How to setup and care for memory foam mattress

A couple days ago I grabbed a new king size memory mattress which costs me about 400 dollars. Need to mention that I bought this langria mattress online and I guess the manufacturer would send it to me in a compression way. I have never bought a mattress from a online store before, just wondered if there’s anything particular I need to pay attention to. Thanks for their blog, I found a short guide to unpack and maintain the mattress.
[confidential]http://www.langria.com/blog/how-to-setup-and-maintain-your-memory-foam-mattress[/confidential]
Thought it might be useful for members here just like me who know little about online mattress ( I’m gonna take a wild guess that I’m not the last one) so just tap the share button.

Or is there any experts willing to share their experience of maintaining a mattress? Welcome and I will be all ears.

Hi MICKSUGAR,

It’s unfortunate that you didn’t find us and have a chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial here before purchasing your mattress so you could have leaned more about making a better quality/value choice.

I’ve also hidden your link since the forum doesn’t allow any direct or indirect advertising (see the forum rules here) and I would also appreciate it if you could also disclose whether you have any direct or indirect relationship to the site you linked as well since it’s somewhat unusual that a member’s first post includes a link to a somewhat questionable site such as the one you linked and is also asking for the members here to pass it on. This is normally only done by a site that is looking to improve their SEO or google rankings (and there was nothing special or unique about any of the information you linked).

A manufacturer or retailer that sells compressed mattresses will generally provide instructions for unpacking and setting up the mattress.

Outside of the setup instructions you will need a suitable support system under your mattress (a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) and a mattress protector.

It’s usually a good idea to unpack and decompress the mattress on top of the bedframe you will be using since it’s easier to move when it’s compressed than when it’s decompressed.

Any foam mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (bedframe and foundation or platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

There is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here and some of the information and comments in this topic (which would apply to any foam mattress) may be helpful as well.

A mattress protector is important to protect your mattress from stains and the body fluids, skin cells, and oils that we release each night, to protect against spills and accidents, and to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. It will also protect your warranty because most mattress warranties are usually voided with any type of stain on a mattress. They can be easily removed for washing and are usually designed to have the least possible effect on the feel and performance of the mattress itself. There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here as well.

Rotating your mattress from time to time can also help to even out any foam softening and wear and can help extend the useful life of the mattress to some degree as well (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Hi, Phoenix. Sorry for my naive behavior and thanks for your useful guideline. I guess I need to do more research about mattress before posting. Thanks anyway. :slight_smile: