I have a 1100 bucks: want something pillow topped medium firm and delivered for that amount

Someone give me a few ideas.
I had a W Hotel bed taht I loved but it went with the ex. Anything similar would be fab.

Hi testerman,

I would certainly avoid buying another hotel mattress. They are made by Simmons and I would also avoid any of the major brands (such as Simmons) as well even if they have a similar design or “feel” similar to the W Hotel mattress … see this article) because they tend to be overpriced compared to other similar mattresses and they also tend to use lower quality materials that can soften and break down prematurely. There is more about hotel mattresses in post #3 here and there is more about trying to “match” the the W Hotel mattress in post #4 here.

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice inside your budget range … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists.

The tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of and they include many good quality/value mattresses that would be well inside your budget range.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I’m outside DC in 20132 zip code. I’m in a time crunch so if someone could just say "look at X Y or Z " knowing I loved my W bed that’d be awesome.

Actually I’ve narrowed it down to the WinkBeds queen and the Saatva 11.5 in queen in plush.

The former is 200 over budget the other is around the right price…what do you think? They both have what I’m looking for…

Hi testerman,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Washington, DC area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

I don’t have personal experience on the W Hotel Bed so I can’t make any meaningful comments about how it would feel to me compared to another mattress that I also haven’t tried in person much less how it would feel or compare for someone else that may have a very different experience on the same mattresses because these types of comparisons are very subjective and different people will have different opinions about how two mattresses compare to each other based on differences in their body type, sleeping positions, mattresses they are used to sleeping on that they are using as a reference point, and their individual preferences and sensitivities.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can approximate or “match” another one in post #9 here but I certainly wouldn’t consider any mattress that used comparable quality materials to most of the Simmons mattresses regardless of how they “feel” in a showroom or when you first sleep on them because the major brands tend to use lower quality materials in their comfort layers than I would be comfortable with considering and I would look for a mattress that uses higher quality materials that is better value than any of the major brands that is just as good a “match” for you as the W Hotel Bed.

Quality and durability aside though … “feel” is the most subjective part of comparing mattresses and a mattress that “feels” the same for one person may feel very different to someone else. I also don’t know of any other manufacturer that makes a mattress that is specifically designed to feel the same as the W Hotel Bed so the only way to know whether another mattress feels the same to you (regardless of whether it would feel the same for someone else) would be based on your own careful testing or personal experience (preferably in “real time” side by side testing with very little elapsed time in between testing both of them because our memory of subjective comparisons such as “feel” don’t last very long).

I would also avoid using another mattress as a “target” (which may not even be the “best” match for you in the first place over a longer period of time) and rate every mattress you consider against a common set of criteria based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I would also be very cautious about buying a mattress with any sense of urgency because this is one of the most common reasons for buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

While a good trial period and refund policy can certainly reduce the risk of an online purchase in terms of PPP … I would also keep in mind that the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress is a completely separate issue and if the quality and durability of the materials or components in a mattress are too low and there is a weak link in the mattress then more rapid foam softening and breakdown may lead to the loss of the comfort and support that was the reason you purchased it in the first place after the trial period is over and the loss of comfort/support isn’t covered by mattress warranties.

In other words … comfort and PPP (how well you sleep) quality and durability (how long you will sleep well before you need to replace the mattress) and value (how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you) are all very important parts of a successful mattress purchase and aren’t mutually exclusive.

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer any specific questions you may have along the way that I am able to help with, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, material, or manufacturer/retailer is the best match for you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While I can’t speak to whether either of them will be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or whether they will feel anything like the W Hotel Beds … there are some comments about both of them in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Both of them use some lower quality and less durable materials that I would consider to be “on the edge” of being a weak link in their mattress.

Since the most important part of “value” is how well you will sleep on a mattress … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Phoenix