I need a new Memory Foam Mattress

Hi Timothy,

I’m certainly happy to help with any more specific questions you may have but the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information , steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress in post #2 here that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them but if you have done some careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) and you are confident that the Tempur Contour Rhapsody Luxe is the best match for you in terms of PPP then the tutorial post includes a link to a list of the better online memory foam sources I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and several of them sell mattresses that are designed to be similar to many of the Tempurpedic lineup.

There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “approximate” or “match” another one in post #9 here that you can use as a reference point when you are comparing mattresses but most online manufacturers/retailers that specialize in memory foam mattress will be able to provide you with good guidance about which of their mattresses would be closest to the Rhapsody Luxe in terms of “feel”, pressure relief/support, and the quality/density of the layers.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

Having said that … you may be referring to the information in post #2 here about the quality/density of the memory foam they use and I would tend to avoid memory foam mattresses that use 3 lb memory foam unless you are in the lowest budget range where there are no other better and more durable options available to you.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Chicago area (subject to the “value” guidelines here) are listed in posts #2 and #4 here. I don’t know if they carry a mattress that would feel similar to the Contour Rhapsody Luxe to you but I would include My Green Mattress/Quality Sleep in your research since they will likely have among the best quality/value choices available in your area and you may find that one of their mattresses is a better “match” for you in terms of PPP than the Rhapsody Luxe.

Phoenix