I know my pillow choice, here's my stats - will you help me get it "just right"?

Thanks for the update Phoenix. Like most laws some make sense and others seem inconsistent. Now that I think of it, I’ve never tried to return a pillow before. I can see where a small company like cozypure would be more vigilant about these things since they probably can’t afford to absorb the cost like a larger corporation.

SallyS, I know for sure it’s a contact allergy with wool. However I don’t know if the lanolin could/would be a problem. If they take it out of the wool somehow before producing items like pillows and also if the coverings would be enough barrier. I really don’t know what part of wool is the problem for me. Sadly I inherited this problem from my father - who otherwise was a very healthy man. Thanks for the heads up on the other noodle possibility. I’ll read up and see if it sounds tempting.
Goodwill took my foam mattress topper last week. My sister was going to drop off some pillows today. I wonder if they will accept them.

Anyhow, I am going to keep the solid latex Zoned Z Malouf zoned talalay pillow. I have adjusted to the different “feel” of it and will be using it as my regular pillow. Maybe someday if my ship comes in I will try out the LaNoodle.

Thanks everyone.

Hi ps99115,

I wondered if you have had enough time that you could review the LaNoodles contour pillow for us?

Thanks

After much consideration and talking to others, I bought a My Pillow. Its been 2 years now and I love it! It washes and dries well. You can put in the dryer to fluff it. It can be put into the shape you need…like bunching it a bit for under your neck to keep your spine in alignment. There are different sizes so it’s customizable. Haven’t regretted it yet! Hope this helps!

Thanks tm820,

I looked it up but their website does not tell what it’s made out of. I’m guessing memory foam. The fact that they don’t readily list it concerns me.
I also am a big reader of Amazon reviews. The pillow has more negative reviews than positive. Over 200+ negatives out of 600+ reviews. Not a good sign in my book.
I am glad it works well for you but I am certain it’s not along the lines of what I am looking for.

I will check back to see if ps99115 and maybe others will review the LaNoodle latex contour pillow.

Thanks everyone.

Hi seejanesleep,

You can see some comments about the mypillow in post #20 here.

You can also see some comments about the Lanoodles pillow in this topic and I also sleep on a Lanoodles pillow and it’s my current favorite (although of course personal preferences can be very different for each person especially when it comes to pillows) and you can see my comments about it here and some comments from another forum member are here.

Phoenix

Hi Seejanesleep,

I received the lanoodles contour pillow last week and took it out of the box and immediately knew it was not for me. Very well made pillow and the cover is nice but the lanoodle filling is just too dense and heavy and I knew my neck would not like it (never took it out of the plastic). I am somewhat of “goldilocks” when it comes to pillows and still have yet to find the perfect pillow. I did not want to make a $100+ mistake so I am unfortunately sending the pillow back. Again I am VERY picky with pillows so the pillow might very well work perfect for you.

I honestly wish I can find a good quality solid foam latex contour pillow at a decent price. At a local latex mattress store I found the organopedic latex countour pillow which was almost perfect but at a price of $325 its way too expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts about a good solid latex countour pillow?

Thanks!

Hi ps99115,

Did you order the one that has the adjustable fill or the one where the fill can’t be adjusted?

The lanoodles themselves are much less dense and softer than solid latex.

Phoenix

Phoenix - thanks for the links.

Clawdia - I saw your older posts through Phoenix’s links and it seems like you have a lot of health issues. Also sounds like the LaNoodle contour pillow worked for you.

ps99115 - thank you for your review. I see reading your prior posts that you’ve been through quite a few pillows. How would you compare the solid latex Z Malouf to the LaNoodle contour?

Thanks everyone.

Hi Phoenix,

I ordered the adjustable contour pillow. I was afraid to open the package and adjust it because I don’t want to void the return policy. I have several solid foam latex pillows (Malouf zoned, LI - none of which I currently use) and I find the solid latex foam pillows to be a bit softer neck feel as compared to shredded latex but the shape is not good for my neck and lifts my head up too high. I would likely do better with a medium-firm solid latex countour pillow.

Seejanesleep - the lanoodle pillow is a very high quality pillow. Cover is made of organic cotton and the latex itself had that sweet vanilla smell (can smell through the plastic) not the “old tennis ball” smell like the Z shredded pillow. A solid and shredded latex pillow is like comparing apples to oranges in terms of feel and personal preference will dictate which is better for you.

Cozypure.com sells lanoodles by the pound. I am seriously thinking about buying some lanoodles in bulk and experimenting in making my own DIY latex pillow (part solid latex and part latex noodles). I the past I have tried modifying one of my solid latex pillows with an electric cutting knife which did not turn out very well. I tried to shave off a couple of inches in height but the electric cutting knife cuts latex vertically easily but shaving a pillow horizontally does not work very well.

Anyone successfully modified or made their own DIY latex pillow?

Thanks,

I didn’t buy a coontour LaNoodle pillow - they sent me one by mistake when I ordered a queen size pillow that has the adjustable fill, so I did get a look at one before I sent it back in exchange for the one I’d actually ordered. I love my queen size ones with the fill that can be adjusted. I had to remove some of the LaNoodles to get the right degree of softness, and managed to get them just perfect for me. The queen size regular shaped pillow has more LaNoodles in it than did the contour pillow, which was noticeably lighter. Once I saw the shape of the contour pillow, I knew it wasn’t for me.

I’ve also made some DIY LaNoodle pillows by buying the bulk noodles, and those turned out great, too.

I’m really tempted to purchase a LaNoddle pillow in the future. It seems they sometimes have sales around the holidays. Maybe I’ll have to wait until Christmastime.

I like the support of my solid latex Z Malouf pillow but once in awhile I will wake up and I’ve moved/slid down a bit and as a result the pillow isn’t supporting my neck any longer. I am thinking maybe a pillow with filling and maybe the contour shape also would help the filling stay under my neck and help my head stay where it’s supposed to be. At least a bit better than a solid pillow would do. My down pillows have been good for filling in the area under the neck but they don’t have the firmer support since they smash down quickly.

I wonder whether the contour or regular LaNoodle would be a better choice for me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is just me, of course, but I didn’t like the shape of the contour pillow at all, even though I love the regular LaNoodle pillows (love 'em to the point that I have two queen size and 3 regular size ones - made one regular size one from the extra noodles that were in the queen size pillows I bought, and bought 4 lbs of bulk noodles to make the other two regular size pillows). The “contour”, what I could see thru the plastic bag it was in, looked and felt like a squared off pillow - not the dimensions of a traditional pillow but more square - that had the “contour” line running right thru the middle of it. For me, I’d want the contour line to be about 1/3 of the way from the bottom, not right in the middle. It had about a pound fewer of the noodles in it when compared to the shipping weight of the queen size pillow.

Considering the odd shape - a regular pillow case might or might not fit - my feeling was that it would be hard to find one that would fit. The regular shaped queen pillows were actually too firm for me to start with, but removing some of the noodles made them really soft but still supportive, and I can smush one around to whatever shape I want at night.

You have to realize, for sure, that I never actually felt of the contour pillow outside of the plastic bag it ships in, so all of my observations are probably at least somewhat skewed by that. The only thing I ended up being sure of is that I wouldn’t want one.

On the other hand, you might think it’s the greatest thing you’ve ever seen.

The other pillow that I had seen is K-Lex, it is a blend of kapok and latex. I was back in that store today and kicked myself for forgetting to get the name. At any rate I was able to try both the regular pillow and the crescent or ‘side sleeper’ pillow. I also tried several other pillows.
The Side Sleeper would have come home with me if there had been another one, I’m going to get one for myself. It was awesome in a very cuddly, supportive way and much better than my initial hand impression. I was not as happy with the rectangular Queen sized pillow. The one they had has been there on display, but inside a protective bag, no odor and the lumpy stuff inside was not at all lumpy to my head.

Manufacturer’s link : K-Lex Pillows | Churchill & Smith

Hi SallyS,

I was talking with someone about a week ago (and I’m embarrassed to admit don’t remember who it was any more) that was telling me that they loved the K-Lex pillow (and they sold them as well) and I told them that it was probably going to be one of the next pillow purchases I make … just because it sounds so intriguing.

Phoenix

Well, there aren’t a lot of places to get them, but now that I have perused their website, I am intrigued by their topper as well. No info available, just a teaser.

Hi -

@ Clawdia - I guess if the contour line runs right through the middle it may or may not be the best fit depending on the person. I’m thinking maybe 3/4 and 1/4 might have been better? Anyhow, food for thought since it can’t be changed.

Re: the K-Lex - this one sounds very interesting. Would love to hear more reviews of it. If it truly has the right blend of support (latex) and ability to conform/mold it (kapok) that could be the golden formula for my needs.
I’m not sure about the side sleeper one. First starting with it back sleeping and then moving it to side sleep? Then if you roll onto your other side you have to move it to that side of the bed. Sounds like too much moving the pillow all night.

I wonder about starting a new thread for the K-Lex pillow? Any first hand info. on this pillow would be much appreciated.

There has been some interesting “pillow talk” in this topic so I’ve added it as one of the links in the main pillow thread here :).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

When you said your next pillow purchase might be a K-Lek, how often do you purchase new items to try? If you do so I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi seejanesleep,

I don’t have any specific timeframe at the moment other than making it my next choice because I’m happy with the pillow I currently sleep on (lanoodles latex) and my DH is also happy with hers (the biogreen trillow) but I would imaging it would be sometime in the next year because my curiosity will probably get the best of me by then.

She is also “the boss” when it comes to bedding purchases :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Seejanesleep: re “the K-Lex - this one sounds very interesting. Would love to hear more reviews of it. If it truly has the right blend of support (latex) and ability to conform/mold it (kapok) that could be the golden formula for my needs.”

• does the LaNoodle not provide both moldability and support? (And soft, yes)?

I am trying to choose between the 2. I have tried the K-lex in person and love the soft squishiness and moldability but felt it was just too low. LaNoodle is much higher but I have no reference on feel comparison.

Reading comments, LaNoodle sounds taller, softer. Is it soft and that weird squishy feel? Retain shape? Softness vs support compared to k-lex? I have severe neck issues and find most foams far too firm but need height as well. The moldability of soft foam seems to help.