How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hey kkleinkopf,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Always a pleasure to hear from new members keeping in mind the rules for posting to TMU’s forum regarding advertising, non-expert member retailer linking etc. We are proud of the relationships with our Trusted Member retailers/ manufacturers, their years of expertise in the mattress industry and the professional insights they provide our consumer members. They have a deep understanding of the “cause and effect” relationship of components in the mattress design process and have earned their reputation of educating others in a “fair and transparent” way.

Congrats on your new mattress purchase. Feel free to check in and share your experience with everyone following a month or so “sleep adjustment” period.

Cheers,
Sensei

Hey rp0475,

You’ve provided lots of good feedback on your Luma Mattress purchase and comfort exchange, thanks for sharing with the TMU forum. :slight_smile:

Have you shared your comfort exchange thoughts with Team Luma? As one of our Trusted Expert Members, they would be interested in your concerns and could extend the trial period a bit longer to better determine which of the two toppers better suits your comfort preferences. Perhaps a conversation on what you’ve experienced so far will help them suggest what next steps could be, you can contact them directly either from our site here or Chat/ call directly through Luma Sleep’s site here. All of our trusted members are dedicated to providing both high quality products and a superior consumer experience. Hope this helps…

Thanks,

Sensei

I sent them an email on Friday but haven’t heard back yet. In the meantime, I was just curious what your advice here might be about what the issue is…although I realize that ranges from difficult to downright impossible to diagnose without actually seeing it. I know my spine is curving down too much, but I can’t tell if it’s because the topper is too soft, too firm, too thick or not thick enough. Whether it’s the softness causing it too curve, or even possibly that it’s not soft enough for my shoulders, so they’re being held too high causing my spine to have to curve down to meet my hips. I wish I could take an x-ray of my spine and the individual layers of my bed to see for sure what was happening!

Hello everyone - I’m new to the whole informed mattress buying game. There are so many nuances to buying a mattress that I never stopped to consider. After staring at screens for as much time as I have, its time for me to go lay on some mattresses. I’m very interested in latex, but I’ve never knowingly slept on latex before. So here is my problem - I can not for the life of me find anywhere remotely close to me that has latex mattresses to demo. I live in Northeast Mississippi and I’m willing to drive. I’m looking n the Jackson area, Tupelo area, Starkville area - or anywhere else that I can convince myself is close. Does anyone have any experience in this area of the country? Anyone know where I can demo a latex mattress? All of the former posts that address Mississippi are dated and haven’t produced any good results for me.

Also - i have no idea if this is the right place to post this or not. If not, someone please point me in the right direction. This site has a ton of great information, but it is far from easy to navigate. For example - i have no idea how to post a new thread. Or if I’m even allowed to do that. So if I’m in the wrong spot, someone let me know.

My many thanks, also, to the many posters here – you’ve volunteered more information than I had imagination to consider. I’m gearing up to buy my first new bed in twenty-three years, and this forum provides all of the information, and then some, that I need to make an informed decision. I’ll be buying my bed from a manufacturer, recommended on the forum, located close to my home here in north Texas.

Hey billyzanejr,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your kind words about the site and yes, you can totally start a new topic at the “Ask An Expert” pagehere. Choose one of the Trusted Members from the list of “General Mattress Questions” and on the following page, select the “New Topic”/ green button on the left. You can also use the forum’s “search” and enter “latex mattress” for example to find existing threads of interest. Glad you asked, “creating a New Topic” is often a question from new users.

I strongly suggest to new consumer members to check out Phoenix’s Mattress Shopping Tutorial it’s a good 101 reference for use of TMU Forum resources, the 5 steps in making the best quality/ value choice, and Trusted Members program explained. It is a lot of reading and yes, you will need to lay on some mattresses but you are definitely heading in the right direction to understand your PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment and Personal preferences) and experience the feel of latex.

Specifically for Northeast MS, unfortunately the answer is no, mainly due to how retailer programs change on a monthly basis, not all stores carrying the same assortments as others. I would always give referral preference to one of our trusted manufacturer/ retail members as many of them ship latex mattresses and have sound “Comfort Exchange” policies. That said, feel free to ask consumer members about their experience too. I’m moving this thread to a new topic, “Shopping Latex Mattresses in Tupelo, Starkville MS, Jackson TN”

BTW, hey @farfallah, welcome to the Forum to you as well :slight_smile: ! Glad to hear you’re finding the resources here useful and thanks too for supporting a recommended TMU manufacturer in your area. Would be interested in hearing about your mattress choice and experience, following a reasonable “sleep adjustment” period. You may find the links in this post/ above useful in the decision-making process as well. Best of luck to you both!

Cheers,
Sensei

I’m trying to follow the instructions given to billyzanejr but I’m not finding the “New Topic” button. Does anyone here mess with sleep number beds? I recently moved and the movers packed my sleep number bed. When I went to set it up, the pillow top and mattress cover are gone so I have the pump, air mattresses, foam sides, 2 foam tops, and box springs. Where can I get the case, plastic corners, and pillow top?

Thank you for any help!

Sorry if this answer seems somewhat obvious, but to get specific parts that you need for a Sleep Number bed you’d have to contact them directly.

What’s the best way to ask forum member thoughts on two different retailers?

Hey stuuke,

When I responded to your SleepEZ post yesterday, I meant to also check in about this question you asked the TMU Forum recently:

This is a good question as many new consumer members ask for tips on searching topics, how to start topics and use the resources available here. In the “General Forum”, use the “Search” bar to find if the retailers you are researching have existing topics that would be helpful and post your question to one of those.

If you prefer to start a new topic, click on the green “New Topic” button. On the next screen in the “Category” field, choose to stay in the “General Mattresses Questions” default category, the other categories are specific to Expert Trusted Members’ Q & A discussions (but you can totally check those out too, Expert Members love to help with questions, even about other retailers). For the “Subject” field, be specific about your topic name, it will help draw other consumers searching similar posts to your question. For example, if you live in a particular area and are ONLY interested in shopping among retailers within a certain driving distance, say it in the Subject name like this: “Mattress Shopping near ATL GA- Any thoughts on Retailer A vs Retailer B?” OR, using any other key words that would help consumers find your question to comment on it later, as new posts come in afterwards and continually change older posts’ order. Another example is a mention about the type mattress you may be comparing between retailers: “ISO King Flippable Mattress in NYC area- Opinions on Retailer A’s ‘Nite-Nite’ model vs Retailer B’s ‘Sleepy Time’?” OR, you can always post your topic and say, “Sensei, please rename/ move this topic for me”, I’ll be happy to do so :slight_smile:

Before signing off, I’d also like to remind new Consumer members of the TMU Forum rules, you’ll find all of the general guidelines to keeping this space informative, friendly and helpful. Thanks again stuuke for your question, hope this helps.

BTW, did you get the answer to this question in one of your other recent posts?

Cheers,
Sensei

Hello, I have been pouring through the avalible info on this site for the last couple days and feel educated enough to make a post.

My wife is 5’ and 120 lbs, i am 5’11 240 lbs, i have been sleeping a lot on my back for a couple years, but historically prefer to sleep on my side and stomach, i do change during the night in many cases. My wife is more of a back and side sleeper alternating during the night.

I ordered a mattress a few months ago from Brooklyn Bedding, the Brooklyn signature, in medium firmness. At that time I had been enduring a painful memory foam mattress for almost 2 years. Previously I had only had innerspring and pillow top innerspring mattresses which were great for me.

I was really looking forward to waking up feeling normal, but unfortunately the medium firm signature did not do the trick. I felt different, in the morning, than with the memory foam, but I still had to do a stretching exercise in the evening to be able to function comfortably the next day. Before the stretches, i was in constant upper and lower back pain throughout the day, and extreme stiffness first thing, i felt like an 80 year old at 30. While it wasnt that bad with the signature, it wasn’t good either. From what ive read here and elsewhere, i think the memory foam was probobly to low density (it was a very cheap bed in a box) and wasnt giving me the support or pressure relief i needed. The medium firm signature i intially assumed wasnt firm enough so i switched to the Brooklyn Signature firm.

After about 4 weeks of the firm, I was on the fence, I wouldn’t say I felt exactly the same way as I did with the memory foam (which was deep stiffness and lower back and shoulder pain) or the medium firm mattress, but I am still experiencing lower back pain and some morning stiffness. So I tried adding a memory foam topper we had from a previous mattress. (I wonder about that memory foam too being a cheap walmart topper) Ive been testing that for about a week.

While in some ways this was more comfortable to lay on going to bed, It didn’t resolve the back troubles, and I think either the mattress or topper is causing a new soreness in my left hip and knee. My wife also reported to me that while the medium firm was better for her than the memory foam, the firm was less comfortable without the topper. But with the topper she has been having some other issue.

So the last couple of nights I have gone back to my baseline test mattress, which is a standard innerspring in my guest bedroom. And when I go to sleep on it, I don’t have to do any stretches the night before, and I wake up feeling almost 100% I believe if i slept on it for a week or so i would be back to normal. My knee and hip also seem not to be bothering me as much.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what the solution is. Having done extensive research, I feel like an innerspring with a pillow top is probably what I should try next, and I have slept on one of those in the past without issues.

However, as I do not see that BB offer that type of mattress, I wanted to know if one of their other options may be a good option for me to try. I have looked at the Bowry (i don’t think i should even consider an all foam at this point) and Bowry hybrid, and I don’t think that’s going to be an improvement on the signature hybrid.

So it seems I’m comparing the Bloom - Spartan - Aurora Hybrids. Which (if any) would you suggest I try next, and in what level of firmness? It is my understanding that support and firmness are not the same thing, and as a firmer mattress hasn’t solved the problem, perhaps a more supportive mattress in a medium firmness would be advisable? From the research I have done, the coils on the aurora/spartan are 8", 16 gauge and there are more of them than the signature, which isn’t necessarily better, but combined with the denser and different foams, may provide better support and comfort, especially with me being a heavier person.

I posed this same question to BB and am awaiting their response, but im curious what you expert folks think. Thank you for your time!

(I would have made this its own post, but i didnt seem to have that option.)

Follow up, BB got back to me with a 1 sentance reply “check out our titan” which appears to be on another website, but based on the description, is nearly identical to my existing BB signature… not happy.

They say the mattress design is totally different, the coil system, the titan uses 13G coils instead of the 6G coils the signature uses, which in turn will offer more support.

Does that sound like it would make that much difference?

The BB Titan is a unique model in their line which is specifically designed for heavier individuals. It would definitely have a firmer feel to it and should offer more support than their standard models, but it may be too firm for your wife at her lower weight. Very hard to predict how it might suit each of you but I would expect it to be much firmer than the Sig. If you do decide to exchange for one you should check whether you’d still have any return option if it doesn’t meet your needs, since many companies limit customers to one return/exchange.

Well, this would be my 2nd return/exchange, but ill check with them.

Any thoughts on if it would be better to look into an innerspring or their spartan/aurora series?

From comments in your earlier post I’d guess you might prefer a hybrid model rather than their all foam choices, but the manufacturer might be the best one to help you with that decision.

Yeah, well i meant a pure innerspring as opposed to a hybrid, and yes they only sell hybrids or all foam.

NEW MATTRESS AND CHOICE OF MATERIALS

Dear all,

I’m new to the forum and find it extremely helpful. I’m really struggling as for the last 4 years we have been through 4 different mattresses and frankly none of them have worked so far. We have bought different things from a basic mattress to more expensive ones and on-top we have experimented with some top-mattresses. Key challenge we have is that they get hot: memory foam was absolutely terrible but experience with Latex with “cooling effect” and natural latex was also not great.

I’ve identified a mattress I’m interested in, key characteristics:

• it’s organic and with natural material, chemical-free, non-toxic
  • pocket sprung in cotton pockets
  • lambswool on-top combined with either Denim or Natural Latex (perforated) in the middle.

My key question is which of the two would be the most preferable material: Denim or Latex for the filling. My view:

• Denim: I like Denim because it’s natural and I feel that it will be really “breathable”.
  • Latex: the manufacturer says that this is the most breathable material of the two, especially as there are holes in it, however as talked I have bad experience with it and I’m not persuaded.

Any thoughts/consideration/guidance would be really appreciated,

Peter

Hi PeterKKB,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I have moved your post to its own thread as from your description I am guessing that you are looking at some European beds.

Sorry to hear that none of the 4 different mattresses you tried hasn’t worked out for you. You’ve certainly struggled through this and did good work as your current final choice has many “characteristics” of a mattress that sleeps much cooler than a typical memory foam mattress. While I can confirm your findings in terms of material choices … the sleeping temperature of a mattress is determined always by a combination of several interacting factors in combination with a specific person and environment.

There is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials but all the materials used in your mattress of choice favor breathability, moisture-wicking, and a much cooler sleeping climate. To summarize and add a few other factors to consider:

• You are correct to move away from the memory foam as this is the least breathable foam and can sleep warmer than other materials.
• While the upper layers of a mattress are the most significant part of temperature and moisture regulation … deeper support components that allow more airflow also have an effect and so pocket coils are one of the most breathable types of cores and will also tend to sleep cooler than foam support cores as long as the air can ventilate to the outside of the mattress.
• Latex also is the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. Latex allows for more airflow than any other foams and when changing positions on the mattress the air will be moved in and out like within an accordion but this depends also on the order of the layers and components.
• Wool is also a great choice in the comfort layer because of its ability to store moisture and perspiration without feeling wet (it stores moisture inside the fiber itself) and regulates temperature this is also great used in combination with cotton because of its ability to wick moisture away from the body into the wool. Cotton doesn’t, however, store moisture as well as wool without feeling wet.
• I am not aware of any specific mattress that uses “Denim filling” unless you are just referring to a Denim mattress cover that the bed uses. (You may wish to provide a link to the mattress you are asking about … I’d be very interested to see it)
• In very general terms … the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses and how they compare would also depend slightly on the order of the layers and components

The temperature microclimate has much to do with your own temperature sensitivity, the materials used in the mattress that are closer to the skin and many other many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, the mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and also where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) . Generally, some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with but you can read more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

I’ll be interested to learn about how you progress through your evaluation.
Phoenix

Thanks a lot Phoenix, this is most useful. Essentially it feels that both options could potentially be good with Latex having an advantage. I’m really intrigued by Denim (it’s actually a combination of recycled denim with cotton) but a bit afraid from your watch out that cotton might not be as breathable. Thanks again for the input!

Dear Phoenix, further to your message please find attached the 2 mattresses I was talking to you about:
Denim: https://www.naturalmat.co.uk/splendid-spring-soft
Latex: https://www.naturalmat.co.uk/sumptuous-spring-soft

Any thoughts are more than welcome, thanks again!

Hi PeterKKB,

Thanks for providing the links to your two mattress finalists manufactured by the UK based company Naturalmat.

Based on your criteria you are in the fortunate position that both would likely be a suitable choice with no weak links in terms of durability and great in terms of temperature regulation. From your previous description, I was a bit concerned about the use of recycled cotton in a mattress but the denim used in their mattress filling is thoroughly cleaned, shredded, and futher processed using noninvasive methods.

Generally, cotton and various cellulosic fibers are more cooling than synthetic fibers and my note regarding cotton was more connected to possible “clamminess” and humidity, which are certainly related to temperature regulation. While cotton is a more temperature neutral material it may feel clammy or humid when saturated but in the case of Splendid Spring, the denim is used in combination and placed under a layer of lamb’s wool which has the ability wick away and to store moisture into its fiber. Additionally, the wool layer is closer to your body and any moisture absorbed by the cotton mattress cover will be “transferred” to the lamb’s wool layer thus reducing the feeling of clamminess. All in all, it is still a great combination for wicking moisture away. The Sumptuous Spring option may give you slightly more of a cooling effect due to a little more air circulation but it is also double the price of the Splendid Spring. Both mattresses are well designed and use good/quality materials. The company is environmentally aware and using natural biodegradable components and sourcing their materials based on Fair Trade principles

Your choice between “good and good” would depend on all the criteria of your personal value equation that were most important to you as outlined in post #2 here and can be helpful to revisit and perhaps a more detailed conversations about each of their 2 products you are considering, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after the purchase to fine-tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on "informed best judgment.

I look forward to hearing back about your final decision and any other questions that you may have.

Phoenix