I am new to the forum I just put a deposit on a memory foam bed and would appreciate some advice

Hello,
I have been reading these forums here for a week or so and have been looking for a comfortable soft bed and after looking at over 12 beds and reading the forums here I found one I like it is made by King Koil BUT… It seems King Koil sells to a few distributors
( at least here in Tampa,Florida) that all use different names to describe their bed.

This has caused me to not be sure exactly of what I am buying. I called King Koil and spoke to Gus and he told me `that what I am looking at is made for Bed Pros and yes, that make it exclusive to them. I was told it is very similar to their G-10 premium series. I spent 2 hours at the store and this bed seems the most comfortable and affordable ($1000) total. inc delivery and the box and mattress as well as 2 memory foam pillows.
Also, I like a soft mattress I do have spinal stenosis and the softer beds are more comfortable to me.Here is what I know about the mattress
1, it is called the King Koil Dominion ( bed pros version name for this )

THE COVER IS CALLED " AIRTECK" AND HAS A FOUR WAY STRETCH
THE AIRTECH TECHNOLOGY IS SUPERIOR TO THE COVERS ON MANY COMPETITORS SO I WAS TOLD.

UNDER THE COVER IS 2 INCHES OF 3.74 LBS TALADAY LATEX HAS THE HOLES IN IT SO IT DISSIPATES HEAT.

UNDER THE TALADAY LATEX IS IS 2 INCHES OF 3 LB VISCO FOAM.

THEN UNDER THAT IS 1 INCH OF CONVOLUTED FOAM THEN UNDER THAT IS
1 INCH OF HIGH DENSITY FOAM THAT IS SOY BASED AND
THEN THE 6 INCH CORE WITH RAILS THE CORE IS 50% SOY BASED

I got the above information from the local sales rep for King Koil he also told me this is the newest 2014 model and
exclusive to Bed Pros and he was nice enough to fully explain the bed to me and it seems to be a superior quality bed
I hope this is the proper purchase. If anyone has knowledge of all this bed stats please feel free to give me your opinion of the
quality of this bed…

This bed is suppose to be infused with the cool gel technology (although I am not sure of that) why do these mattress companies all put different names on their mattresses? it makes it hard to see just what you are buying…

I just need good comfort, something that will last many years and not sag as well as little heat transfer when I sleep. does anyone know about Bed Pros version? and is this s superior bed decent quality?? I just do not have 3 to 4 thousand to spend on a bed BUT… I do not want “junk” either… King Koil seems to be well knows I welcome any suggestions or thoughts on this…or, any other mattress of better quality for $1000- $1300.00

beds I looked at… several costly tempur pedic models
the sealy sealy inspration series
I looked at 4 off name beds but no warranty
I almost bought the Elation By Sealy but it was to costly over 2000-

Hi mdc1022,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

[quote]THE COVER IS CALLED " AIRTECK" AND HAS A FOUR WAY STRETCH
THE AIRTECH TECHNOLOGY IS SUPERIOR TO THE COVERS ON MANY COMPETITORS SO I WAS TOLD.

UNDER THE COVER IS 2 INCHES OF 3.74 LBS TALADAY LATEX HAS THE HOLES IN IT SO IT DISSIPATES HEAT.

UNDER THE TALADAY LATEX IS IS 2 INCHES OF 3 LB VISCO FOAM.

THEN UNDER THAT IS 1 INCH OF CONVOLUTED FOAM THEN UNDER THAT IS
1 INCH OF HIGH DENSITY FOAM THAT IS SOY BASED AND
THEN THE 6 INCH CORE WITH RAILS THE CORE IS 50% SOY BASED[/quote]

The information you would need to make any meaningful assessment of a mattress is in this article and there is some missing information in the specs you listed (there are 3 polyfoam layers that don’t include the density of the polyfoam).

If you compare these specs to the guidelines here you will see that even what is listed contains more than “around an inch or so” of lower density memory foam (3 lb) which could be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability and the two other 1" layers that are missing information would also likely be lower quality/density polyfoam as well.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial … then the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Tampa area are listed in post #143 here.

Phoenix

Thank You for the reply!! When the sales guy called me tonight he did so after 7pm ( that was unexpected) so the info he gave me is missing the density wt of the poly-foam (could be my listening skills??) but I was given alot of info and I felt bad that the guy called me after his working hours… I wonder if you are familiar with that bed at all? or the quality of the king koil brand in general.

I will say my buying experience was a good one!! no one rushed me and the sales person said IF I change my mind before Friday night that I could cancel. I was also given a 30 day “FREE TRIAL” and this trial is a bit different than anywhere I shopped. I was told that I would get 100% refund IF I do not like the bed, OR I can select another bed of my choosing. So with that in mind I felt better about buying the bed there, also Bed Pros seems to have a EXCELLENT reputation
here in the Bay area. So, with all that in mind I think I will try this model out… It was very comfortable for the 2 hours I spent there… What are your thoughts on King Koil???

This particular model has "some " of the same qualities of this mode here>>>>>>> http://www.kingkoil.com/mattress-brands/imattress/g-series-premium.html

thank you

Also, why do the retailers change the names of the mattresses?? If I KNEW what MODEL I was buying I could go to the companies website and look it up. Tempurpedic seems to be 1 brand that doesn"t change names at different stores.At least with no “fake names” it would be easier to learn what you are buying…

Hi mdc1022,

I’m not personally familiar with the mattress no.

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Outside of the suitability of a mattress … the next most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is the quality of the construction and the materials inside it. The name of the manufacturer on the label means nothing because all manufacturers have access to similar materials and make a wide variety of mattresses and some may be worth considering and others I wouldn’t consider at all. To me the most important factor of a “brand” is how transparent they are and how willing they are to disclose the information you need to make an informed choice (see this article for a listing of the top 15 manufacturers).

In the case of Comfort Solutions (King Koil) … they are a licensee brand made by different private factories across the country (who may each make their mattresses differetly) and some of their licensee factories are more transparent than others. No matter how suitable a mattress may be for you when you first purchase it … if it uses lower quality materials in the upper layers then these materials can soften, compress, or break down too quickly relative to the price you paid and the loss of comfort and support which is the reason you purchased it in the first place isn’t covered by any warranty. I would keep in mind that a warranty only covers defects and has little to nothing to do with the useful life of a mattress.

Outside of suitability and durability … the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course) would also be an important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

To me … “brand shopping” is among the worst ways to choose a mattress because knowing the name of the manufacturer doesn’t tell you anything about what is inside the specific mattress you are considering.

Mainly to prevent consumers from making meaningful comparisons between different stores that carry the same mattress under a different name so when they tell you they will “beat” any price on the same mattress … there are none that are the same.

Phoenix