on a W hotel pillowtop the last five years because they had it on the website for 40% off at the time I bought. Just started shopping for a new mattress and I want to make sure I make a good choice but it is absolutely exhausting. I almost pulled the trigger on a serta cool elegance or a sleeping beauty kristen pillowtop at a Sleepyā€™s store tonight. Everything I try in the store feels good to me. Itā€™s so tough to know whatā€™s really a good mattress. Are there any stores in MD or VA you could suggest that could help me find the right bed at the right price?

Thx in advance!

Hi dk410,

Hopefully youā€™ve read this already but just in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ the first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices (and avoid the worst ones including the major brands and anything they sell at Sleepyā€™s or other large chains).

If you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know of any better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Wow thank you for the quick response. I did read that post. Very informative but itā€™s left me even more nervous about shelling out my cash on something that isnā€™t absolutely perfect for me and my wife. Iā€™d love to get in touch with a reputable dealer who could help us. We live in Columbia, md 21045 and at this point Iā€™m more than happy to travel if I have to. Thanks!

Hi dk410,

Itā€™s probably a good thing to be a little nervous about buying a mattress considering all the misinformation and lower quality/value choices out there ā€¦ in the mainstream market expecially.

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of near you are listed in post #2 here.

If you follow all the steps in the tutorial post one by one, test each mattress carefully and objectively for PPP, make sure you know or can find out the type and quality of all the materials and components in any mattress you are considering or testing, and focus on retailers or manufacturers that are knowledgeable and comfortable talking about the materials in their mattresses and providing you with specific information and good guidance (instead of just generic or marketing information for the sake of making the sale) your odds of success will be very high.

Phoenix

Not sure how I missed that but thank you so much. Iā€™m going to visit healthyback, mattress fame, md mattress man, and discount mattress outlet next week. I need to purchase something by months end. I already feel much better knowing there are reputable dealers near me that carry good product. Iā€™ll let you know what I end up going with!

Great guide, as someone who just moved out on their own and never purchased a mattress before, this really helped. I like to do a lot of research before a big purchase in order to try to make the most of it and Iā€™m glad I stumbled across this resource.