I ordered a "Queen Size" core and received two halves. Is that normal?

Hi there! First of all I want to thank this community for the wealth of knowledge available on this message board, which has been a tremendous help in my DIY latex mattress research. Thank you so very much!

I ordered a 6" queen talalay core from a reputable company. Nowhere in the product description does it mention that the core will be split, so I expected one piece of latex. When the core arrived today I was taken aback. It’s in two boxes, apparently split down the middle like a king.

It seems undesirable and unnecessary to split a queen. Less stable, extra friction, and the crevice might be noticeable without a topper. The last core I ordered for a queen came from Latex Mattress Factory and they shipped one solid piece of latex.

I’m not happy about this. Not only am I inclined to return it, but I would go so far as to claim that I did not receive the “Queen Size” core that I paid handsomely for. Before I die on this hill I should ask if selling a “Queen Size” core and then shipping it in two pieces, without customer approval, is an accepted practice. So is it normal to do this? Would you care?

Out of respect for the business I have opted not to name them until I hear their side of things. I’ll reach out on Monday. Please help calibrate my expectations before I talk to them if I’m overreacting.

Thanks!

Hi SlumberToad,

Queen 6" cores are available and manufactured here in the US. The difficulty is shipping a core that size. Sometimes the cores are compressed mechanically for shipping purposes. The other option is to purchase two 3" pieces of the same density. Easier to ship and performs the same way that a six inch core would. I’ve never had any issues with two 3 inch be pieces shifting. The price should be the same.

I hope this helps.

CST

Hi CST,

To clarify, what I purchased was a 6" talalay core. I’m open to considering a mattress made of several 3" layers, and I appreciate the suggestion of an alternative configuration, but that’s not what I ordered.

Also, I don’t think I received two 3" queen sized layers. I assume the core has been split vertically down the middle, like how people put two Twin XLs together to make a king. But I haven’t unpacked the two boxes it came in to confirm this, as I’m likely to send it back.

My question is about whether or not what happened here is a common practice. I ordered a “Queen Size” core, and what I received was two pieces of latex. That’s not normal, right?

If a customer orders a latex mattress, and the product description doesn’t say that it will be split, the seller can’t just cut it in half to simplify shipping and then claim they fulfilled the order, right?

Hi SlumberToad,

Yes I agree. If you ordered a queen core you should have received a queen core with no split down the middle. Even a 6" core can be compressed for shipping.

CST