How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Mikep,
We have been very pleased with the Odessa model. It is very well constructed, looks good and is very smooth in operation. The only glitch was one of the headboard brackets was bent. I called Glideaway and sent pictures. The sent a replacement part promptly. I did call their support center once and they were very helpful. It was obvious they knew their product.

RRM is a good company. Jesse knows his product and was very responsive to questions. I had low expectations for the white glove service we paid for but the guys who set it up were excellent. I had the instructions from online (plus with the shipment) but they hardly needed them. The elevation kit does complicate the setup slightly but they did not have any problems with it and it works great. They had it fully operational in less than an hour.

RRM saved me $700+ over the best price in NC or other online retailers. I highly recommend RRM and the Odessa. The price was great and they were very responsive to me whenever I needed his assistance.

Hi Mikep,

Thanks for the post. And @johnep, thank you for responding with your experience. I am glad your Odessa Glideaway adjustable (incline) version is still working out, I had a good feeling it would because of your solid research on the latex mattress and the Odessa adjustable from RRM. It’s always tremendously helpful for all TMU consumers, to have hear first-hand experiences from other members.

Good luck Mikep, and please let us know what you decide and if you have any other questions.

Phoenix

Had my Sleep on Latex for a week and a half now. It seems pretty good. My shoulders and lower back are gradually feeling better.

Hi doctorx0079,

Congratulations on your new Sleep On Latex mattress:lol: !

As you are aware they are one of the trusted members of our site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Thank you for your update and the good news on your shoulder and lower back improvements … great to hear this. Consumer feedback and progress are very helpful to others experiencing similar issues… You make a very good point, that back and shoulder aches will take some time to get better… it’s not always “night and day” after just one night’s sleep… it takes a while for the body to unlearn bad habits which oftentimes have to do with muscle tensions and body trying to compensate for inappropriate posture or alignment.

Thanks again hope everything continues to work out well.

Phoenix

Hello, I found this website in my research journey for a great mattress. I have already found a lot of good info on this site that has helped to answer many of my questions.
Our current mattress is a hybrid with coils as the base with a 2 inch high density foam (don’t know what kind - probably poly foam) on the top. From day one it has been way to firm for us. We have had it for 12 years and it’s still too firm. For the first few years, we tried a 2 inch memory foam topper to make it softer, but that didn’t work. For the past 10 years we’ve used a 3 inch memory foam topper, but it’s still too firm (I think this topper is fairly dense which could be part of the problem). We both keep having to change positions all night long because we wake up uncomfortable. My husband especially has trouble with waking up with sore shoulders. According to the information I’ve found out here and on other sites, it sounds like my hubby and I are too light weight for a firm mattress - wish we would have known that 12 years ago before we bought our current mattress. Sheesh!
My husband and I are both tall and thin. He is about 140 pounds and I am about 128 pounds. Both of us are side and back sleepers.
From what I have learned on this research journey, I was appalled at what I found out about the chemicals that are used to make mattresses and furniture. Once I realized that most of what is sold out there isn’t good for us, I decided that I wanted something more healthy. I have narrowed my search down to a latex mattress. We live in Alberta, so I have been looking for a latex mattress that is made in Canada and reasonably priced. In my search, I happened upon the website for Memory Foam Canada and then found out that they are one of your trusted members. We have been considering the 8 or 10 inch Maoli mattress that is sold by MFC. I have emailed them with a few questions and they have responded very quickly. However, I am still not sure what to do. Because we are not familiar with how Dunlop latex feels, I’m concerned about the 8 inch not being soft enough and about the 10 inch being too soft. The 8 inch Maoli is made up of a 6 inch base (35 ILD) with a 2 inch (20 ILD) on top. The 10 inch Maoli mattress has these plus an additional 2 inch (20 ILD) added to the top.
We don’t want to spend another 12 years tossing and turning in bed. Can anyone help us to know what will be best for us? Thanks!

Hi again.
I forgot to mention that we have some concern with buying from MFC (even though they are thought highly of by The Mattress Underground) in that we are not able to ‘test’ their mattresses because they are nowhere near us. Does anyone know if there is a store in the Calgary are sells something similar to the Maoli? Also, MFC does not offer a sleep trial period and they do not allow a mattress to be returned if it doesn’t work for us. It would be nice if we could have some assurance that the product we are thinking of purchasing would suit our needs. :slight_smile:

Hi light sleeper! Have you gone to Sleep Boutique or The mattress and sleep company (tmasc)? If you are just deciding on if latex is the right feel for you, then you can start there as they should have some floor models. The Obasan mattreses are dunlop latex.

Hi Beee,

Thanks for replying and the info. I will check them out. It would probably give me a better understanding about how latex feels if I could lay on a few dunlop latex mattresses.

Hi Light sleeper, we are in the same boat and am currently looking into latex mattresses too so we will also be stopping by those stores in the near future to try out more mattresses.

So far we’ve seen a talalay latex mattress, the Swiss dream bed (by CBHwoodfurniture - one of the trusted members here) from one of their customers in Calgary. I had contacted Hendrik through their website to set up a meeting. I like it but my husband isn’t quite sold on latex yet so we will look at a few others before we make a decision. Good luck on your search!

Hi Light Sleeper,

Welcome to the forum :). Thank you @Beee for your very helpful suggestions. Hopefully, I can provide some additional help. I am glad you have received good replies from MFC and noted on your concerns with their return process.

The only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress will be a suitable choice that provides you with both the right comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when sleeping. Different people can have very different needs and preferences in a mattress in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences).

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress.

This is a very logical question, but from my experience with latex mattresses, the added 2" of 20ILD Dunlop is a reasonable adjustment to soften the mattress from the 8" version. This added 2" does not cause a dramatic shift in firmness. It is appropriate for MFC to do this, as well as good mattress merchandising practice.

I would explain the difference like this…Imagine you are on an 8" bed, lying on your sides…and trying to feel pressure on your shoulders and hips…and you are thinking “this might be right”…then you try the 10" and its just a bit softer and you are like “yes this is perfect”…It’s not dramatic or completely different, it a proper move to the next level of softness.

Of course, every consumer is different, and for some individuals, maybe it really is a dramatic difference. But after reading about your low BMI data, as well as sleeping on firm polyfoam mattresses, I do not think the 10’ version will end up being “too soft” and the 8" “too firm”. I am not commenting on what is the right decision for you, only you guys can decide that.

Please let us know if you have any more questions, and good luck with the process, you are clearly in such a better place with knowledge and research compared to 12 years ago :).

Thanks
Sensei

Sorry to change the subject here, but there is no way to start a new thread.

I now have the perfect beds in the house for myself, Arizona Premium’s Combizone-coil with latex on top ( an awesome feeling bed) and a DIY I made with HR foam base, with latex and memory foam in comfort layers for the office. I also got the latex from Arizona premium and cannot recommend them enough. They worked with me, and were patient until I found what worked for me. So the beds are set and hopefully I will get many good years out of them.

The issue for now has been finding a pillow which does not bunch up and lose support over the course of the night. So far I have ruled out poly fill, shredded memory foam, shredded latex. I tried talalay form pillows(not the shredded), they are making them extremely soft now ( heard that wasn’t always the case in the past), they didn’t have the support I wanted. I think they must be close to 10 ild.

My best bet is trying to find a retailer here that would be willing to send me a piece of scrap 100% natural talalay in 3 inch, 20-24 ild that I could use for a DIY pillow. The size of 16 by 24 is adequate. I would be willing to pay whatever you need for shipping and charge. My only other option is buying a 3 inch topper in the desired ILD, but paying 200 for a twin size will make way more pillows than I need.

James

Hi Sensei,

Thanks for you input, it was very helpful!

Hey gardenguy,

Welcome back and thanks for the post!

Tremendous shout-out to Ken and Arizona Premium, I am so glad you have found the “perfect” mattresses. So nice to hear.

Just a quick comment about the Talalay latex pillows. Talalay Global has been making plush/medium/firm forever…at least the past 18 years. And also they really have always used the exact same weight “ranges” since they rebuilt their factory in 2001. What has changed is many retailers are choosing the sell plush and firm to have two distinct firmnesses in one’s product portfolio. So in the marketplace more of the “softer” versions are showing up. Of course, some people still end up buying a medium pillow and if it’s at the low end of the weight range…it will feel softer than the one they “bought many years ago”.

Latex pillows are never regularly tested for ILD, only weight. That said, many years ago, I was able to see some ILd data on pillows that the Talalay global lab put together, and it is really interesting. The “firm” pillow, a pretty firm heavy pillow would be close to 9ild, the medium may be around 5-6 and soft less than that. I know, hard to believe.

Do you know what density Talalay pillow you tried? Where did you buy it? Have you asked Ken about the “scrap” DIY pillow? I may be able to find someone else, have to check a few things, but let me know on the pillows, you may want to try a bit firmer version.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Sensei,

We went and tested out some Dunlop latex and Talalay latex beds yesterday. It was quite helpful.

I have a couple questions…

1. Regarding the manufacturer of the organic latex mattresses sold by MFC. the manufacturer name is Nature’s Embrace. They make the Maoli and Unison latex mattresses. Nature’s Embrace has their own website where people can purchase mattresses directly from them online, but the Maoli and Unison mattresses are not listed for sale on Nature’s Embrace website. I noticed that Nature’s Embrace is not listed on The Mattress Underground as one of your trusted members. Do you know if Nature’s Embrace has a good reputation?

2. The mattress cover for the Maoli mattress is made of 40% Tencel and 60% polyester. I contacted MFC and asked them if the polyester content could cause a problem with the breath-ability of the mattress. They responded that they have not had any issues with it. Have you ever heard of any negative issues with a Tencel cover?

Thanks!

Thanks very much for the response Sensei !

That is interesting that pillows are not measured in ILD. But the fact that a firm was once measured at 9 ild tells me something. If I made a pillow with scrap 20 ILD it will be quite a firm pillow, this may work out great though because I can make the pillow thinner (3 inch 100% natural talalay) since my head will stay up easier than a typical pillow. Most pillows I have tried in general do not seem supportive enough, including some trials like the leesa foam pillow and a few shredded memory foam.

It does sound like Ken is going to send me a scrap piece for a DIY. But to answer your question, the only two form latex pillows I tried so far were both from Brooklyn Bedding, their soft and firm version talalay pillows. I sent the soft back because it felt like my head was bottoming out, but when I switched it for the firm it was not that much firmer honestly. I tried a dunlop once and it would have been the perfect firmness but the smell of dunlop is something I could never tolerate. So possibly finding something which matches the firmness of that dunlop but in talalay, probably me going up to 20 ILD is going to be closer than any talalay pillow on the market I am thinking. Sensei, do you happen to know if 100% natural talalay pillows are firmer than Brooklyn Bedding’s blended ones?

P.S.-
If Ken cannot send anything out I may still take you up on your offer to help me find another supplier of a pillow size scrap piece of 100% natural talalay, Sensei. Thank you for reaching out. I will see if I hear back from him by the end of the week.

Hey gardenguy,

You are on the right track with the 3" piece. totally get where you are going with that…to try, of course, it all depends. It’s interesting that you tried the plush and firm…but for many many years, the medium represented 90% of the sales…I understand why companies have plush and firm…and I am surprised the “firm” was not much firmer…could be a number of things.

The 100% natural Talalay pillows are not firmer…actually they are softer when comparing apples to apples…for instance, is two standard pillows one blend, one 100% both weighed 2.0lbs, the 100% natural will feel softer. With the formulation and Talalay process, its a fact that they use “more latex weight” to hit the same ILD.

Interestingly about ILD is that the two Talalay companies are the only latex companies that test every core for ILD, Dunlop companies sell all latex as weight/density…of course they give you the “ranges” but its not actually tested on each piece…just a little nugget, not really relevant to your pillow.

Thanks
Sensei

Hi Light Sleeper,

[quote]I have a couple questions…

1. Regarding the manufacturer of the organic latex mattresses sold by MFC. the manufacturer name is Nature’s Embrace. They make the Maoli and Unison latex mattresses. Nature’s Embrace has their own website where people can purchase mattresses directly from them online, but the Maoli and Unison mattresses are not listed for sale on Nature’s Embrace website. I noticed that Nature’s Embrace is not listed on The Mattress Underground as one of your trusted members. Do you know if Nature’s Embrace has a good reputation?[/quote]

Nature’s Embrace only sells GOLS certified organic dunlop latex, which is highly rated in the mattress industry and is used by reputable manufacturers in Canada such as Obasan, Greensleep, and Dormio amongst others.

The Maoli and Unison are not sold online by Nature’s Embrace for two reasons.
1- They are made especially for MFC according to our specifications.
2- Since we are an online store and this allows us to sell for less, we do not want to compete with their brick and mortar stores on price.

WHAT IS TENCEL
Tencel fibre is the brand name for lyocell fibres manufactured by the house of Lenzing.

Tencel is a type of rayon cellulose fibre extracted from the wood pulp of sustainably grown Eucalyptus trees. Unlike other forms of Rayon, Tencel is manufactured in a closed loop cycle that recycles nearly 100% of all the organic compounds used during the manufacturing process. The patented system has earned them numerous accolades including the EU’s European Award for the Environment.

Tencel is an ideal fiber for latex mattresses due to it’s sustainability, strength and moisture absorbing properties.

CERTIFICATIONS
Third party Tencel certifications include:

Oeko-Tex Standard 100(Confidence in textiles – tested for harmful substances)
USDA BioPreferred (certified 100% bio-based)
FSC (Forest Stewardship Council)
European Eco-Label (environmentally friendly)
Din Certo (compostable)
Vincotte (compostable)
US BPI (compostable)
EcoCert (product life cycle)

BENEFITS OF TENCEL
Ecological Friendly
Accounting for the entire life cycle, Tencel is one of the most environmentally friendly fibres in the world. Derived from the wood pulp of sustainably grown Eucalyptus trees, the closed loop manufacturing process recycles nearly 100% of organic solvents used in the manufacturing process.

High Tensile Strength
Whether dry or damp, Tencel fibres retain their strength. These durable fibres can withstand decades of use making them an idea compliment to latex.

Moisture Absorbent
Tencel fibres absorb moisture into their unique cell structure until it can be evaporated away.

Soft to the Touch
The surface of Tencel is smoother than silk. Tencel is commonly used in face masks for the cosmetic industry due to its silky-smooth surface and absorbent properties.

Hygienic
The condition that allow bacteria to grow are greatly reduced due to the moisture absorbing properties of Tencel.

If you prefer a mattress cover that does not contain polyester, then we suggest you look at our Unison Organic Latex Mattress or Presto customizable organic mattress which are made with GOLS certified organic dunlop latex, and covered with a quilted virgin wool 100% organic cotton cover.

Since we are an online store, we do not have any points of sale. This allows us to offer you great customer service and save you money.

If you need to try an organic dunlop latex to see how it feels, you can simply go to a mattress store that sells GOLS certified organic dunlop latex and try one in store. At that point you’ll be able to do some comparative shopping online, since these mattresses are made with the same components (organic dunlop latex, organic cotton and wool) and all feel similar.

Furthermore our Presto Customizable Mattress offers 9-16 firmness options all in the same mattress.
Advantages of the Presto Customizable Mattress
-Makes mattress shopping a breeze! With up to 16 support and comfort options, in one mattress. (from soft to extra firm)
-Handy tailored top-zip cover, allows easy access to the loose foam layers inside your mattress, and holds them firmly in place.
-Simply rearrange the foam layers inside your mattress to personalize your comfort and support needs.
-If your comfort or support needs change in the future (due to illness, accident, or personal reasons), you can simply rearrange the foam layers in your mattress, or we can provide you with cost-effective layers to make the mattress feel, just the way you like!
-Should a layer prematurely wear out, or be ruined by a mishap, it can simply be replaced avoiding the hassle and cost of replacing the entire mattress. Resulting in less waste for our environment and more money in your pocket!
-Optimal mattress maintenance: By flipping the inner support layers annually, you renew and revitalize the entire mattress, whereas rotating a traditional mattress only helps maintain the top layers.
-No more time wasted trying and exchanging mattresses.
-Perfect for all sleepers; side, back and stomach.
-Made and shipped from Canada

Why we no longer accept returns:
MFC is dedicated to manufacturing quality memory foam and latex products through our use of quality materials and detailed craftsmanship. At MFC we do not sell used products (which includes all items on our website). For this reason, for hygienic concerns, and to avoid cross contamination, we feel that we have a moral and ethical responsibility to our customers to not re-sell used items and therefor are unable to accept returns or exchanges.

We accept exchanges only if the item is damaged at delivery and will cover all cost in the exchange process.

With such a policy in place we are able to guarantee the item you receive is brand new and has never been used by anyone else.

Furthermore we stand behind our products and your purchase is protected within our comprehensive limited warranties so that you can buy directly from us with confidence.

Are you sure you’re buying a “new” mattress?
Did you know that mattresses and toppers are some of the only personal items that can be returned to the store after they have been used? Store do not accept returns on underwear, bras and other personal use items. But you can sleep nude in a bed for months, contaminate it with skin cells, hair, urine etc and return it if you’re not happy with it!

What’s worst is that it can be resold to you as new, because the Government of Canada has no legal obligation with respect to the sale of used mattresses and toppers. Yes, all mattresses by law must have a label that states “Contains New Material Only” this label was sown during the manufacturing process and has nothing to do with the condition of the mattress as being used or new!

What do stores do with returned mattresses?
If stores are not reselling your used mattress to someone else, then why do they require you to purchase a mattress protector to qualify for the trial period? Why do you need to use a mattress protector if the returned mattress will be disposed of?

Bed bugs can infiltrate a used mattress even with the use of a mattress protector. Furthermore they are extremely difficult to eradicate, and can spread into others mattresses and sofas around the house. These pest have become such a major health risk, that most charitable organizations will not accept used mattresses anymore.

Why choose a customizable mattress
In the last few years, we’ve seen more customers contact us to complain about mattresses they purchased only 2 or 3 years ago. They deplore the mediocre quality and sleep issues they have with their mattresses. The surprising fact, is that most bought them from a store that had a trial period, yet they remain unhappy with the choice they made. Actually most customers will be happy with any new mattress, as it’s a significant improvement over a tired old mattress. However the real comfort issues appear long after the 90 day trial period.

For this reason we have developed the Presto which is a customizable mattress. The advantage is that you can fine tune your comfort and support preferences anytime you want. Discover this new ingenious mattress and stop playing the mattress trial and exchange game.

At MFC we are proud to sell only "new products"direct from the factory to you.

I hope this answers your questions, and offers you others options in your quest to find the mattress that’s right for you.

All the best

Mario

Thank you for this information. It was very helpful.

Hello, my partner has scoliosis. Is there a mattress type that is best for that?

Thanks

Nat