Hybrid Polyfoam + Latex Topper

(First post on MU, please let me know if this isn’t the right forum)

Some background:

• Me: 6’6", ~220lbs, side sleeper
  • My last mattress was a SleepNumber M7, which I was incredibly fond of.

I am in the market for a new mattress and have been exploring some of the options presented on this forum in/around the LA area (Nest, Flexus, etc). I enjoyed my M7 I found the foam to be a nice mix of soft and supportive, and I did not sink in too much. I also like the general lack of spring feeling compared to innerspring mattresses.

I have found that in general I do not like the pure foam/latex beds. Something is just off about them, I think it is how much I sink into them. I like the hybrid styles as they still have some give from the foam, while also somewhat isolating me from the feel of the springs.

After looking at a number of options, what I was pleased with the most was a Tempur-Pedic Flex EliteTempurpedic Flex Elite with a Talalay latex topper (specifically the Berkeley Ergonomic 1Berkeley Ergonomic 1"). It was soft, had the right amount of give, and my hips, back, and shoulders felt well supported. However the Tempurpedic is very expensive, and from what I’ve read here I think I can do better.

Do you know of any mattresses that come with this hybrid foam+latex top combo? If not I was thinking of doing a combination Nest Alexander Signature + topper, either the Berkeley or a Flexus. Unfortunately Berkeley Ergonomics does not list the ILD of their toppers, so it is hard to compare.

I guess my main question is does this combination seem reasonable and is there anything that I am missing/should check out? I have yet to check out SelectABed, which is nearby and also seems to have some promising leads.

Lastly, thank you all for providing the wealth of information available here. It is a veritable treasure trove of information for mattress shopping!

If you only want to purchase in your area I would definitely talk to Henry at Flexus. He should be able to offer something similar and you can try it before you buy it.