I did everything right, but

I came to this site about 5 years ago to read and learn and to avoid the twin evils of back pain and constant mattress replacements. I read everything I could, poring over hundreds and hundreds of posts, educating myself about mattresses.

Having read so much about the durability of Latex, I decided it was worth the investment. I ultimately took the advice of the experts here–I bought a 6" latex core and a few 2" latex toppers from one of the recommended retailers on this site. I mixed and matched until we found a good comfortable combination, and I thought OK, I’m done mattress shopping for another decade at least.

But, no. After 5 years, the core is sagging badly, is causing me back pain again, and I’m looking at buying another mattress. Again.

Please, someone, tell me what I did wrong. I thought I had it all figured out, and I thought that Latex wouldn’t suffer the same fate as all the others. Is this just my lot in life to buy a new mattress every few years? Yes I’m a big guy–6’5", 250 lbs, but you’d think that somewhere out there a bed has been build that won’t crush under my weight…

My eternal thanks to anyone who can help.

If you worked with a recommended retailer on this site for a good combination, and had the mattress on a proper foundation, you should still be covered under warranty for a badly sagging core.

Yeah, no. Their warranty is the same as ever other mattress manufacturer: meaningless. You need to see a visible 2" depression in the mattress when no one is on it in order to get a warrantee claim approved.

Where did you buy this?

Hi Koulbassa,

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles. In my opinion, latex, and specifically Talalay latex is the best material you can put in a mattress. If that is the material that was in your original mattress then the latex failed.

For a person of your body style, it’s important to select the appropriate densities to support your body. I would think the 6" core should be a 40 or 44 ILD. I typically recommend 3" layers because in my experience, we tend to go through 1" and 2" layers.

I would suggest that you consider a Talalay Latex mattress that has layers that are independent of each other so that if one does fail, you can simply replace a layer and not the entire mattress. It should be approximately 9" to 12" in height and again the densities should be appropriate to your body characteristics and weight distribution.

I hope this helps.

Hi koulbassa, and welcome (back) to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you’ve had a less than ideal experience with your latex mattress. Thanks @CST for the input! Agreed that the comfort levels likely failed because of too-soft comfort layers for your higher BMI - appreciate the perspective from the manufacturing side.As you can see by comparing the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, Latex is indeed one of the most durable mattress materials you can have- but there are a few caveats. As you know, any mattress that’s ideal for you will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions), and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

As a higher BMI sleeper, you need to find a balance between the comfort level you prefer and the support you need. If the comfort layer(s) are too soft, you can ‘sink in’ too far and bottom out on the firmer layer(s) below. This can cause aches, pains and even alignment issues. You definitely are not ‘fated’ to suffer a sagging mattress; breakdown of materials like memory foam are a drastically different issue.

Also keep in mind that different types of rubber have different ‘feels’ and properties; Talalay rubber is considered a ‘bouncier’ form of latex than Dunlop - common comparison being the feel of pound cake to angel food cake.

Your plan to salvage the good components of your mattress is a sound one, as it seems like much of the components you already have are working for you. You might want to consider replacing some of your layers with ones which more closely match your body profile, like components from Trusted Members [ of the site like APM, CST, European Sleep Works, SleepEZ, DIY Mattress, Flexus Comfort, or Flobeds, among others; if you give them your Stats, PPP, and the issues you are having with your current layers, they can assist in finding you a solution to get your sleep system back to being compatible, rather than ‘sticking it out’ or starting over. Don’t lose hope - you should be able to get back to a comfortable and supportive bed!

~ Basilio

Hi CST
Thanks for your comments. I purchased a 40 ILD Dunlop mattress and found that a single 2" comfort layer on top made for the best combination.

You speak very highly of Talalay latex–is there a significant difference between the Dunlop and the Talalay?

Also, was wondering about the overall thickness. Did I simply have too little thickness there to support my weight? You recommend 9" to 12", is my overall 8" just too little?
Thanks, your help is appreciated.
K

Hi K,

The difference between Dunlop latex and Talalay latex is that the Talalay process has better control of the density or ILD. The Dunlop process is a poured process so the bottom of the core will be firmer than the top. A Dunlop core will actually come in a range ie, 38 to 42, whereas Talalay will be 40. Talalay is tested in 6 locations across the core to ensure it is the intended ILD.

You are correct in that you didn’t have enough material between you and the 40 ILD core. 2" will not support your body so essentially you were sleeping on the 40 core. CST uses 3 or 4 layers of 3" material. The layers are typically increasing in density as you go down. The top 6" is where we can manipulate the body by using different densities to support the hips and shoulders separately. This type of design will align the spine and provide support based on your body characteristics and weight profile.

Thanks for everyone’s help. That helps me understand what I did, and how I can correct.

One thought–in the information on various mattress materials, if there is information regarding thickness of latex mattresses, I didn’t see it. For bigger guys like me, that would certainly be useful information.

Cheers,
K

Hi K,

I would suggest a 12" construction. 6" Core, 3" Middle, and a 3" Top. Interchangeable if possible. That will give you the support you need and the flexibility to modify in the future should your body profile change.

All the Best and Sleep Well

1 Like

Just an FYI, I have numerous people over 250 lbs sleeping on nothing but a 36 ILD Talalay core and they are over 10 years into it with no issues. The problem with Dunlop is that the quality control is all over the place depending on who the manufacturer is. Talalay has the highest quality control of any latex.

1 Like

I feel the same as you. I went through many cheaper mattresses that would sag and lose support after a couple years. I spent hours researching and spent $4000 on a Talalay latex mattress with the help of users in this forum and after a few years the same thing happened. It’s really defeating. I believe that the advice I got here is good sound advice, so I’m not sure what went wrong. I have a hard time believing that I got unlucky and got a defective mattress. It doesn’t fail the “sag test” so of course no warranty but there’s absolutely no support for my back. Maybe it’s all in my head, but I don’t think so. My wife has noticed it too especially on my side of the bed. I’m not overly large (6’2" / 200 lbs) but I sleep very hot so we joke that I melt the latex and cause it to break down quicker. Maybe there’s something to it.

Needsleep,

Which $4000 mattress did you buy?

John

Look into FloBeds VZone!

John

I had issues with my all talaylay latex mattress sagging after about 3 years as well. After the 20 year guarantee being preached to me, I was told that it wasn’t sagging over 2 inches (it was 1 1/2 inches), so no warranty. I decided to get rid of the all latex and go with a DIY hybrid with coils and dunlop latex. It took over a year of trying different combinations before I found a combination that I hope works. The beauty of the DIY is that when, not if, the latex layers begin to sag I only have to pay a few hundred to replace them instead of a few thousand to replace the entire mattress. However, the DIY route can be seriously frustrating and is not for everyone.

1 Like