I think SOL is a horrendous mattress. Should I even dare try latex again?

6’2 270 combination sleeper who is stuck in mattress hell from a horrendous SOL purchase that I ended up stuck with for the last 4 years. I honest to God cannot believe how anyone can recommend this. And yet, countless websites have countless reviews praising this thing.

Laid on a million mattresses over the last 3 days and nothing seems to be quite right. I originally had the SOL medium and the guy on the phone said I’m way too fat to be on that and switched it for a firm and it’s still awful. I don’t understand why they made this so thin, like what is it 7"?

But yet again I search all over the internet and you all seem OBSESSED with these latex mattresses and I can’t help but be sucked in. If I hate SOL, will I hate all latex? I had my eye on a SleepEZ hybrid, but their weight limit says 230-240 max. So that’s out of the question and it led me to find Engineered Sleep. I really like the look of their classic flippable hybrids, but the problem is I obviously have no way of testing the mattress and I honestly dont wanna be stuck exchanging a million times again.

My issue here is they have the ultra firm at 12" and a softer medium 10" option as well. And since I find my current mattress to be too thin, I was thinking of getting the ultra firm and putting a woolroom wool topper on it. Is this a horrendous idea? Am I guaranteed to send this thing back if I don’t like SOL? My thing is I want something slightly less firm than what I have now, and there’s no way to compare these.

Hi silentshout,

Welcome to the MattressUnderGround and joining and becoming part of the family of MUGsters here.

Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with you SoL mattress. Latex mattresses can be quite different depending on their construction. If you didn’t like the SOL mattress, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll hate all latex mattresses. However, given your weight and support needs, a hybrid latex mattress might be a better fit.

While it might be tempting to judge a mattress by its thickness, this should not be the primary concern. A thicker mattress does not necessarily equate to better comfort or support. Instead, focus on the density and compression modulus of the materials used. A well-engineered mattress, regardless of its thickness, can provide superior comfort and support through the strategic use of materials with appropriate densities and compression properties.

As a sleeper of your height and weight, it’s essential to prioritize the density and compression modulus of the materials used rather than focusing solely on the thickness of the mattress. Here’s how different mattress materials can be engineered to various densities and compression moduli to provide the necessary support and comfort for heavier individuals:

In an all foam mattress consider the following.

• Memory Foam: Memory foam can be produced with varying densities. For individuals over 270 pounds, higher-density memory foams are crucial. They provide greater support and durability, which helps maintain spinal alignment and ensures the mattress lasts longer under heavier weight.
  • Latex Foam: Latex foam can also be engineered to different densities. Heavier sleepers benefit from higher-density latex foams, which offer firmer support and better durability. These foams are less likely to sag over time and provide consistent support.

In a hybrid mattress these factors should be your concern.

• Pocketed Coils: In hybrid mattresses, the density of pocketed coils can vary. For heavier individuals, higher coil densities are recommended. They provide better support and reduce motion transfer. Combining these coils with high-density foam layers creates a balanced feel and enhances overall support.
  • Foam Layers: The foam layers in hybrid mattresses should be customized to higher densities to provide adequate support. This allows manufacturers to create mattresses that offer specific levels of support and comfort without necessarily increasing the thickness of the mattress.

We recommend that no mattress have more than 1 inch of lower quality foam of any kind. It is also important to remember what you have been comfortable sleeping on in the past. High-density (HD) foams should be at least 1.8 lbs per cubic foot, or higher for heavier folks. Memory foams should be at least 4 to 5 lbs per cubic foot, if used at all. Support spring layers should be carefully chosen based on their gauge, supportiveness, construction, and engineering.

I have stressed to folks that simply laying on a bunch of mattresses is not the best way to find the perfect mattress. Instead, it serves better as a method to eliminate mattresses that you immediately find too soft.

There are mattress systems designed today to make it much easier to “create” a comfortable mattress. I bought my mattress, sight unseen, based on the specs as compared to other mattresses I “spec’d” out and mattresses tried in the stores.

Trying a mattress is not simply lying on it for 5 minutes, that would be the equivalent of “kicking the tires” on a car to determine if the car is going to last.

When trying a mattress in a showroom, it’s helpful to bring someone along or work with a very experienced mattress salesperson. One of the first things to consider is your posture and alignment while lying on the mattress. Pay attention to whether your body sinks at the hips or shoulders. It’s necessary to remain on the mattress for at least 25 minutes. This is especially important for foam mattresses, as they can become softer as the foam heats up, causing you to sink into them over time. Allowing for this transition ensures you get an accurate feel of the mattress’s support and comfort.

While it’s possible to choose a mattress that suits you perfectly on the first try, especially with the help of a mattress professional, some adjustment time is typically needed when switching to a different style or a mattress made from different materials.

If you can’t find a mattress that meets your initial preferences, consider options from companies like @DLX and @EngineeredSleep (you mentioned them), which offer mattresses with interchangeable components. This allows you to adjust the feel, comfort, and firmness without having to return the entire mattress. Both companies provide a range of component materials for these modifications. So if you decided you do not like the feel of latex, it can be swapped for HD foam, memory foam or some other combination of options. Companies like @TheCleanBedroom do offer options with interchangeable comfort layers, but may not have the same variety of material options as DLX or Engineered Sleep. @Arizona_Premium and @Sleep_EZ do offer all latex and hybrid options with changeable components, unlike SoL with basically the same options in Dunlop processed latex, but with the advantage of offering Talalay comfort options. You may find that SoL is a bit more limited in what they offer in terms of being modifiable.

We currently have a 3" wool topper on a very firm mattress and it is working out just great, but our mattress was comfortable before adding the topper. For our purposes, the topper was added to give the mattress longevity, while adding a bit of contouring and a bit of pressure relief without changing the overall firm feel of the mattress. Other style toppers, such as memory foam and latex can change the overall firmness and feel of the mattress.

The only true way to compare how a mattress will feel with or without adding a topper is to sleep on it for a good 3 or 4 weeks, a 10 minute speed sleep will not get the results you are hoping for. This is precisely why most of these mattress companies offer the sleep trials, as inconvenient as it may be if a mattress doesnt align with your comfort preferences, you do have a way out.

For you, a mattress system with those modifiable options my prove to be the best option, given your body profile and current experiences with trying mattresses.

Hope this helps,

Maverick

1 Like

Yes-here is why: You already have the latex to experiment with, about 7" correct? That is the most expensive part of DIY components. Fact is, you might just end up loving that latex on top of a set of coil springs. Don’t buy a whole new mattress just yet-when you can save some $$ & effort with what you have on hand. FYI-my hubby is close to your size & 6" of firm was a bit too firm. We now have 6" firm & 3" what we were told is SOL ‘medium’, we’re not thrilled with their medium, it doesn’t feel medium, it feels too soft. There is a really big difference between SOL firm & their medium. It seems like they should have something inbetween, cuz the medium 3" is too soft & bottoms out. We are now considering coils & possibly removing 1 of the SOL layers, or possibly getting a medium topper from a different brand, we will figure that out once we get the springs. Find out 1st if you get better comfort with the latex you have on top of springs is what I’d do.

2 Likes

Maverick holy moly thank you. Absolute freaking LEGEND!!! Currently emailing back and forth with Engineered Sleep and they are saying they can customize something for me that isn’t just their default firmness levels. What you said is interesting because in laying on a bunch of mattresses, I did indeed find myself immediately eliminating the ones that were too soft. That seems to be my biggest immediate response, if it’s too soft I say hell no. So that tells me the direction I need to take things in. Thank you!

1 Like