How to use mattress pads and toppers

Hi The Toddler,

[quote]Thanks – perhaps rather than getting hung up on terminology, I can ask if the following is an ideal setup, in order of layering:

1. Mattress, encased in Protect-a-Bed’s Allerzip smooth encasement
  2. Mattress topper (currently basic foam but I’m looking to upgrade to memory foam or latex in the near future)
  3. Protect-a-Bed’s luxury mattress protector (which claims to be breathable, wick moisture, and is on sale from a known retailer for a good price right now)
  4. Fitted sheet
  5. Me[/quote]

I would tend to avoid using two products that are “semi breathable” in the same sleeping system because it may trap more moisture in the mattress and I would tend to use an encasement around the entire sleeping system and then use the sheets on top of this rather than both a semi breathable encasement and a semi breathable protector.

If you have allergies and want to protect your sleeping system from bed bugs and dust mites I would tend to use a more breathable encasement without a membrane that protects against both (something like this) and use it around the entire sleeping system and then use a mattress protector on top of this or I would use a membrane type of encasement that also protects against both (and functions as a mattress protector as well) around the entire sleeping system (so there is only one "semi breathable product in the mix) and then your sheets on top of this.

If you end up with a latex topper I would use a good stretch knit cover around it to help protect it from any damage with handling and from breaking down or oxidizing prematurely over the long term (see post #24 here).

Phoenix