I like sleeping on couches

I used to be able to sleep on anything comfortably. But then after pregnancies, C-sections, and kids, I get lower back pain, and mid-upper back pain on most mattresses i have slept on.

I DO need to lose weight. My BMI used to be good, but once again after kids it is now not…im only 5"1 and like 180lbs.

I was always a side sleeper, but trained myself to be a back sleeper. But after pregnancies where you arent allowed to sleep on your back, i became a side sleeper again.

I have been to medical professionals and an osteopath absolutely fixed me up! My back was in so much pain but he realigned my sacrum and pelvis and that fixed that problem. However i do still struggle with sleeping surfaces.

I find the only time i wake up without pain is when i sleep on couches. These couches have springs and 3 separate seat cushions. So usually my hips are on their own cushion (middle cushion) my waist is on the seam of the middle and upper cushion, and the rest top part of me is on the upper cushion. This usually allows my hips to sink in a comfortable amount and everythibt else be supported a bit higher. My hips are quite wide so i do very much want them to sink in more.
I have also slept comfortably on trifold milliard mattresses, however these mattresses do not hold up very long. But either way It seems that anything i sleep comfortably on is a 3 cushion surface!

The couch that i have is quite old and the springs are not in good shape. However the couch that ive slept on at my parents house is in good shape. And the trifold mattresses were new.

I have wondered if sleeping on couches has gotten me accustomed to an inappropriate sleep position, and whenever i try to sleep on a proper sleep surface it has me in pain because my muscles are unaccustomed to a “proper” sleep position, or maybe the mattresses ive slept on just arent for me?

I have a hard time differentiating firmness from support. So i think maybe ive been trying mattresses that are too firm, because i equated firmness with support. When maybe what i need is support, but more cushion?

Recently i have slept on an endy which had me in so much pain every morning. The lower back pain and mid-upper back pain in my ribs. I tried a tempurpedic cloud es a few years ago, same thing. I also tried an i think medium-firm hybrid mattress from a box store a couple years ago. Same thing. My partner has an extra firm mattress which is definitely too hard on pressure points like my hips.
So in general it seems that memory foam isnt for me? However the trifold milliard mattress was a great sleep so idk!

I am going to the osteopath tomorrow to rule out misalignment. But assuming that is not the issue, idk where to go! Im in Nova Scotia, Canada so my options are more limited. I prefer ordering online with a return policy like endy and Douglas and those have. But i have no idea what to get!! HELP ME PLEASE

Hi Hakuna.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re not alone in finding more support and comfort on the couch and you’re right on track having someone check your alignment. Please do keep us updated on that front!

It’s possible that you’ve trained your body to sleep in a funky position which is why you’re experiencing some pain on a mattress. However, you shouldn’t be experiencing excruciating or lasting pain after you’ve been up for a while. It’s also possible that your body is currently requiring different support since your body is different than pre-kids. So, it’s normal to assume your pre-baby mattress isn’t gonna quite do the job.

I have the same issue. My mattress pre-baby was fine. Now, I find myself with sore hips and tossing and turning. I need more support in my lumbar and hips than I did before.

It sounds like the “zoning” from couches and futons is what your body likes right now. We’ve had couch sleepers ask for help in the forum before so this convo and this one may or may not have insights for you.

Personally, I think you may have more success on a pillow top which feels/is created more like a couch with similar materials or potentially a 7 zoned mattress could do the trick.

NikkiTMU