How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi joekane,

Thank you for the kind words, and welcome to the forum :).

And yes we love the “gory details” of the mattress making business, are you kidding me!!!

Also had a preconception that ‘pillow top’ meant ‘too soft’, and ‘will develop impressions’. Our current mattress itself wasn’t bad at all, and I have to say we were usually happy to return to our bed after sleeping anywhere else.

You make good points regarding personal biases … typically they are either “inherited” from what we consider trustworthy sources or are built over time from direct experiential data and facts, but the inherited type rarely take into account that we all are different and have different needs and preferences, You are correct that many poorly made pillow tops do end up with surface impressions and sagging. Also “side-over …. Rotisserie” sleep position LOL, I understand perfectly what you mean but I am sure your wife will be very willing to forgive the tosses and turns provided that you look for the next solution to minimize it.

That Sealy mattress was a good mattress and your point about being “a decade older” … this also makes a difference…. don’t we all know that! So yes there have been some substantial qualitative issues and the mattresses that you buy from the major manufacturers, in general, are much lower quality than they were 15 - 20 years ago and the process of continuing to confuse and mislead consumers, make mattresses with built-in obsolescence built into their design, and not disclose meaningful information about the materials that make meaningful quality and value comparisons increasingly difficult is now the norm. Well done going to Magic Sleeper and trying their beds. As you are aware Magic Sleeper are a member of our site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry… I am glad that they guided you through checking out what feels right to you. You are correct that some Dunlop beds can be too firm for some people and I think that your overall direction of the hybrid / Talalay makes perfect sense.

Generally speaking, there is no such thing as a mattress that is “good for back pain” (just like there is no such thing as one mattress that is suitable for everyone) … there is only a mattress that is good for “YOU/Him or HER” back pain and this would be a mattress that keeps your spine in good alignment in all your sleeping positions over the course of the night and would be different for different people. Also, remember back pain can happen when you are out of alignment, and this can happens both for too soft and too firm beds. Unfortunately there are far too many unknowns, variables, and different possibilities involved to be able to pinpoint based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” It is not possible to “diagnose” any symptoms you have on an online forum as this is would need a thorough in-depth analysis

Shoulder pressure points and pains while sleeping on your back can come from a mattress that is too firm and puts direct pressure on the shoulders, the shoulder blades, or on the back muscles and can also cause soreness or numbness and tingling in the arms or can often come from postural issues as well. There is a bit more information about sleeping positions and posture this in this article here .

Comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment are the two most important functions of a mattress for everyone so you certainly aren’t alone in this but the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress will be a suitable choice that provides you with both will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it because different people can have very different needs and preferences in a mattress in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences).

Regarding the specs of the EH:

[quote]
“2 inches: base poly foam: (high density 1.8 lbs/cu. ft.) 60 ILD
8 inches: 6 turn 12 3/4 gauge Leggett and Platt wrapped coils
3 inches talalay in three layers:
1 inch ILD 35
1 inch ILD 35
1inch ild 20 (top layer)
wool/silk (firebarrier)
organic cotton quilting
The mattress sides are encased in HD poly foam 1.8lbs/ft. ild 80”[/quote]

As far as I can see the mattress does not have weak links in terms of durability and materials for average BMI individuals (as described in our mattress durability guidelines), but I would be a bit cautious regarding quilting materials and keep in mind that Natural, Semi-Synthetic, or Synthetic fibers: Fiber materials are usually used as a quilting material in the cover and will tend to pack down and form impressions to some degree over time (although these will also tend to even out as you sleep in different parts of the mattress) so I would tend to make sure that any fiber layers are only “about an inch or so or less” (again in practical terms I would use 1.5") to minimize any impressions in the mattress to a level that won’t have a meaningful effect on the comfort and support of the mattress."

I am not necessarily a huge fan of three separate layers of 1" latex, most times decisions to have so many separate thin foam layers come from managing SKUs in inventory, etc. Most blended latex, especially the two Talalay producers make a 70% synthetic / 30% natural, the 97% synthetic is confusing to me when people are quoting Talalay. The L&P wrapped coils is a very good coil support system. I have to say I am glad they said the split box spring sounded like it will be just fine (especially with your “five hardwood oak 2.5-inch slats -all with center supports for the bed”. Make sure you check out the warranty details for Eastman House so nothing is “voided”, but it is nice to see people give you honest opinions instead of “forcing” one to buy a new one.

Some side reading To help you better pinpoint the cause of the pains and tossing and and turning you are mentioning I’d recommend a bit of side reading of some of the forum posts that talk about fine-tuning a mattress and may help you recognize or “diagnose” the underlying cause of different types of “symptoms”, pain, or discomfort that may be connected to a mattress…

• post #2 this is the primary reference post for different “symptoms” that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress)
• Post #45 (this is particularly worth reading as well)
• Post #2
• post #6
• post #6
• Post #4
• Post #7
• Post #7
• Post #18
• Post #136

Please don’t hesitate to ask more questions of us and of any of our trusted members, and I look forward to any updates and finding out what you decided.

Phoenix