Hybrid Innerspring w Latex -Texas

We live in Dallas-Fort Worth area and have struggled to find a local place to try out and purchase a suitable mattress. My wife (140+ lbs, side sleeper/sometimes back) and I (225lb :side sleeper/sometimes back) have and initially liked a Posturepedic (queen about 750 springs, 14 gauge), pillow top (Euro plush) mattress but the springs and the pillow top have both given way too much on my side: after about 5+ years (not surprising given the comments I have read on this site) even with rotating periodically…

We have tried and liked “hybrid beds” with superior innersprings and medium foam/gel tops but are concerned about the price and durability (relative to latex instead of memory foam/gel infused foam). of the major/common store brands. We tend to prefer a more medium soft topper with medium support initially, I worry that my weight will wear out a softer topper or support.

Given our research, We are looking for something with a superior innerspring with at least a 3" latex top. We have looked at online a Regal Tranquility Mattress at https://www.habitatfurnishings.com/ ($1649 with desired innerspring, 3" Natural Dunlap latex/2" Jomma wool layer/base foam 1"/gel layer 2") but it seems like overkill.

1. Is this overkill with all the layers; and
  2. does anyone have experience with this company or mattress?

We also have looked at Arizona Premium Mattress Co. Queen Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil Latex Mattress. That mattress has an innerspring (Leggett & Platt Quantum innerspring with more springs/support along the edges and in middle third) with a 3" Talalay topper that is assembled at home after being shipped in parts (zippered bamboo-wool padded-mattress cover).
3. Seems like the best price but is it durable enough?

Anyway, any feedback would be welcome.

Hi sdhakala,

As you mentioned … the major brands tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses which will soften and break down prematurely relative to the price you pay for them.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Dallas/Ft Worth area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

I would keep in mind that an innerspring isn’t normally the weakest link in a mattress and the useful life of a mattress will depend much more on the types of materials or components that are on top of the innerspring than the innerspring itself. A “superior” innerspring is always relative to the specific needs and preferences of a particular person and would be the one that is part of a mattress that is a good “match” for you “as a whole” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). There is also more about the pros and cons of different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here (which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it in “real life” and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability and PPP (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

In other words the only way to know whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you will be based on careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own actual sleeping experience on the mattress.

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would affect the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else … in terms of the quality and durability the Habitat Regal Tranquility uses good quality materials and for those that aren’t in a higher than average weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so where I would be cautious with 4 lb memory foam) there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress. A forum search on Habitat (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

Having said that … they only have limited options to “fit” their mattresses to different people, body types, and sleeping positions so they are also an “all or nothing” choice that don’t provide any options after a purchase other than returning the mattress. While they are a “better than average” choice compared to many mainstream mattresses … for most of the members here that are aware of the many other online choices that are available to them they may not be in the best “value” range compared to some of the other similar options that are available to them so I would make some careful “value” comparisons.

Some of the better sources for innerspring/latex mattresses (including pocket coils) that I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here but this is far from a complete list and many local manufacturers or retailers may also have similar types of mattresses on their floor that you can test in person before a purchase.

Latex is among the most durable of all the foam materials so it would certainly make a durable choice yes.

Once again I can’t speak to whether a mattress will be a good match for you in terms of PPP (which is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase but when you can’t test a mattress in person though … then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include Arizona Premium) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thanks. Again, extremely helpful. Thanks for the links. A few more local sites I found that I did not know about and will check on.

The Body Print by Flexus is something I looked and am interested in (especially with a two-sided mattress), but I am concerned about the foam encased edge support holding up over time (as compared with more coils at the edges of the innerspring). Also, looking at, as alternative, Sleep EZ options, especially with ability to design each side of the bed separately.

Hi sdhakala,

The 1.5 lb foam encasement would be suitable for a two sided mattress so it’s not an issue I would be concerned with.

You are certainly looking at some good options and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix