I nees help deciding what kind of memory foam mattress i need!

I have been mattress shopping now for a couple months and have hit a wall. I have read countless reviews on mattresses and consumer reviews. The one thing non of the reviews tell me usually is how big and tall the person is. I am 6’7" 270lbs and don’t know what I need. I have been sleeping on the same Simmons beauty rest queen for 10+ years now and my shoulder aches in the morning and my back is stiff… I’m only 25 this shouldn’t be happening yet right?!? Lol anyways I sleep on my back and side, not sure how much of each but I can fall asleep unless I’m on my back and I wake up usually on my side so I know I do both. I have looked at all the big name memory foam mattresses and the one I like is the tempur-pedic cloud supreme. But no way am I paying $3300 dollars for just a mattress and foundation. That might make me sound cheap but I just don’t make that kind of money even if they offer financing. There has to be quality out there for less money. I also stumbled across the Tri-Pedic and see that they seem to offer a good product for less money. I just don’t think they offer financing and I don’t have 1600-2000 cash to spend. Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to know what people thought of the Tri-pedic? What kind of foam density and thickness should I be looking for that would fit my size? Thank you for any help :unsure:

Hi jwilliams34,

The first place I would start is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I would tend to avoid paying too much attention to reviews which can be one of the worst ways to choose a mattress that is suitable for you (see post #13 here).

Post #3 here and the posts it links to has more information that will be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

Simmons and the other major brands tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses so your mattress is probably well past its due date. I think the odds are high that a new mattress that is more suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) will make a big difference (assuming you have no pre-existing back issues).

I would tend to avoid all the major brands (including Tempurpedic) and the tutorial post includes a link to some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of that use similar or better quality materials than Tempurpedic at significantly lower costs (including Selectabed which makes the Tri-Pedic). You can see some of my thoughts about Rick and Relief Mart (who makes the Tri-Pedic) in post #9 here.

You can see some of the “quality” guidelines I would use in post #4 here. Other than focusing more on higher quality more durable materials though (such as 5 lb or higher memory foam or 2 lb or higher polyfoam, or latex in comfort layers especially) … I would avoid any preconceptions about what may work best for you or trying to design your own mattress ahead of time without a specific frame of reference because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to choose a mattress based on specs or “theory at a distance” that don’t have anything to do with the quality of the materials (such as layer thickness). I would focus on either your own careful and objective personal testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) with a local choice or more detailed conversations with an online provider if you are looking in that direction (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you are at step 3 in the tutorial … I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area if you let me know your city or zip code.

Phoenix

Are you interested only in Memory foam? Latex is a better fit for a lot of us - and it is more durable.
Just food for thought.
Jeff

jefmoody, from what I have experienced laying on latex mattresses I did not like the feeling, but I am still open to them if I can find one I do feel is comfortable. As of now I think we have narrowed our search to memory foam, if we can find great quality at a price that doesn’t make me feel like I am putting a down payment on a new car :stuck_out_tongue:

Phoenix, thank you for the reply, I feel like an idiot now that I didn’t read all of the posts you have suggested I will read them tonight when I get off work. Just so you know, I live in McMinnville, Oregon, about 30 miles south of Portland, Oregon. I am willing to go into Portland metro to look if you have any suggestions. Something else I should have brought up in my first post, my significant other has Scoliosis, so she also needs good back and neck support, she is 5’8" about 160 lbs, not sure if that matters but just so you have more info on me.

That’s for the reply… Your Personal Preference is most important.
I came here originally wanting memory foam as well. I tried Latex at OMF and did not like it at first but I did like their memory foam.
Now I’m completely hooked on Latex; although I can live with memory foam if it is firm (Very firm). If you are looking for a queen sized bed (like you currently have) there are several choices available around the $1500 mark.
Best of luck on your search,
Jeff

Hello jwilliams34,

Latex and Memory foam are really unique materials and both would do well to offer support along with pressure point relief. It really comes down to the comfort level that is most suitable for you and unfortunately the hardest thing to know is what would work best. It is also good that you have a model you have tried and liked to compare to like the Tempure model.

A couple things to know as it is different for everyone some things can be factored in when narrowing down comfort selection is general things like size weight and your preferred sleeping positions. For instance a lighter 125lb side sleeper would generally be better suited with a softer plush style mattress as where a heavier 190lb side sleeper might want to go with something medium to plush style mattress, this would feel similar to the two based off the difference in the individuals weight.

Another thing that would have to also be factored in is if you prefer a more responsive type of material like latex which in most cases comes in a variety of comfort levels so you are able to get that nice supportive feel yes nice and comfortable also depending on the layout of the mattress.

Memory foam on the other hand by offering a slower response time may feel more like the mattress is cradling you which can make for a very comfortable feel (generally the reason customers fall in love with the material). It also makes it so that you stay more stationary while you sleep because the material feels like it is all around you in many cases.

I would say in my professional opinion that both are equally supportive but one material might relate to an individual better. It is more about narrowing down what comfort level would best suit you and also figuring out what you would want to get from the material in terms of feel.

I hope this information is helpful in your journey to finding a better nights rest. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this post.

I would also like to thank you again jefmoody for once again being a wonderful brooklybedding customer, and also Phoenix for all the helpful information.

I hope all of you have a wonderful day!

Best Regards,
Mario Sevilla
Brooklyn Bedding
480-323-8831

Hi jwilliams34,

The better local options and possibilities I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #2 here.

While good alignment of the spine and joints in all your sleeping positions is generally the most important part of choosing the most suitable mattress for any particular person … when there are pre-existing back or spine conditions this can be more challenging and good alignment becomes an even more important part of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and making the most suitable choice would be even more important.

Phoenix