I just NEED a BED!

I’m moving and will need to get a mattress. When I arrive, the building has a concrete floor. Figured I could just buy a mattress. Prefer an organic or hybrid because the chemical off-gassing really bothers me.
NO, NO! Really. No one has any stock. You have to order and it takes WEEKS! Tried some futon stores and they DON’T HAVE STOCK, EITHER!!
I’ve slept on a concrete floor before and it’s BRUTAL. This is crazy. One store sells a hybrid that they send and you assemble yourself. For $2,500 why do I have to put the layers of the mattress together myself?? This is such a freaking scam.
I’m moving to BC in area outside of Vancouver. Didn’t want any of bed in a box gel cooling things but now, I may not have a choice.
If anyone has information or help, I would really love it. thank you.

@MFC

thank you @MFC I am checking the site, now!!

Full disclosure: I’m with Sleeping Organic, a latex mattress maker. We don’t ship to Canada, so this isn’t a pitch, just a few things that might help.

On the assembly gripe: a layered latex bed arriving in pieces isn’t a corner being cut. Separate layers inside a zippered cover is how most natural latex beds are built, because it lets you swap or rearrange a layer later if the feel is off, instead of living with it or sending the whole bed back. Zipping it together takes two people about 15 minutes.

On timing: most natural latex beds are made or cut to order, so a couple weeks is normal. To bridge the gap, ask shops around Vancouver whether they have a latex topper or a single latex layer in stock. A 3 inch layer is far kinder than bare concrete for a few weeks, and it can serve as a topper later.

On the concrete floor: don’t leave any mattress straight on it long term. Concrete holds cold and moisture, and latex and wool need air underneath. A slatted base makes a real difference.

Good luck with the move.

1 Like