I need help choosing a latex mattress...

I’m in the market for a new (all natural) latex mattress. I’ve got a budget of about $ 1,500-1,800 for a queen size mattress. I also want the cover to be organic cotton/wool. I’ve narrowed it down to 4 companies but I am not ruling out new possibilities. My main question is whether I should go with a brand that offers several layers of latex or just one solid piece with a topper. For example, if I’m looking at a total of 9 inches of latex, would it be better to get a solid 6 inch piece with a 3 inch topper or get 3 separate 3 inch pieces, I feel like is could be beneficial to get the 3 separate pieces so I could mix and match the firmness but I am no sure. The 4 brands I’ve been looking at are: FLEXUS https://www.flexuscomfort.com/Natural-Comfort.html , SLEEPING ORGANIC Latex Mattress | Talalay & Dunlop by Sleeping Organic , COZYPURE https://www.cozypure.com/latex-mattresses/natural-latex-mattresses/10-natural-mattress-made-with-100-natural-latex , and MATTRESES.NET Queen Naturalux Mattress, All Natural Dunlop / Talalay Combination Latex Mattress, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop, All Products Thank YOU!!

Hi sbryla8,

I would also keep in mind that some of the non organic wool that you will find in several of the mattresses you listed is also a very high quality material so you may not wish to exclude the ones that use organic cotton quilted with natural wool that isn’t certified organic (see post #2 here and post #2 here about organic certifications).

There is more about the pros and cons of a single 6" latex core vs two separate 3" layers in post #2 here.

You are certainly looking at some great options and all of them are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. All of them use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in any of them. There are also some additional component latex mattresses listed in post #3 here.

Since some of the options you listed use different types and blends of latex in their mattresses there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the choice between different types of latex is a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice since they are all high quality, durable, and “safe” materials.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

When you can’t test a mattress in person before a purchase then one of the most important steps in the purchase process and the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which all of them would) who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Once you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix