I am looking for a comfortable sleeper sofa (full bed)

I am looking for some impartial reviews on a sofa bed we are thinking of purchasing for a guest room. We are looking at the Sleeper Sofa Memory Foam Mattress By Classic Brands 414800-11
www.olejostores.com Any thoughts? I am new to this site and can’t find anything on it but I’m just learning how to get around this site.

Hi dottydm,

[quote]I am looking for some impartial reviews on a sofa bed we are thinking of purchasing for a guest room. We are looking at the Sleeper Sofa Memory Foam Mattress By Classic Brands 414800-11
www.olejostores.com Any thoughts?[/quote]

I don’t have any personal experience with the mattress but based on their description here the materials appear to be good quality and meet the quality/density specs in post #4 here. I would be cautious using memory foam with a thin sofabed mattress though because you may sink into the memory foam too much and feel the bar underneath. Post #2 here also includes a few good sources for sofabeds.

I wouldn’t put too much weight on mattress reviews because a mattress that works well for one person may be completely unsuitable for the next person to sleep on in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). For the most part reviews are written shortly after a purchase by consumers who know very little about the quality of the materials inside the mattress they purchase so they are more about initial subjective impressions that may not be relevant to the longer term or to anyone else. You can read more about mattress reviews in general in post #13 here.

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here.

Phoenix

My advice is DON’T BUY A SLEEPER SOFA. I had one for many years, they are all uncomfortable no matter what kind of mattress you get because they have to be thin to fold into the couch. We even put a special plastic between the mattress and the frame part, small difference but not much. It also doesn’t have a frame like a bed would have so in most cases you are supported by springs attached to a cloth like material and the frame is aluminum under that. The worst part about a sleeper sofa is when you go to get rid of it. Ours was in excellent shape , we were in the process of moving and could not take it with us. It took me 2 months to give it away! No one would take it, the only charity that would pick up was the Salvation Army and they couldn’t find parking at our apartment so they kept on driving and wanted to reschedule a pickup. Luckily a family member decided they needed the sleeper and took otherwise I would have been forced to pack in a u haul and then when we got to our destination put it on the side of the road with a sign free for the taking…

There are other options, don’t go with a sleeper sofa!! Airbed, futon, anything but a sleeper sofa!!!

As far as I know, the only way to make a sleeper sofa comfortable is to keep a nice topper stored away to drag out when you have to pull out the sofa - but for the money, I decided long ago it was better to spend just a little money on a blow up air mattress that you could put away when it’s not in use, and just buy a decent couch for every day use.

I agree with the previous members. A close friend of mine has a sleeper sofa and every time I go and stay over I get to sleep on that, and it is extremely uncomfortable. I find it hard to fall asleep and I wake up in pain most of the times. I realize you are not going to use it daily but put it in a guest room, but I would advice against it, as guests need comfortable sleep as well :S