How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi Elizabeth,

You’re very welcome … and thank you for your comment :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So much information out there its enough to make your head spin - so glad I stumbled upon this site.

Still a lot of information here but with all the helpful posts from Phoenix and the rest of the forum members and a few weeks of research I have narrowed things down to two specific mattress models.

Will be pulling the trigger on one of them in the next week after conversations with the manufacturers.

So much easier - and cheaper - then the big box mattress stores.

Thanks for being here!

Hi Otaku30,

I’m glad you found us as well.

The guidelines should help keep you “on track” but if you have questions along the way feel free to post them.

Phoenix

This was an incredibly helpful guide, Phoenix. Thanks for taking the time to put all this info out there on the Internet.
Best wishes,
Nick

Phoenix,
Thanks for a great site.
I have been on an adjustable bed with the same mattress for the last 31 years. It is a split king and the wife is still satisfied with her side of the bed so I will just replace my side.
I have narrowed the choice down to 2. Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam or the Ultimate Dreams Latex 10" both from Amazon.
A few questions or comments…will the latex be “bouncy”? As a child I had to sleep on a latex pillow for awhile and I remember it feeling like I couldn’t keep my head still. It kept jiggling around like it was on a ball. Should I expect the same from the mattress.

I am 6 ft and 170 lbs. Narrow shoulders, wider hips and slim build. I sleep on my side with my shoulder underneath me. The bottom leg is straight and the top on in the fetal position. I usually change sides every few hours as one side of my nose gets stuffed up. My main complaint is that my shoulder joint can be quite sore in the morning. This is not all the times, just sometimes. I have no other problems.

I think I like a soft bed but have no experience on one. I know that I don’t think I like real firm ones. I have read most of your site, well at least up to page 30, and learned alot but can’t find an answer that satisfies me.
Any help on which one to go for?
Thanks
phil

Hi phil,

That depends on what you mean by “bouncy” and it will also depend on your comfort choice and body type and sleeping style. It won’t be like the pillow becaue it has and it has polyfoam in the quilting above the latex and polyfoam below it as well which is less resilient than latex but it also will be more more resilient or “lively” than memory foam. I normally suggest testing a latex mattress locally to see how it feels for you rather than trusting anyone else’s subjective descriptions. Your own experience can be very different from someone else and I personally would not order a material I didn’t have some familiarity with … especially when most areas of the counry have some latex mattresses you can test.

Yes … if you are at all uncertain or haven’t determined the layering you prefer from your own local testing … then I would make sure I had a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer and go by the “averages” they suggest are most likely to be suitable for your height and weight. Just keep in mind that “averages” may not necessarily apply to any particular person so that you take the risk into account as part of your “value equation” if your mattress doesn’t have layer exchange possibilities.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Today I found a store that had a latex mattress. It was a Spring Air Aristocrat. 7" core. The salesman didn’t know what the density was, only that it was a plush. I laid on it awhile and it felt good. Looking at reviews it seems not to be a very good quality but it still gave me the feel of latex. I then went back and forth between it and some memory foam and decided that I really liked the softness of the latex better.
I think the Ultimate Dreams Latex will be the one to get with a number 7 softness rating being a side sleeper.
Anything else I need to know?
Thanks
Phil

Hi Phoenix,

I am a newby to your site and need some direction. I purchased a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe, but am not able to sleep comfortably on it, perhaps it’s too soft? Anyway, I am going to try to sell it and am interested in getting something that really works for me. I live in south central PA and do not see any of your manufacturers anywhere close to me. Do you have any recommendations for finding a good mattress in this area? Do you only recommend the latex? How crazy would it be to get a mattress without testing it? I believe I may be looking for a hybrid rather than a pure foam because of my Tempurpedic experience…

I have read a great deal since finding your site.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to link you to any of the forum lists that are close to you.

The first place to start is the first post of the thread you are posting in (post #1 here) which will provide you with all the information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make a good choice (and answer your questions :))

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick response. I live near York, PA, zip code 17403. I just spent some time on Amazon looking at the BB mattresses. Since I recently bought that Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe, a less expensive latex would be welcome, especially if I can’t sell it. Your thoughts? Like everyone else, I am a bit concerned about ordering a mattress online. I have had three back surgeries and need to get this right. There is an Organic Mattress Store in Hellertown, Pa, but that is a pretty far drive from here.

I really appreciate your assistance and the information on this site!

Hi Phoenix,

One other question… I had gotten a Serta iComfort before the Tempurpedic (have not had a great mattress experience this year) and that is the base that I currently have under the Tempurpedic (the store wouldn’t exchange the base). Could this base be used for a latex mattress? It appears to be sturdy enough, but I wasn’t sure how much air circulation there might be and whether in a long run it would be problematic.

Thanks again for your advice.

Hi Lynne,

Post #2 here includes the better options and possibilities within reasonable driving distance around the York / Harrisburg, PA that I’m aware of.

Post #1 here has all the information steps and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices. It will give you a step by step process that will help you know “how” to make good choices and what to look for (and what to avoid) rather than having anyone else tell you specifically “what” to buy … which is not really possible for anyone to do for someone else.

Yes … the Serta Stabl Base foundation will likely be fine but you should always check with the manufacturer of any mattress you purchase to make sure that the foundation you have is acceptable and satisfies their warranty. A wire grid foundation has good ventilation.

Phoenix

Just posting to say hello. There is obviously a lot to absorb here and I appreciate this site’s existence. Am primarily looking for an alternative to spending almost 4k for a tempurpedic cloud supreme breeze. Will be soaking in all this data. Have a bad back and sick of waking up in hip and back pain. Really liked the mattress, but just too much money, as they are obviously price fixed at the retail and online level. Anyway , have a lot of reading to do here.
Thanks
Sk

Hi Stevenk,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!.

You’ve probably read this but just in case you haven’t post #1 in this thread is always the place to start.

There are certainly many great options that are at least as good quality and much better value than the $4000 you would spend for the Tempurpedic Cloud Breeze … with lots of room to spare.

If you have questions along the way … feel free to post them here … and of course if you let me know the city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I know of in your area once you get to step 3 :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So happy I found this resource! Heading the Bustic on Saturday and looking forward to get a quality, locally-made product!

Whoops! I meant Buis Mattress in Holland, MI in my previous post!

Hi lkc,

That makes a little more sense :slight_smile:

As you know I think very highly of Buis (which is why they were invited to be a member here) and I’m looking forward to your feedback on your experience there.

Phoenix

My wife and I have about settled on buying a 100% all-natural 9" latex Arizona Premium Mattress. Since we are both big (fat–I’m 315 and my wife is 240), we are thinking of a firm 6" dunlop core. The problem comes with the top layer. I spoke with Greg at APM. They offer a 3" upgrade from the normal 2" top layer. My wife and I have historically prefered Very Firm innerspring mattresses. Greg can do a 28 ILD 3" top layer of talalay or a 3" dunlop that would seem firmer. I’m having a hard time choosing. Any thoughts, comments, or warnings? We are both in our 60’s. We are both side sleepers. I have had a below-the-knee amputation of my right leg.

Hi Egghead,

There are so many variables involved in how each person will interact with a mattress that the most accurate way to know how a mattress may feel or perform for you is through testing a very similar mattress locally in person.

If this is not possible (and I would make this a priority if possible) … then the next best way is with a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer who can give you good information that will help you understand the pros and cons of the options they provide.

Dunlop has a higher “support factor” and will feel firmer and more supportive than a similar ILD of Talalay. It is also a little less lively. It’s difficult to describe the difference to someone that hasn’t tested both in person but post #7 here may help you “imagine” the difference.

Because there are too many variable involved to make any specific design suggestions for the members here (I leave that to your own local testing, research, and more detailed conversations with each manufacturer) … the “Putting the layers together” and the “Sleeping style, preferences, and statistics” sections of the site and the 'tips and tricks" page may give you some helpful insights. Bear in mind that heavier or larger people may need thicker/firmer comfort layers (as well as firmer support layers) than average depending on their sleeping style and positions and side sleepers will usually do better with thicker comfort layers as well. Because of your weight … a firm Dunlop core sounds like a reasonable choice to me. For the comfort layer which provides much of the “feel” of a mattress … I would rely on any local testing you have done along with the insights provided by APM and your research on this site to make the choice that has the best odds of providing you with the PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) that is best for you.

Phoenix

I am new to the search for a new, comfortable and affordable mattress.The information on this forum is invaluable.I have learned a great deal and have only just started to explore the subject.Thanks for all the useful information