Hybrid Latex Advice Sought -- Green Sleep Niu vs. Other Options

Hi AnalogJ,

I don’t agree with this. If you have a chance to test a mattress/topper combination in person and the “sleeping system” is a better match for you than another “sleeping system” then that’s what I would choose regardless of whether all the layers were inside a cover or one of the layers was added as a topper. In some cases … having one layer outside the cover can make a meaningful difference for some people compared to having the same layers inside a cover (see posts #3 and #4 here and this topic). To me how well the “sleeping system” works for someone as a whole is much more important than whether it includes all the layers inside the mattress cover or not. I would avoid buying a mattress however with the intention of adding a topper that you haven’t tested in person although even here a topper can be a useful backup for those who end up choosing a mattress that is too firm and there are no other better solutions or options available.

Wool can certainly be used by itself without any other type of fire barrier to pass the fire regulations … see post #2 here.

This would really be a personal preference issue and would depend on how you feel about buying a mattress that other people have used to some degree (some people wouldn’t be comfortable with it and others would) and on how you feel about any lack of warranty (many warranties specifically exclude floor models). For example I know my DH would say “absolutely not” and would probably shudder at the thought of buying a mattress that other people have used or tested while for me it really wouldn’t be a significant issue by itself if the pros outweighed the cons. The limited use that a floor model would have had wouldn’t likely make much or even any difference at all in terms of durability with a high quality material like latex.

I certainly don’t agree with his rather extreme assessment although it’s correct that they use a filler in their latex (see here) to increase the firmness and/or reduce the cost but this certainly doesn’t make it a “crap” material by any means and in some cases a filler can improve some of the properties of latex. They have also had some sporadic quality control issues over the last few years that have been frustrating to manufacturers but they appear to have improved over the course of the last few months or year or so and more recently I am hearing much less about this from manufacturers. It’s also true that no latex core is 100% rubber because they all need various chemicals to be added to make the latex so the actual rubber content of a 100% natural Dunlop latex core would be less than 100% (see post #18 here).

Phoenix