How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Greetings everyone!
I’m new here.
I was looking for a proper mattresses for my son’s bunk bed for a long time, so I was very happy when I found your mattress forum. What should I consider before buying one? My boy is 8 now and he’s already big, also, I’m certain that he will grow fast in next few years. Is there any way I could buy something that will last long enough? As far as I know, children need a more supportive sleep surfaces than adults. Or should I change mattresses every 1-2 years until he stop growing? What’s your opinion on Olee (mentioned here)?

I have so many questions and I would appreciate your answer, Phoenix.

Hi sleepy_jan

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The first suggestion I would have is to start with the mattress shopping tutorial here and make sure to you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

You are correct that children need a sleeping surface that is more supportive due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation. As you seem to be looking for something using polyurethane and Memory foam, I’d want at least CertiPUR-US certification for each of the foams used in the mattress. You’ll tend to find your best price with traditional innerspring style mattresses for this particular application. Post #2 here includes links to most of the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children and includes some suggestions and guidelines and links to some good quality/value options as well.

The mattress you mentioned is a 10" mattress containing 5" of pocket coil support layer and 4.5 inches of various foams of unspecified densities, which usually is a sign that there are lower quality foams that will break over time and cannot serve as a base for further adjustments as the child grows. With any mattress, you are considering, but especially for children, I would also make sure that all the foams listed in the mattress have safety certifications. As an alternative, you could checkout NestBeding 7" Big Kid’s Bed mattress which is in your price range and uses good quality and safe foams. They are also one of the our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

While adults can do better with memory foam …I am always hesitant to recommend this as a choice for children and Post #2 that I linked above has more about choosing materials that are “safe enough” for children. Children also do better with more freedom of movement than even more responsive memory foam can provide. Aslo … the microclimate of a memory foam mattress is not as breathable and temperature controlling as other more breathable materials and I believe that children need every advantage we can give them while they are sleeping, growing, and developing. Even with grownups, there are some guidelines that should be followed to make sure that you know what you are buying and that you can lessen the risk of buying memory foam in a very confused market that will supply you with lots of misinformation.

In general, for a growing child you won’t really need more than about 6" or so in thickness if you get a component style mattress when they grow older if they need some additional thickness or softness then you can either add another layer inside a new cover (if you have a zip cover) or add a topper to the mattress. One of the advantages of getting a multi-layered component style system mattress is that you can add or exchange layers as your child grows. If and when they need a softer comfort layer in their “sleeping system” you can also add a softer topper to any firmer children’s’ mattress when they get older and develop more adult proportions. If you desire something more “natural”, but want to keep the cost as low as possible, you could do something like this (SleepEZ, roma) or this (Arizona Pr) both trusted members of the site. There are of course other options out there, but I’m familiar with these. As the child moves from the preschooler/early childhood stage into teens it is usually recommended to adjust the sleeping surface towards the medium firm to medium (although growing children can adapt to almost anything) but you’d still want to keep it a bit “firmer”.

I hope this gives you a good place to start.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks for all your extensive work on this site. Can you please help me in understanding the better value between two innerspring mattresses? I’ve read through the guides on this menu but am having trouble deciphering what pros outweigh what cons.

The first option is the Flexus Comfort Posture Sense and the second is the Custom Mattress Makers Daytona. For me the major pros of the Posture Sense are that it’s double sided and has tri-zone coils. The pros of the Daytona are that the foam layers seem to be better quality (?) and there is an option to swap out the comfort layer with 1" of dunlop latex (ILD @25%: 21.5 - 24.5) for about $60 more, but not sure if I would actually notice a difference.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Hi lolabelittle.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum!:slight_smile:

I am not sure how important innerspring zoning is in your personal value equation but Daytona is an InEuroring/Poly Euro Top mattress which uses 8" 'Quantum-Edge Bolsa’s Leggett & Platt coils providing an even surface using 16 ga encased coils and 15 ga steal edge perimeter. Flexus’innerspring is 6" with 3 zones encased coils with 15 ga center third support and 15.5 ga coils an older unit from Leggett & Platt.

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/66/Seethe3zoneBodyPrint.pdf
Zoning systems can certainly be useful and well worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on careful testing or your own personal experience.

The 1" of- HR 2.8lbs foam used in Daytona above the spring is one of the newer generation extremely durable high-performance polyfoams which is also more immediate in its response and would be a quality and very durable material. Depending on the feel you are after it may be worth considering exchanging the 1" HR Poly for Dunlop. Only you can really answer how you feel about latex or any other material. Each person has different preferences and the choice between latex and polyfoam and different budgets is part of each person’s individual value equation. There are many different types of mattresses in every category including latex so its quite possible that there are some you like and some you don’t and each could have a different feel and performance. The upper layers of a mattress are the most important part of durability because they are the most subject to repeated compression and mechanical stress and for most people (but not all) … they contribute more to the overall “feel” of the mattress as well.

The price point would obviously be another part of your personal value equation and I don’t make specific recommendations because only you can decide on the “value” of a mattress purchase relative to the other mattresses you are considering. There is a bit more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hello, I’m the newest member of this lovely community. I’m getting married in a month. I’m looking for a matress that is perfect for a couple. I live in New Jersey by the way. :slight_smile:

Hi thaliadaniels.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on getting married! Finding a perfect bed for a newlywed couple! … it a wonderful problem to have :lol:

The first thing I’d recommend before trying to find a “perfect” bed, in general, is to realize each person/couple is unique and a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person/couple or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on, I’d start with doing a bit of research to pinpoint what your needs and preferences are in terms of feel, materials and firmness/softness…. I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

You can perform a forum search and you can type a key term any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving such as New Jersey or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you.

I hope this gives you a good start and once you’ve had the chance to narrow things down a little further, feel free to post back with any specific questions and I or any of our Expert Members will be happy to assist you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, thanks for the tips and advice. :slight_smile: I’ll check this out, it’s really a great help to me. :slight_smile: I’m wondering if there are good mattresses for my pet, though, I saw some pet beds which I think will be perfect for my pet. :slight_smile:

Thank you for “The Mattress Underground”, your in-depth articles and help to educate us toward making great decisions in purchasing mattresses.
I have read and studied all the articles on this website and many of the communications in the “Talk to the Expert and Forum” sections along with other similar sites, and still not found a definitive answer to the question of (How high humidity affects natural latex). There are many references to how natural latex, wool, and cotton can wick moisture away. I have not found information on moisture retention or the lack of it in high humid locations. Having researched dozens of mattress manufacturer websites it seems this aspect is not an issue they talk about either, however, I and millions of others must deal with this situation.
Living in Maryland near the Chesapeake Bay, sometimes spring and fall become quite humid and as my residence is built on a concrete slab foundation that tends to cause more humidity to accumulate. I sleep warm therefore I don’t want memory foam and would like to purchase a mattress as organic as possible. I will be buying a medium firm mattress due to my sleeping style. Research has shown an innerspring mattress may breath better but I’m concerned about other elements in the mattress retaining moisture. I am even considering a futon mattress if that will mitigate moisture. I see I could place the mattress on a “Natural Bed Rug” and on an open slat bed base for additional breathability.
Any links to and additional information referring to this challenge would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully, Wren22.

TEST

Difference in 3 or 4 layers

I purchased a 3 layer all 3 inches of latex mattress. I am 6 ft 1 in and 320 lbs. I have a bad lower back and my mid back hurts also. I purchased layers of extra firm dunlap on bottom, firm dunlop, and medium talay. I purchased these from SleepEZ. it’s a king so I am able to move some around. the first was way to hard. I then tried extra firm Dunlop, medium talay and medium talay. it’s better but not perfect. I suspect the only option I really have left is to try the firm Dunlop, medium talay and medium talay. I am trying to decide if I should purchase the 4th layer to do the extra firm Dunlop, firm Dunlop ,medium talay, medium talay. I need the support but need the softness to actually sleep. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello wren22,
Thank you for visiting Luma Sleep in the Experts Forum. Your questions and concerns over humidity and its impact on the mattress are a bit unique, which is likely why there is little information available and definitely not “definitive” information about the impact of humidity. In certain product industries, such as electronics, and in particular in government purchasing processes, humidity chambers are used to conduct product testing so that the impact of environmental factors such as humidity (moisture)on the product performance can be quantified. There is no such testing or data related to using humidity chambers in the testing of mattresses.

Assuming your mattress is not outdoors :wink: , the level of humidity inside your residence will be relative to the climate controls of your furnace/air conditioning system. While a highly humid in-home environment will contribute to some moisture on the surface of your bedding (blankets, sheets, etc), the primary source of moisture impacting a mattress comes from perspiration. Most consumers do not realize that a average adult will lose 1-2 lbs while he/she sleeps at night, and this weight loss is primarily water loss from perspiration. What makes perspiration have an impact on the mattress is that the moisture is combined with pressure (body weight gravity) and body heat. The compression of the quilting materials and lower density foams used in many mattresses that result in body impressions is a direct result.
In regards to how latex reacts to high humidity, there are 2 factors that make latex somewhat impervious:

1. Latex is foam rubber that is fully cured when it is molded and dried. In this way, latex does not take a compression set meaning that the latex returns to its original height condition when the body’s pressure and heat are removed. The moisture from perspiration and/or humidity will not have an effect on the latex durability.
  2. Latex, particularly Talalay latex, has an open cell foam structure. This provides for air flow through the material, which is commonly referred to as the breathe-ability of the foam. The open cell structure of latex foam will help dissipate moisture as well as heat (air), as well as allowing for the moisture to evaporate when then mattress is not being slept on.

Mattresses with fabric covers that contain materials that “wick away” moisture such as Tencel should also be considered if you have a humid environment or perspire/sleep warm.

Hope this helps address your concerns!

Team Luma

Hello Sleepy34

Thank you kindly for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you are not sleeping comfortably.

In most cases lower to mid back pain equates to lack of support at the hips (mid-section). When your hips aren’t receiving enough support, they tend to contour too far into the mattress, thus causing back aches (there are of course exceptions to this rule…but very few). Normally for someone weighing 300lbs or over, the absolute softest configuration that we recommend is what you started out with; Medium over Firm over X-Firm.

My question is have you tried a firmer configuration to see if that will relieve your back pain? Before you try an even softer configuration, (which will eventually worsen your back pain) I would recommend trying a firm over medium over extra firm configuration to add more support directly against your body. Indicators that your mattress is too firm are experiencing pressure points at the hips and shoulders. This can cause numbing in your arms and legs as well as pain in the hips and/or shoulders.

If you would like to discuss further by phone, please don’t hesitate to call our office at 480-966-8731 from 10am to 6pm MST Mon-Sat and 8am to 4pm MST Sundays.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.

I can’t figure out how to start a new post.

I just bought the Botanical Bliss by PlushBeds. When I unrolled it I realized it had three layers that had to be stuffed into the mattress cover and zipped up. The edges of the latex are sharp, but the edges of the cover are rounded so they don’t fit correctly. Overall, the three layers don’t line up so the edges are uneven. I spend an hour trying to get it straight, but it seems helpless. This is making the mattress look like it sags in the middle, when I think the real problem is the latex layers don’t really fit the cover of the mattress.

Is this normal? I’m not sure why they would make a mattress like this!

Other than it sagging in the middle it’s a comfortable mattress.

kristenpark - Assembling latex layers and getting them to line up can be tricky and quite frustrating as you’ve experienced. Here are a couple of videos explaining the proper process for waving the layers into place which I hope you’ll find helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnPAhUQT2QM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTRwYKo2v0o

Thank you so much! That’s very helpful.

My PlushBed is sagging in the middle. I doubt it’s a defect. I am hoping that once I get all the layers in correctly it won’t sag any longer. The bed seems to be too wide for the frame, but again I think that’s the layers.

I will work on getting the layers in correctly this weekend!

kristenpark - Since you mentioned your mattress is sagging in the middle I’d also suggest that you verify your base or foundation is providing the proper type of support required for a latex mattress. As you’ve learned they’re very heavy and different manufacturers have varying requirements as to the support needed for their mattresses as well as what is required to meet their warranty. Looking at PlushBeds site they describe their requirements here, particularly detailing what is required in the sections on foundations. If you are using an older boxspring under your new mattress that may be the cause of the sagging you noticed. You can also try the mattress temporarily placed directly on a carpeted floor to help determine whether the sag is actually a problem with the mattress itself or possibly being caused by your foundation.

I’m using a slatted bed base with planks of wood. I had checked before buying, and it says it meets the criteria. I will try the mattress on the floor, as well as reworking the layers. It helped to see that you tuck the edges down.

Thank you so much for sending the videos, and for taking the time to respond. PlushBeds never responded to the message I sent to them about this. They also did a hard sell to me on the phone - they didn’t want to discuss any of their certifications, kept driving me to the sale, said they would give me their “managers special” if I bought then and there but they really just gave me the price on their website. I am not impressed with them.

Hi,

it seems we’re supposed to reply to this thread rather than start a new thread?

First of all, thanks for all the info in the original post!!

I’m extremely light, low BMI, and every mattress I’ve ever tried was too hard. I’m looking for the lowest density possible. I’m also extremely hot at night; so I was thinking linen and bamboo are the coolest, or maybe wool (since there seem to be no linen filled mattress toppers). I think Talalay would be too hot for me, so where can one find a super low density wool/bamboo/linen mattress pad? And is that really what I should look for?

I’m wary of cooling gels or other ‘high tech’ materials. When I’ve bought such materials for clothes, they didn’t breath at all. I suspect natural materials are still best.

So maybe a thin, 100% bamboo cover, over a 5cm wool topper?

Or would latex be softer than wool? So maybe 1cm wool, and 4cm talalay?

You would think there would be some kind of wool/silk/linen/bamboo mixes, keeping things all natural while taking advantage of the cooling properties of each? With loose-knits?

Is there a difference between wool-fiber fillings, and a wool pad such as this?

https://oviland.ru/namatratcnik?_openstat=bWFya2V0LnlhbmRleC5ydTvQndCw0LzQsNGC0YDQsNGB0L3QuNC6INC40Lcg0L3QsNGC0YPRgNCw0LvRjNC90L7QuSDRiNC10YDRgdGC0Lg7Mmd4MS1uaE1MMjlTZU1wVzd3LWZDZzs&frommarket=https%3A%2F%2Fmarket.yandex.ru%2Fcatalog--namatrasniki-i-chekhly-dlia-matrasov%2F60756%2Flist%3Ftext%3Dш�%25&ymclid=405802447041867818500007

Is one generally cooler or softer than the other?

Hi Albert,

Sorry for the delay, your question was moved to our section yesterday, and I’ll try my best to help out.

If you’re looking for something to soften your mattress, I would suggest latex over wool because wool will compress over time and not have the same buoyancy and bounce-back that latex will provide long-term.

Instead, wool will settle and form a “nest” around your body which many sleepers enjoy, but again in our opinion, it doesn’t help make the bed “soft and cushy” and it sounds like that is what you are looking for. This settling is part of the batting that compresses in a fiber wool topper.

The wool pad in your link looks like it’s a fleece wool pad, these don’t provide a “deep” cushioning, but rather a minimal surface softness, with the benefits of wool temperature control. Depending on the wool type, and process at the mill, sometimes the wool fleece can “clump” so you would want to follow manufacturer maintenance instructions.

Also, as a side note, natural latex does not sleep hot, so you should be OK, just be sure to cover the latex to avoid oxidation and that is where you would make sure the fabric covering the latex is made from natural fibers such as organic cotton or linen, because you are correct that covering with synthetic polyester will trap heat and you may sleep hot.

Best of luck to you!