How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi Sohio,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground forum :). It seems you came to the right place … our Mattress experts are happy to share their wealth of knowledge and “hold your hand as you venture into the scary world of mattresses”

It looks like you are in a hurry to get a mattress fast … this is not a simple process by any means, which is why it is so critical for all of us, as we age, that we do first a bit of research to help narrow down a few products that best match us in terms of needs and preferences.

Your description of what you like to sleep on when you tried the Tempurpedic is good and helpful, but it is critical that you find the bed with the right specifications, with your BMI and medical issues, doing this really fast could be creating more problems than if you take your time to understand your specific needs as they relate to your particular condition.

A high BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). There are also a number of forum posts and threads about mattresses and higher weights and a forum title search on heavy Some examples include:

1. Latex & Memory foam for heavy weight in post #2 here and …
  2. Starting Mattress specs for heavy weight person in post #2 here and …
  3. Mattresses for a heavy weight person topic here and …
  4. about Mattresses for Plus size people in Post #3 has more information and suggestions about heavier weights.

As a brief synopsis, higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress. For polyurethane foam, if your mattress is one-sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher. For memory foam (or gel memory foam), if your mattress is one-sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

Many of our Mattress Expert Members of the site specialize in mattresses for heavyweight people and also do side by side split kings that seems to be suitable for you. At a quick glance, you can reach out to Arizona Premium Mattress
SleeepEZ but you may also wish to comb through our Mattress Trusted Members here

All of the retailers will have mattresses that can be used on adjustable split king foundations, this is very common. I know that you posted with Richmond Bedding, but I would highly recommend you check more of the Trusted Members, look at their product portfolios and then call and ask them questions. I would certainly suggest to you to rely on the advice of the manufacturer themselves as they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you. The more accurate and detailed the information you provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choices out of the options they have available. Of course the options you have available with each retailer or manufacturer (or with a particular mattress) and your ability to exchange layers or the mattress itself or use other forms of fine-tuning after your purchase or the return policy may also be an important part of your personal value equation or to offset the risk that can go with any online purchase.

Be sure to read the mattress durability guidelines to make sure the specifications will give you the support you need. It would be best if you could read and try to follow the Mattress Shopping Tutorial and take the time needed, but I know you are pressed for time.

Mattress buying online is the same as buying from a retailer… it can be a good idea and a great experience when dealing with retailers and manufacturers that are Knowledgeable and experienced … but it can also be “a bad idea” if dealing with salespeople who are focusing on marketing stories rather than what is in the mattress and how well a mattress is matching any individual sleeper. it truly comes down to the companies/brands you deal with. The online mattress purchasing is very common these days, with over 20% of mattresses bought online. It is becoming very normal.

I hope this sets you on a productive mattress finding path.
Phoenix