Hybrid Config - 8” coils, 3” Firm and 3” Medium Latex?

@Maverick do you recommend the HD polyfoam or Coir goes inside the mattress cover?

@jessuckapow glad to hear it! Did Ken say anything about the difference in feel between having the topper in/out of the mattress cover?

Coir breathes and is natural HD is not. Where are you placing it? As a base or in the build. As a base, Coir provides a natural, firm support with breathability. HD foam, being a high-density material, offers durability and support. Coir can be a more mold and mildew resistant material if that should ever become a concern.

@Maverick im placing it underneath the coils either inside the mattress cover or underneath the mattress (directly on top of the foundation). Should I place the coir/foam layer inside the mattress cover or underneath the mattress?

Basically trying to determine if I should get a 11” cover or 12” cover.

Based on everything you have done so far, keep it natural!

1 Like

@Maverick I’m probably not being clear :slight_smile :slight_smile: Should the support (coir or foam) go inside of the mattress cover?

Ah! Lol. Since most mattresses place their base layer under the coils inside the mattress, that is where I woul place it.

1 Like

@Maverick so for 1” coir, 8” coils and 3” latex, I will need 12” mattress cover?

Do I need to worry about the coir scratching the coils inside the cover?

That can happen since coir can be a bit coarse, but you can always use something like this to encase it
Encasement for 1 or 2 inch topper

Makes sense. I think foam is the way to go to avoid damage. Do you have a recommended vendor for foam?

I do have the coir on order but I can easily repurpose that for my kids twins beds (underneath their mattress).

I would try Trusted Member DIY.
https://diymattress.com/

Looks like they only sell foam in 6” height.

Perhaps an inquiry is in order. I am sure if they create a mattress with a base foam, they get that base from somewhere.

1 Like

@Maverick Will HD polyfoam reduce the breathability of the mattress?

Not in any significant way, the coir will increase it, but hd foam as a base will not be a problem

1 Like

@Maverick I found this vendor from an older post on this forum ("Foam factory" - any good? - #4 by phoenix)

Do I want HD or LUX foam? What firmness?

1 Like

HD at least 1.8lb nothing less than 1.5lb

They offer 1.8lb in various ILDs. That’s where I’m confused.

1.8lbs at least 36ild

1 Like

@Maverick Thanks. Looks they offer 36 (med-firm) and 44 (firm). Which do you recommend? Appreciate the help!

As much as I’d like to put the coir in the mattress cover, I can’t find a single reference to anyone doing it.

I went with the 44 ILD foam layer.

My original plan, as you know, was
8” Bolsa
3” Firm Dunlop
3” Medium Talalay

I’m still somewhat concerned this is overkill although we could feel the difference at the Naturepedic show room between their 12” EOS and 15” EOS pillow top. The height of the mattress is also becoming an issue with finding a bed frame that keeps the bed at a reasonable height.

I see people successful with less latex layers and I’m wondering if I’m overdoing it.

We are 150/165 lbs side sleepers but from time to time end up on our stomachs.

So my plan is to buy 12” cover as I don’t see our core changing and test out
1” Foam
8” Coils
3” Medium Talalay

If that doesn’t work, we will try
1” Foam
8” Coils
3” Firm Dunlop
3” Medium Talalay

And swap layers from there.