How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Know the different type of mattress options, usually mattress range from classic firm or plush options to higher tech mechanically operated beds through remote controls. Its better to do some research before buying the mattress and try to know about the list of option and type available with the mattress.
Memory foam mattress are made from material that mold to the shape of your body when you lie down and also it will maintain that shape althrough the night.
Sleep number mattress this type of mattress can be made harder or softer with touch of a button. These mattress are divided into different zones.
Basic firm or plush mattress made from variety of materials and are sold at every price range.

Have an understanding of your physical needs- first make sure whether you are an side, back or stomach sleeper because some mattress are designed to accommodate specific sleeping positions. So you can choose the mattress which suits your sleeping style and comfortness.

Set your budget before you go for shopping: Mattress stores sell a lot of extras, like mattress covers, pillow tops, bed frames, and other items you donā€™t necessarily need. Know exactly what youā€™re willing to buy before stepping into the store. Your mattress will work just as well without accessories, so donā€™t buy them unless you want to.

Thanks this is the most useful guide Iā€™ve found researching all over the web! Absolutely essential when looking for a new bed. Youā€™re a lifesaver!

Hi Valerie_Greene,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: And thank you for the kind words.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,
Recently my wife and I stayed at a Hampton Inn, and like other, we were impressed by the Serta they use. Thankfully, we stumbled across this site!
I was hoping by providing my zip code you may be able to point us in the right direction as to what retailer we could visit and which king size might be a close match.
Many thanks
AJ

Hi AJ,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

[quote]Recently my wife and I stayed at a Hampton Inn, and like other, we were impressed by the Serta they use. Thankfully, we stumbled across this site!
I was hoping by providing my zip code you may be able to point us in the right direction as to what retailer we could visit and which king size might be a close match.[/quote]
Certainly! Supply your zip code and Iā€™ll do my best. While you wonā€™t necessarily want to match the specifications of what you slept upon (as those materials tend to be lower quality in both the Serta and the contract bedding commonly used in hotels), you can use the guidance of a knowledgeable local retailer or manufacturer to approximate (using higher quality componentry) the comfort of the item you tried at the Hampton Inn.

Phoenix

Iā€™m very meticulous when it comes to choosing the foam mattresses
thatā€™s why I used to visit a lot of online review sites before purchasing what brand will fits my taste.

Hi mauricedudeley,

Your post linked to a mattress promotional web site (and a poor one at that), which is a violation of the rules of the forum . Please abide by the forum rules or this will cause your posting privileges to be terminated and your account to be banned from the forum.

I removed your original post.

Phoenix

Phoenix: Some time ago you suggested Midwest Mattress as a possible source. They were helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and what they did not know they found out. I ended up with a bed that is working well, and got the mattress underground discount to boot. Frankly, with some of what I consider subtle (but meaningful) differences between the beds when I tried them, I donā€™t know how ordering online could possibly work for me. This did. Many thanks.

Hi PA_Buzzard,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :lol: Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying it and I hope to hear back from you in the future after youā€™ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while longer.

One of the advantages of trying mattresses locally is that you can try many different types and styles and combinations of materials and components and firmness levels and compare them to each other in ā€œreal timeā€ based on your actual experience rather than just ā€œtheoryā€ instead of trying one online mattress at a time and not knowing how it compares to the other mattresses that you could have tried or purchased instead. Many people are more sensitive to subtle differences in layering combinations, so a local visit quite often is their best choice, as in your case.

Thank you for the follow-up.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for great informations. Your post is a very long post so it took me awhile to read all of them. I didnā€™t expect there would be many to consider when it come to mattress.

Hi Marion.Y,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!. :slight_smile:

There certainly is quite a bit of information here, but if you start with the first post in the thread, it will be a good guide for you.

Phoenix

New member here. I have to admit that I hate the idea of shopping for a mattress, but I am very glad to have come across your site. We are apparently very fortunate to live near Yankee Mattress Factory and, once armed with information from your site, we will venture out to one of its showrooms. Thanks for being there for the rest of us!

Hi dwhewlings,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m glad youā€™re finding the information here useful.

As youā€™re aware, Yankee Mattress Factory is a member here, which means that I think highly of them. Iā€™ll be interested in learning about your visit, and any potential questions that you may have.

Phoenix

New member here; I just want to say thank you for all the information on this site. It has been very helpful as I am looking to get into a new latex mattress!

HI atwood7fan,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!:slight_smile:

Iā€™ll look forward to any comments or questions you may have, as well as learning of any feedback about any purchases you might make.

Phoenix

I am also a newbie here and I found it very useful that I got so much information from this site.

HI thelmap,

Iā€™m glad you found the information here useful. I combined your other posts/questions and replied to them here.

Phoenix

Phoenix

I so appreciate you having this forum to gather information on mattresses! I have a problemā€¦There is way too much informationā€¦ Im an intelligent guy but damnā€¦ hahaha I have tried to locate a sleep shop in my area (sarasota florida) that can assist me in finding something that works. All the sleep shops that seem to be in my area all carry the big name brands only that you mention to try to stay away from. I did some research (before reading your forum) and landed on a purple mattressā€¦ Read a ton of reviews and seemed like it would be a great fit for me as Iā€™m a side sleeper at 230#s. Well Iā€™ve been sleeping on it for about 3 weeks and its no better then my 15 year old mattress. I wake up with horrible back pain. Can you please point me in a direction? I have read many of your articles but they never seem to give me a clear direction to go in.

Thanks in advance !

Hi Fountain333,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Youā€™re very welcome. Itā€™s a labour of love.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent ( see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Sarasota /Brandenton area is here .

While I can certainly help with ā€œhowā€ to choose a mattress, itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components, because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The one article I would have you rad would be the mattress shopping tutorial here. Drilling down to it in its simplest form ā€¦ choosing the ā€œbest possibleā€ mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then ā€¦

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) ā€¦ and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or ā€œfine tuneā€ the mattress and any costs involved if you canā€™t test a mattress in person or arenā€™t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress (see the durability guidelines here).

3. Comparing your finalists for ā€œvalueā€ based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Iā€™m sorry that your Purple mattress isnā€™t working out well for you, but at least you had the foresight to choose something with a good return policy. Using reviews is one of the least reliable ways to predict whether a mattress will be appropriate for your own personal use. While other peopleā€™s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone elseā€™s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words ā€¦ reviews or other peopleā€™s experiences in general wonā€™t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

I hope that information helps to simplify things for you and also helps point you in the direction of some reliable local retailers who can be assistive to you in your process. Iā€™ll be interested in learning about anything that end up purchasing, your experience, or any other questions you may have.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
This is such a beautiful post. Every Mattress Lover must read before buying a mattress. Your post is more informative and helpful to buy a new mattress. I must share with in my friend and family.
Thank You.