Hybrid Config - 8” coils, 3” Firm and 3” Medium Latex?

Ah! Lol. Since most mattresses place their base layer under the coils inside the mattress, that is where I woul place it.

1 Like

@Maverick so for 1” coir, 8” coils and 3” latex, I will need 12” mattress cover?

Do I need to worry about the coir scratching the coils inside the cover?

That can happen since coir can be a bit coarse, but you can always use something like this to encase it
Encasement for 1 or 2 inch topper

Makes sense. I think foam is the way to go to avoid damage. Do you have a recommended vendor for foam?

I do have the coir on order but I can easily repurpose that for my kids twins beds (underneath their mattress).

I would try Trusted Member DIY.
https://diymattress.com/

Looks like they only sell foam in 6” height.

Perhaps an inquiry is in order. I am sure if they create a mattress with a base foam, they get that base from somewhere.

1 Like

@Maverick Will HD polyfoam reduce the breathability of the mattress?

Not in any significant way, the coir will increase it, but hd foam as a base will not be a problem

1 Like

@Maverick I found this vendor from an older post on this forum ("Foam factory" - any good? - #4 by phoenix)

Do I want HD or LUX foam? What firmness?

1 Like

HD at least 1.8lb nothing less than 1.5lb

They offer 1.8lb in various ILDs. That’s where I’m confused.

1.8lbs at least 36ild

1 Like

@Maverick Thanks. Looks they offer 36 (med-firm) and 44 (firm). Which do you recommend? Appreciate the help!

As much as I’d like to put the coir in the mattress cover, I can’t find a single reference to anyone doing it.

I went with the 44 ILD foam layer.

My original plan, as you know, was
8” Bolsa
3” Firm Dunlop
3” Medium Talalay

I’m still somewhat concerned this is overkill although we could feel the difference at the Naturepedic show room between their 12” EOS and 15” EOS pillow top. The height of the mattress is also becoming an issue with finding a bed frame that keeps the bed at a reasonable height.

I see people successful with less latex layers and I’m wondering if I’m overdoing it.

We are 150/165 lbs side sleepers but from time to time end up on our stomachs.

So my plan is to buy 12” cover as I don’t see our core changing and test out
1” Foam
8” Coils
3” Medium Talalay

If that doesn’t work, we will try
1” Foam
8” Coils
3” Firm Dunlop
3” Medium Talalay

And swap layers from there.

I’m at the tail end of my stuff and SO close to dialing it in. I should thank Maverick for sending me over here too since we’re doing similar pondering/research, Brady.

So first I want to validate that your plan is NOT overkill. :slight_smile: If I didn’t have 3" mini quad coils on top of our 8" of support coils those 3" would’ve been 3" of dunlop medium along w/ our 3" of dunlop soft. Transition layers are part of a normal bed making process and I think there’s some very geeky (AND FUN AND WONDERFUL… bcs I’m a geek) posts about doing just two layers - 1 support and then a big shift into one layer of comfort OR going a more progressive route, which is what you and I are attempting. I think that’s the term they use. I’m not sure if those have been shared yet but I’m going to not be lazy and find it… here ya go- Putting the layers together - Overview - The Mattress Underground.

I’m glad to see your guys’ convo about HD vs Coir because I’m debating a base layer under my coils also and didn’t want airflow impacted. Matan from TPS said I don’t have to have a base layer w/ the distance between slats that I have but I know it can be helpful to ensure the longevity of the coils. Coir is so much more expensive and for me doesn’t sound like the extra cost will provide much more so I’ll be picking Lux-HQ from foambymail.com (they are quite a bit cheaper). That site does specifically recommend the Lux-HQ for mattresses.

As for what Ken said about the feel between the latex topper over vs under the encasement - having the topper directly on top allows you to be closer to the latex and if you like the feel of laying directly on latex, it’s a good thing to try. The encasements can change the feel and depending on how thick the quilting is, it can put quite a bit of distance between you and the latex comfort layers and it can also tend to firm things up a bit. All, of course, depending on what sort of encasement is used. I have LOVED laying on the latex directly under our sheets while I’ve been playing w/ layer combos so I don’t want to mess that up so I’m opting to encase our 2 sets of coils and whatever base I decide to go with. I’ll be getting a knit cover for the topper though so it can be more protected while also not affecting the feel.

Brady - this is what I’m thinking will be my final build - only thing I’m not sure on is if I’ll actually get the base layer but I’ll add it in just in case. So from top to bottom:

1" Lux-HQ foam - foambymail
8" Support Coils (15.5g w/ 13.5g support edges) - TPS
3" Mini Coils (similar feel to medium dunlop but w/ more airflow) - TPS
12" Cotton/Wool encasement - APM
3" Soft Dunlop - SOL
Knit topper cover - APM

There is a part of me that wants to add that 1" of Lux-HQ to the bottom, not just to protect the springs, but also to have an extra inch to play with, if I need to, in the future.

1 Like

Definitely agree regarding the transition layers. I’m not sure, based on our weights, if the cos will actually be doing anything 6” down.

Is foambymail reputable? I recall seeing threads on TMU that they might not be. Their prices are killer though.

I would have done coir but I’m worried the coir will rip the fabric around the coils if I put it inside the mattress cover.

1 Like

@Maverick keeping with 3 layers, do you think we would feel a difference if we reduced the transition layer to 2” Dunlop?

1” Foam (optional)
8” Bolsa Coils
2” Firm Dunlop
3” Medium Talalay

I’m trying to keep the build at a max total height of 14” including cover as it is difficult to find a reputable bed frame less than 12” high. I don’t want the mattress height to be too high we like it in the 23-25” range but would be okay with 26”.

1 Like

I see no issue with that, as you have your bolsa as your support layer and the dunlop as your sub-comfort layer, keeping the mattress in that firmer feel with a more cushioned top comfort layer. Remember 3" of talalay, even medium will cause a change in feel you will notice, where 2" of Talalay will provide contouring and pressure relief, but not have that “plushlike” feel that 3" would provide.

That is where your PPP’s come into play.

Ya know… some people love them and some people hate them but that seems to be the case with any company. What I’ve seen is people having certain expectations of their HD36 and I haven’t seen anything bad about their Lux, which is what I’m getting. Honestly, I don’t even really need it since there’s only 2 1/4” space between my slats but something in me wants it. Worst case, I’m out $35 and I just take it out and our mattress encasement is a wee big.

Truthfully, I spent considerable time on Reddit before I learned of this forum so I had already made some decisions prior. Like SOL isn’t a member of TMU and there are many reviews of them on Amazon of people hating the quality or the sizing was off but others on Reddit who have LOVED them. So far, I’m in the latter. Their CS has been phenomenal and at first I thought one of my latex layers was almost 2” off but for some reason that one took longer to decompress than the others. They would’ve sent out a new one tho and upon sending a replacement for size they measure prior to sending, at least that’s what the rep said. But if the 4 layers I’ve ordered from them, I’ve opened 3 to try and all have been the correct size. Thankfully didn’t need to open the 4th.

If you wanted to do coir you could put a layer of whatever fabric they lay on top of the wood in foundations. I’m unsure of the name off hand but I can look it up.

1 Like