Hybrid Config - 8” coils, 3” Firm and 3” Medium Latex?

@Maverick thank you. It is possible our slat gap will be around 3” unless I add/change the slats to whatever frame we buy. Its not easy find a frame that meets all requirements especially when our mattress will be thick.

If our slat gap is larger than 2.5” for a coil hybrid bed, would you recommend HD polyfoam over coir? Or doesn’t matter?

Shoudn’t matter. Brooklyn Bedding recommends for their mattresses slats less than 4". Maybe it would work, but I wouldnt take that chance. Some slatted foundations have a cover on them, sure, that will be more supportive, but in your case, less than 3" either will work fine, and coir will breath better.

1 Like

@Maverick Would there be a big difference between 1/2” and 1” coir pad?

Generally speaking, a 1" coir base will create a slightly firmer feel overall. If you want to only have support for the springs without changing the feel too much, go with a 1/2". If you prefer a mattress this could use a little more firmness, then the 1" is your pick.

The thicker coir base will as additional durability and longevity to the mattress and may provide increased support over a longer period of time.

You may also experience better weight distribution of you body and increased spinal alignment as a result.

So, there are some positives to take away from the coir base layer. Of course, these positives only matter if you need them or feel you would benefit from them.

You know best regarding your preferences, from past experience and what you image a change in direction will lead you. This can be your guide to predict how it will play out.

Maverick

1 Like

@Maverick awesome info. I don’t want to add too much more thickness to the mattress (it’s already 15”), so I think I’ll be okay with 1/2” given the firmness of the mattress already.

1 Like

Yes, a 1/2 will keep the coils supported. If you need more, you can always add a 1/2" later. You should be just fine.

1 Like

@Maverick Last question, I hope!

I currently have this foundation (split king) from QSS on a metal frame (also from QSS).

QSS says this is suitable for latex mattresses but I’m not so sure. Any issues using this foundation temporarily while we search for a new platform bed? The slats are more than 3” apart but it is steel reinforced

That is a semiflex box spring not a slatted, but if you are using the coir layer on top of the box spring between the mattress, you will be ok.

1 Like

@Maverick would you suggest the 1” in this case? Or is the .5” okay? Again this is temporary until we get a new slatted platform bed (or new foundation)

You would want to choose 1" over 1/2" only to maintain firmness and enhanced stability. I would say it this way, if the difference between 1" vs 1/2" is not much, just do the 1" if it is cost prohibited, then do the 1/2. Most of the time 1" is used.

1 Like

@Maverick Thank you. I’ll go with the 1”. I do have a concern about coconut coir being scratchy (ex. Changing sheets), this has me leaning back towards polyfoam. Is this an actual issue?

As you know I’m still figuring out what size cover to use. Any issue with having the coils directly ontop of coconut coir? Should I put a sheet layer between the coir and coils for protection?

1 Like

I got I inch coconut coir from shepherd’s dream. It had a tennis ball smell but can’t smell it under mattress. It’s a little wider than mattress. It does add resistance so might be harder to slide a mattress around but it also keeps sheets in. It might look like a Brillo pad but it’s not scratchy at all.

1 Like

Thanks!

@Maverick how much would you estimate my bed weighs? 8” bolsa, 3” firm Dunlop, 3” medium talalay (could be soft in the future)

1 Like

If I had to guess, if the spring layers weighs on average 50lbs for a king sized mattress give to take 15-20 pounds, based on thickness of the springs.
Then you look at Dunlop latex which is about 10.5 cubic feet in a king size, and if the dunlop is 4.5lbs per cubic foot density, then the layer of Dunlop is about 48lbs.
If you look at the same for Talalay which will be slightly less, call it 42lbs.
You are then looking at about 150lbs plus a few pounds for the cover, so, I would call it a about 160lbs.

Hopefully, I dont get eaten up with those calculations by @Sleep_EZ or @Arizona_Premium as they could probably answer that question without having to think about formulas and algebra as I did. LOL

Good luck with it.

Maverick

1 Like

@Maverick You are beyond helpful! What do you think the differences are between the topper covers from LMF, Arizona, sleep like a bear and SOL? This would be for our top 3” comfort layer

I must admit, I appreciate the way the Sleep Like a Bear mattress cover is described. I’m uncertain about its cost justification compared to the LMF cover, but one positive aspect is the brand’s exceptional transparency showcased prominently on the front page. Whether the description can be validated and verified, this openness instills confidence and suggests a commitment to producing a high-quality product.
Convincingly, they seem to go the extra mile by prominently displaying specifications. Regardless of verification, the presentation gives the impression that they have nothing to conceal and consider it crucial to lay out all details in the open.

The big consideration lies in determining if the added cost of (the sleep like a bear) this protection for a product intended for long-term use is justified. I am not sure I have the answer to this one, other than to say, rely on your instincts to discern which option offers optimal protection, durability, and maintains the original feel of your topper.

Good Luck,
Maverick

1 Like

@Maverick i had the same feeling. But not sure it’s enough to justify cost! Out of all the covers, do you think there is a difference in feel? Example between the cotton/bamboo vs stretch cotton vs SLB option?

I am sort of old fashioned. I can not bring myself to ride the train all of the offshoot materials. Bamboo, tencel, lyocel, eucalyptus, microfiber, and all these pulp derived products. They may be fantastic, perhaps offer some valuable benefits, but I am a cotton, wool and all natural fiber kind of person.

Not for any particular reason, as I am not a nature fanatic or against petroleum products, or anything like that. I just like the way cotton towels, sheets, and pillowcases, tee shirts, dress shirts etc feel against the skin, better than the “performance” fabrics.

I just got a 3" 100% wool topper with an organic cotton cover and it is fantastic.

What does your gut instincts tell you?

Maverick

1 Like

@Maverick good points. I know I’m purchasing the mattresss cover from Arizona (I own their cotton cover for another bed and the quality and price is great). I just realized I own the SOL topper cover for our guest bed. Great quality but loose fit.

Anyways, I am communicating with Ken and SleepEZ regarding their covers and will purchase the one that fits my requirements best. Which are tight fit and thin (to get closest to the latex).

Truthfully, I’m still debating one cover vs separate covers for core/topper. I’m leaning towards the latter for all the points you made. Trying to not overthink it as I can also change it in the future but it would be an added cost.

1 Like

I just talked to Ken for almost an hour and after that phone call I went from wanting everything in one encasement to very seriously considering the encasement for just our coils and a stretch knit for the topper(s). I’m nearing the end of our build and as I’m playing w layers I just put a flannel sheet over all the layers before putting on our reg sheets and absolutely love the feel of sleeping directly on latex.

I didn’t even consider this at first so I’m glad he told me his own configuration. Also good knowing you love the products he sells.

2 Likes