Hybrid Mattress

Hi Phoenix, I’m considering a Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Focus Cushion Firm mattress. I’m trying to determine what the density of the foam is as it is not published anywhere and know that a minimum of 4 lbs is typically recommended. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I’m a little concerned about the quality. I had a 100% latex mattress I bought from Plushbeds that I returned. It slept too hot and I could never get comfortable even with a topper exchange. I’m small and weight about 120 and am a side sleeper primarily with some on my back. Thought hybrid might be a good compromise. Thanks, Kara

Hi karalu,

It’s unlikely you will be able to find out all the information you will need to make an informed choice with most of the major brands such as Sealy and it’s probably best to avoid them altogether (see the guidelines here).

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including any mattress where the information here isn’t easily available to you).

“Blind” purchases are much too risky and one of the biggest reasons for buyers remorse with a mattress purchase.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Sealy indicated no information would be given out, so I decided not to purchase. I am now looking at the Restonic Tempagel Inspire and Vitalize. I contacted the closest Restonic Manufacturer and they indicated they would not provide the density, layers, etc, but would provide to a local retailer so I’ve asked a local retailer to contact and obtain the density of the comfort & core foams. They seem very comfortable but a bit pricey. I did find another site, www.homeplaceparagould.com that listed both of the mattresses with 7 & 5 lb foams, although I guess regional Restonic mattress make-up could be different. I did notice on that site, the Inspire includes 2" of superfoam which I have read on your site should typically be avoided as a comfort layer but is seems to be located lower down in the mattress. I have also looked at Restava which is just down the street from my home, although they have no showroom. Not sure if Restonic or Restava would be a better choice. I’m also considering a local company, Bowles, which has an all foam mattress 2" of 4 lb memory gel foam, 2" of synthetic soft latex, 6 inches of 1.8 HD foam with a 2" base support foam. A little less expensive. I started out looking at organic mattress concerned about off gassing, but desperate times lead to desperate measures. Finding a mattress is worse than shopping for a car. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help! Kara
B) :

Hi karalu,

I think that’s a very wise choice. Avoiding mattresses where you aren’t able to find out the quality/durability of the materials inside them is one of the best ways to avoid buyers remorse.

This is fairly common because most wholesale manufacturers aren’t set up to provide this informtion directly to consumers but will often provide it to their retailers and a retailer should be the one that spends the time to find out the information anyway.

It would surprise me if this was accurate and it’s unlikely that they use 2.75" of 7 lb memory foam in one of their Tempagel mattresses but even if it is Restonic is a licensee group and the factories that make their mattresses in different regions can have different specs from each other and some of their factories are more “transparent” than others. It’s always a good idea to confirm the materials in a specific mattress you are considering.

You can see the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here. Which mattress is the “best choice” for any particular person depends on which one is the most suitable match for you in terms of PPP, the type and quality of the materials in each one, and on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If these are all the layers in the mattress then there would be no “weak links” in the mattress and it would certainly be worth considering if it was a good match for you in terms of PPP.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Truth be told, I probably wont make a decision. The more I know the more difficult. I really would prefer simple and organic. Unfortunately, there are no local companies in my area that offer this. If I had my preference my bed would include a layer of wool, maybe several inches of memory foam and latex core. Hard to find simple. Kara

Hi karalu,

You may already have found the forum list for your area but if you haven’t if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I live in Louisville, Ky. Yes, I did check your member listing. Thanks…

Hi karalu,

There aren’t any members in the Louisville area but the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #3 here.

Phoenix

Extremely helpful. Thank you!

Hi Phoenix, Just purchased the Gold Box-Top at www.bowlesmattress.com. Think I’ll be pleased, and with my small size of 120 lbs, should last me awhile. Thanks for all your help! Kara

Hi karalu,

Thanks for the attachment and for sharing the details of your purchase. It certainly uses good quality materials and doesn’t have any weak links in the design and I think you did well.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix