How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Great post. Thanks!

Hi eddyp,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I want to thank you for maintaining this site. After checking with you, I went to a few local dealers and also contacted a number of your members. Last October, I order a 10" natural full size mattress from SleepEZ, and even though the mattress was on sale they still gave me the mattress underground discount.

The the three layers of the mattress were :
Natural Dunlop - firm and extra firm
Radium talalaly blend - medium.

Other than the size of the wholes in the layers and the tags, I could not really distinguish the Dunlop and talalaly layers.

Assembling the full size mattress on my platform bed was difficult for one person, but doable. At first I did not think the cover was big enough for the mattress but everything did go together. I assembled the layers medium, firm, extra firm. After two weeks, I was having trouble sleeping because of pain in my hip and shoulders would wake me up after a couple hours.

If I had bought a normal mattress form one the numerous retailers I would be out of luck and money.

However, with the latex mattress, I readjusted the layers to firm, medium, extra firm and the pain in my hips went away and the shoulder pain went awy for most part (I still occasionally have shoulder pain, but I attributed that to my bad back and sometimes awkward sleep position.)

I have rotated the mattress twice so far and do plan on rotating it every 3-4 months. Hopefully the mattress will last me for many many years.

Hi Doulas,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience … I appreciate it!

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so that it would be easier for others to find that are looking for feedback about SleepEZ rather than being mixed in with a more general topic.

As you know I think you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s also great to see that you were able to find a layering combination that works well for you and the ability to rearrange or exchange layers after a purchase is one of the biggest advantages of a component mattress.

Occasional shoulder pain can often be a pillow issue and it may be worth trying a different pillow to see if it helps. There are also some suggestions in this topic that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

I have researched over 100 hours and cannot find a firm answer on this issue. Any help appreciated!

My husband is 6’ 5" 240 lb. and I am 5’ 9" 130 lb. We are both side sleepers.

Currently we have a 6" organic Dunlop latex mattress support layer (I think it is firm but it may be medium density and no way to tell because we ordered too long ago and they don’t have it in their records anymore but it is what Soaring Heart sold in 2012 for the “Organic Quilted Latex Mattress”). It was fine for a few years but now my husband is having hip pain and I am having low back pain. The pain started when we had it on plywood (we didn’t know better at the time), but we have it on wood slats now which are 2.5" wide and spaced 2.5" apart and still have pain.

After over 100 hours of research I now understand our pain is in part due to no comfort layer (which we were not informed to buy at the time of original purchase to my recollection). We have tried the intelliBed topper, which we returned because I could smell the chemicals even though it is claimed to be “non toxic” and I slept worse and toss and turned even more. We lost about $200 on this deal between shipping/return shipping and the nonreturnable mattress protector. Then Soaring Heart told us to try their Deluxe Wool Topper and we both still have pain. No returns, so I get to try to sell it on craigslist or eBay. $1,175 loss on that as of now. We cannot afford to take any more losses so whatever we buy next needs to be the final purchase so we desperately need advice! We have borrowed a cheap memory foam mattress topper from my sister and put two old comforters over it so we’re not sleeping directly on the memory foam with the chemical off gassing. This has been the best pain relief thus far, but it is not a long term solution due to the chemicals and still imperfect pain relief. No matter what topper we have used, his spine is not aligned. His shoulders are way too high and do not sink down far enough, but his hips sink down quite a lot.

I read on Mattress Underground that “If it seems that your hips are always sinking down too far, then a mattress with a firmer zone underneath your hips is well worth trying. If it seems that your shoulders are always not sinking down far enough, then a mattress with a softer shoulder zone is likely the answer.” This appears to be my husband’s problem, so I thought a zoned latex support layer is what we needed and Hans from Cozy Pure agreed. However, Chris from Sleeping Organic said zoning is more of a marketing thing and doesn’t make much difference and what my husband really needs is a thicker mattress so he doesn’t sink all the way through it. I also read on Mattress Underground that medium latex in the comfort layer is good for someone my husband’s size and would be fine for me also (Cozy Pure agreed with this and Sleeping Organic recommended Talalay medium in the top comfort layer). We have narrowed it down to the two choices below but I cannot determine which is the best for our situation, so please advise:

Cozy Pure - 10" Organic Comfort Zone Mattress
Comfort layer:
3" medium Dunlop latex
Support layer:
6" zoned Dunlop latex with 5 zones

Sleeping Organic - The Tree 13" Mattress
Comfort layer:
3" Talalay medium latex (top)
3" Dunlop medium latex (upper middle)
Support layer:
3" Dunlop firm latex (lower middle)
3" Dunlop extra firm latex (bottom)

I am also sensitive to his movements at night. I read that a split mattress can isolate movement, but Chris from Sleeping Organic says a solid mattress will provide better support for my husband and he could sink into the middle where the two sides meet if we did a split. Any comments on that appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Hi Lady G,

I switched your post to a new topic of it’s own so your questions don’t get mixed in with other member’s posts in a more general topic.

Unfortunately you won’t be able to find a specific answer to your questions because the first rule of choosing a mattress is that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There are certainly many manufacturers and retailers that can provide you with good guidance but their guidance is based on “averages” and not everyone fits inside the averages.

It’s very unlikely that the plywood was the cause of your pain since both the plywood and the slats wouldn’t have any flex under your mattress so there would be little practical difference between them in terms of how your mattress will feel and perform.

I’m not sure how you came to believe that a mattress that doesn’t have a separate comfort layer would be the cause of your back pain because this wouldn’t be accurate either. If the mattress was a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) for several years then this would indicate that the mattress was a suitable choice when you purchased it and not all mattresses either have or need a separate comfort layer if a single layer keeps you in good alignment and relieves pressure in all your sleeping positions (see post #2 here).

There is more detailed information about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can make the types of changes that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing. The most common reason for lower back pain is a mattress that is too soft and the most common reason for hip pain is a mattress that is too firm (although a mattress that is too soft can also lead to hip pain if you are sleeping with your hips out of their neutral range of extension) but I would always keep in mind that these are not the only reasons for the symptoms you may be experiencing.

A topper can certainly help with a mattress that is too firm and needs some additional softness or pressure relief but a topper isn’t generally the most effective solution for a mattress that is too soft for you. While there is no way for me to know for certain whether your mattress is too firm or too soft … if your mattress is too soft or has developed some soft spots or “virtual” impressions then there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be worth trying to see if they have any effect on your “symptoms”.

Either or both of these may be true but the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for both of you will be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience. A suitable zoning system can certainly be helpful if someone has a more challenging body type or circumstances in trying to find a suitable mattress. There is more about zoning in post #11 here and the posts it links to but whether any specific zoning system will help any particular person always depends on the body type and sleeping style of the person themselves, the mattress design, and the specifics of the zoning system.

Higher body weights can sometimes also benefit from a thicker mattress as well relative to those that are in lower weight ranges but this also isn’t always the case because there are many other variables involved besides just thickness that is part of what makes one mattress suitable for one person and not for others. There is more about mattress thickness in post #2 here and in post #14 here but I would focus more on whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP than I would on the thickness of the mattress alone because there are so many variables involved outside of thickness alone that can make a significant difference in which mattress is the best choice for you. Based on “averages” most people don’t “need” more than about 8" to 9" of latex unless they are in much higher weight ranges (closer to the upper 200’s or higher) but they still may prefer it depending on the specifics of the mattress and their body type, sleeping style, and individual preferences.

Based on “:averages” a medium comfort layer would probably be “in the range” that would tend to be more suitable for your husband but again this will also depend to some degree on the overall design of the mattress and how all the layers interact because every layer of a mattress will have some effect on all the other layers both above and below it so there isn’t a “formula” that can predict whether any specific mattress will be a good “match” for any particular person that is completely reliable or certain.

Both of the companies you are considering are members of the site which means that I think highly of them and I believe they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency but again I don’t make specific recommendations for either a specific mattress or manufacturer because of all the unknowns and variables involved.

What you are really dealing with is how to manage the “risk” of an online purchase and there is more information in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which both of them do) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else (including me).

There is more information in the first part of post #2 here about some of the different ways that can help accommodate a couple that have different needs and preferences. Split layering can certainly help to some degree with motion transfer and it can also help in situations where each of your needs and preferences are different from each other and there are many couples in situations such as yours that are very happy they chose a split layer mattress. There is more about the pros and cons of split layering in post #2 here.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any weak links or lower quality materials in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about the suitability of each one, their prices, the options you have after a purchase to change the firmness or exchange or return the mattress, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Again I would always keep in mind that there are no specific answers to your questions and that the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good match for you will be based on your personal experience rather than “theory at a distance”.

Phoenix

Can I leave a review of a bed I bought? How do I do that?

I read the forum rules. Sorry to bother. I thought I could leave useful information on the tempurpedic rhapsody breeze. Thank you

Do you want me to leave a post? Confused!

How do I change my user name?

Hi Adams,

I switched your posts into a new topic of their own.

[quote]Can I leave a review of a bed I bought? How do I do that?

I read the forum rules. Sorry to bother. I thought I could leave useful information on the tempurpedic rhapsody breeze. Thank you

Do you want me to leave a post? Confused! [/quote]

While this isn’t specifically a review site and there isn’t a separate section for reviews … you are certainly welcome to share your comments and feedback about a mattress you purchased on the forum. All you need to do is start a new topic (just click the new topic button or tab) and then add the title and content you wish and click submit.

You can send me an email (click contact at the top right of the page) and let me know the username you would like to use and I can change it for you.

Phoenix

Thanks for sharing experience! very helpful :slight_smile:

Hi gjonh,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding as well and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

I am one of the few who bought a Simmons Olympic Queen (66x80) bed set back in 2002. I am not sorry that I did because that mattress was the perfect size. and it gave us several years of good sleep. They stopped making it shortly after they started. I am looking for a reputable quality mattress company that makes custom mattresses that would be as good or better than the Simmons Olympic Queen Beauty Rest it replaces. Can you recommend some Mattress companies in the Smyrna, GA area that can make an Olympic Queen mattress? I need to replace it soon and I have been looking into replacing it with a Wink bed custom made Olympic Queen however I like to know all my options and would really prefer to try them out before I buy.
Thanks

Hi
Can you give me any input on this bed. Simmons BeautyRest Crossover Meridian? I would like to know what it’s worth as well. ( I believe it’s a discontinued model) I purchased a 1300$ Talalay latex bed twin xl which I don’t like it was way too hard and made me sweat, the store Brooklyn bedding would like to swap out my 1300$ latex bed for this Simmons BeautyRest Crossover Meridian twin xl. I don’t see it being close to equal value.
Any info would be appreciated so I can make an informed decision.
Thanks!

Hello Phoenix,

I don’t see European Sleep Works in Berkeley, CA on the membership list. Do you find them reparable, or may there be a standards issue in your opinion? We live in Marin county and trying to narrow down the field on a “green” mattress.
Thanks for your input,
AllieAJ

Which is what? I’m finding this mattress buying process rather difficult.

Hi ademuzzy,

While European Sleepworks isn’t a member of the site … they are one of many manufacturers/retailers around the country that I think highly of that aren’t members here.

They used to carry Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses but they are now manufacturing their own line which is similar. You can see some comments about them in post #4 here and forum searches on European Sleep Works and on Sleepworks.com (you can just click the links) will also bring up much more information and feedback about them.

They make some good quality/value mattresses and they would certainly be worth including in your research if they are in reasonable driving distance.

Phoenix

Hi ademuzzy,

They were a spammer and only posted on the forum to add a link to their site (which I removed).

My reply to your other post here should also be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: