How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi anonymom,

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Minneapolis area are listed in post #2 here. Original Mattress Factory is on the list and is usually among the better options in the areas where they have a store.

This depends more on the layering, the firmness of the layers, and the type of foam (memory foam, polyfoam, latex foam) in the mattress than on the brand. Different types of foam and different designs can be firmer or softer and different types of foams respond very differently from each other as well. Some tend to allow you to sink ā€œinā€ the mattress more while others tend to keep you ā€œonā€ the mattress more both when you are sitting on them as well as lying on them. Even in the Serta line some will do this more than others depending on the contents of the mattress. Memory foam may do this more than most because it sinks in deeper with heat and compression than other materials but it also depends on the thickness of the memory foam and what materials are underneath them. Itā€™s more about how the materials and layers in a mattress and how they react to your body weight and position and even though a mattress isnā€™t designed for the more concentrated weight of sitting vs lying ā€¦ it would be something that you could test for as a preference on any particular mattress that was otherwise suitable for you.

So the simple answer is sometimes yes and sometimes no and ā€œit dependsā€.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I had written earlier about getting a home made mattress built for me in Maine, but I do not have that option. I mentioned that I had purchased a Serta innerspring mattress and am dissatisfied, but I cannot return it - I can only exchnage for another Serta. I am going to stay away from their i comfort foam series after reading through this site. :frowning: The one I can exchange for has two options for the comfort layer and I would like to run them by you. (The support layer will be the same oin both-800 Conintuous coils,high count and gauge).( I am 5"6, 135 lbs, sole sleeper, side sleeper). Unfortunately I cannot get out of this deal, so have to make the best of it. I have low back issues and scoliosis so need good alignment in the core layer and then decent support (not sinking too much) in the comfort layter(s). Here goes:

Option I THeir ā€œfirmā€: 1inch comfort foam within quilting,then 3" HI IFD Support Foam plus more 1" comfort foam - on top of the innersprings

Option 2: THeir ā€œPlushā€: 1 inch comfort foam within quilting, then 1" Hi IFD Support foram plus convoluted topper- (I assume this is similar to egg crating>

So which is the best of two bads? I can always sell this bed once I have it and then go get a mattress I need, but for now I have to pick. I am thinking the one without the eff crating. Any help appreciated! I wish I had seen your fantastic site before I made the purchase but you cant win them all!

Great resources and info. Thank you!
Whatā€™s the real scoop on foundations for memory foam mattresses? Different sites give different info.

Thanks for the great info and tips. I went to Restwell Mattress Factory store today and found a bed I like more than anything else Iā€™ve tried, but I donā€™t want to leap until I run it by you. It has 6" High density poly foam topped by 3" Vented memory foam. On top of that are two layers of 5/8" poly foam quilt. The price for a full set is 4799. Your thoughts?

Hi anonymom,

Tthat certainly couldnā€™t be the price for the mattress alone which would be outrageous.

What I (and you) would need to know is the density of all the layers in the mattress ā€¦

3" vented memory foam: What is the density of this layer.
6" Hi Density polyfoam: What is the density of this layer.
On top of that are two layers of 5/8" poly foam quilt": This is ā€œin the rangeā€ of an inch or so so knowing the density wouldnā€™t be as big an issue for me but I would still ask.

I would also need to know the size you are looking at and the ā€œmattress onlyā€ price.

If you are looking at an adjustable bed to go under this then I would compare this separately.

I would never consider buying a mattress without knowing the quality of all the layers that were in it.

Phoenix

:ohmy: Price had typo. Price for full size set is 749.
Density:
Memory foam: 3.3 lb.
polyfoam: 1.5 lb
Did not get a figure for top layer.

Hi anonymom,

The density specs you are mentioning are not good in either the memory foam or the base layer (see the memory foam criteria here) and I donā€™t think its particularly good value in its price range. I personally wouldnā€™t consider it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Trying to decide on a correct firmness for an Ultimate Dreams Latex. I am a sidesleeper and am short and heavy. Any suggestions on whether a firm(3 or 4)middle (5or 6) or plush (7 or 8) would work best for me. thanks for a great forum.

Hi Lieberman,

The most accurate way to decide is with some local testing on similar mattresses where you know the details of the layers (which you can use as a guideline)

If this isnā€™t possible ā€¦ then Chuck knows their mattresses better than anyone and which choices are the most likely to work for different body types and preferences based on the ā€œaveragesā€ of their customers and their own knowledge of their mattresses. A conversation with him would be the next best way to help you decide.

Phoenix

In regards to the ultimate dreams euro king mattress, if we needed to replace the 3 inch latex topper in the future, would we be able to replace it with another latex topper from another company?

Hi summit454,

Yes ā€¦ you could use any layer that was the same thickness, latex or otherwise.

Phoenix

Newcomer. Intimidated.

Hi Danusha Goska,

If you just take things step by step (following the guidelines in the very first post in this thread) you will be fine.

Remember that connecting with the experts who already know what you would otherwise need to learn and knowing just enough to recognize who they are is always much easier than trying to become an expert yourself.

And of course if you have questions along the way you can always post them here :slight_smile:

Phoenix

What are your thoughts on this:
http://www.originalmattress.com/serenity/overview

Iā€™d be getting this in the full size.

Hi anonymom,

Iā€™ve mentioned it quite a few times on the forum and I think itā€™s a very high quality memory foam mattress and uses similar quality and density foams and similar layering as the Tempurpedic Rhapsody.

Phoenix

Hey everyone,

Iā€™m feeling some pain in my back after sleeping in my bed, so Iā€™m thinking about ordering a new one, and would really appreciate some help in choosing a mattress and topping. I should also mention that Iā€™m a complete beginner regarding mattresses, this is the first time Iā€™m about to buy a new one.

Iā€™m 26, male, 185 tall and weigh arount 80 kg. Iā€™m pretty slim/normal built, and (I donā€™t know if this matters) my density is pretty high. They have half price on mattress + topping in a shop close to me, and I can choose between medium and firm firmness. Iā€™m thinking of going with a firm matress as I have a high density, Iā€™m above medium weight and firm felt best when I tried both in the shop. Does that seem wise? Also, does the mattress seem any good? Itā€™s ~400Ā£.

[b]
Specs:

Mattress[/b]

Memory Foam	
90x200x47
Feather Type: Pocket + Pocket
Feathers/m2: 250/220 		
Comfort zones: 5	

Topping

Memory Foam
90x200x8	
Core quality: 50kg/m3
Core height: 5cm	

Would really appreciate your help! Thank you

Hi vane505,

You may be better off being a beginner so you donā€™t have to ā€œunlearnā€ what so many people have come to believe over many years of shopping for a mattress. The first place I would start is Post #1 here and the information it links to which is the most important post on the forum. In an hour or two from the time you start reading or scanning it you will know more about mattresses than most of the people who sell them.

As you will also see ā€¦ the mattresses you are listing donā€™t include the type of information about the quality of the materials or layering that is in them to make any kind of quality or value assessment. To do this you need to know the details (including the thickness and foam densities or in the case of latex the type and blend) of every layer and component in the mattress from top to bottom. Some of the description you provided makes no sense to me (such as ā€œFeather Type: Pocket + Pocketā€)

I donā€™t know anything about the UK market so I canā€™t provide you with more market specific guidelines (or have an idea about what would be ā€œgood valueā€ there) but the same general information and guidelines would apply in any western country and Iā€™m happy to help in a more general way than would be possible if you were in the US or Canada.

The only meaningful ā€œspecā€ in the listing you provided that provides any foam density information is ā€¦ Core quality: 50kg/m3

If this is referring to memory foam then itā€™s very low quality (I wouldnā€™t look at memory foam in any layers more than an inch or so that was under 4 lbs/ft3 density.

Phoenix

Hello and thankyou for this site. It is a breath of fresh air. I have decided that I hate this industry, it has made a comparison shopper like my self frustrated to no end a huge run around in trying to get facts and compare. I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a new bed for over a year but am afraid of wasting my money. We have been comparing 2 beds at sleep country. The Buckingham and the Heatherton. We like the feel of the Heatherton. both are simmons. We just bought a simmons about 4 years ago and we are tired of waking up sore all the time. this led me to this site this morning as I am going to pull the trigger with our income tax money. We both start out sleeping on our side or back but almost always end up on our stomach so too soft is really bad for the back and I have found that too hard gives me pins and needles on the pressure points. I live in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada and know of no reputable place to shop for good mattress. If you do PLS help. I will continue to educate myself on this site. Thankyou again for the real information.
Chris

Hi roadwarrior_41,

The first place to start is always post #1 here (the first post in this thread) which along with information it links to will give you all the information you need to make much better choices. Part of these are a set of guidelines which suggests avoiding all major brands including Simmons because for the most part they wonā€™t even provide their retailers with the information that allows consumers to make meaningful comparisons. I would also avoid all the chain stores because after even an hour or two of reading you will know more than most of the salespeople that sell mattresses there. Itā€™s usually the smaller manufacturers that either sell factory direct or through better sleep shops that use much better quality materials in every price point but most importantly will disclose them to consumers.

As you can see in post #8 here ā€¦ there are very few places I would even consider buying a mattress in Saskatoon outside of the single Saskatoon manufacturer that is listed in post #4 here of the same thread.

Phoenix

Thank you for all your hard work in providing relevant information on mattress shopping. Iā€™ve learned much reading through this site.