Hypothetical question about latex layering

I have a question I have been searching for in the search bar for days, because I can’t be the first person to inquire, and I know I have seen this addressed somewhere, maybe on a latex seller’s site? I would be interested to hear from any of the trusted members or Phoenix or anybody. Someday I may not be so lucky to have a hybrid latex bed that fits my spouse’s needs as well as my own, so I wonder about customization side by side. I fully understand progressive layering e.g. firm, med, soft, and differential layering is a little less clear, but still seems to be progressive in ild firmness, but I have seen configurations where soft is underneath firm and may go med, med, soft, firm. What is the science behind this? Am I not understanding a concept? I was told that you couldn’t successfully put a firm layer over a new pillowtop mattress to save it, early on. Any enlightenment on this is extremely welcome!

Hi GraciePlush5:

I’ll try to address a few of your concerns. Overall, I think a few of the TMU members specializing in hybrid configurable component-style latex mattresses would be the most knowledgeable to chime in with their suggestions and examples of combinations of various latex thicknesses and ILDs that tend to work well together.

Some people respond best to layers getting progressively softer as they get closer to your skin, while others prefer a bit more surface tension. Much of this is subjective, but also based upon mass and somatotype and sleeping style.

What you’re describing (4 latex layers) would tend to be representative of an all-latex mattress (4 - 3" layers, for example) and not usually a hybrid product using an innerspring. A MMSF combination would tend to be something for a bit of a lighter individual (the MM not as firm of a deeper support core) but who wants a bit more surface tension on top (perhaps a prone sleeper?). Again, there are certain combinations of ILDs with certain thicknesses that tend to work well together, and manufacturers that specialize in these types of items have great experience with arrangements that work well and can assist in taking some of the guess work out of this.

Generally speaking, toppers tend to add extra plushness to a mattress that is a bit too hard, but there really aren’t as many great alternatives to make a mattress that is really plush harder with the addition of a topper, even if it is a quite high ILD. This concept is different from creating your own mattress and manipulating deeper “upholstery” and upper “quilt” layers in a more finished design. And adding a topper to a traditional mattress using lower density foams that have already lost much of their resilience will not eliminate the actual or virtual body impressions.

There are some designs out there in a hybrid latex mattress which allow you to have different innerspring units on the left and the right sides, as well as different latex comfort layers. The profile of the innerspring unit generally determines the amount of latex that can be added atop the innerspring unit. There are some lower profile innerspring units in a latex hybrid configuration where two latex layers are used on top of the spring unit, and probably the more common configuration is a single 3" latex layer on top of the innerspring unit. But there are quite a few options, and I’m sure some of the trusted TMU latex hybrid component manufacturers can contribute much more specific and accurate examples.

Good luck!

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for breaking that down for me, I appreciate your expertise. I have noticed the counterintuitive ild layers only in all layex mattresses, which I don’t think I will ever have personally. I do love learning about latex in general and the reasons for layering in a certain way. Since I really enjoy a hybrid mattress, and have certainly noticed in my search for my own mattress, that they all seem to be 6 or 8 inches of coil and 3 inches of latex on top it is very interesting to hear that coil units can be side by side customized as well. If my husband and I eventually become unable to sleep on one uniform bed, the Sleep EZ hybrid we recently purchased and love, I will know where to start researching. Thank you again!

YW