Ikea Latex Matresses

Phil,

Have you looked at any of the online shops?

Sleepez, mattresses.net, flobeds?

I found that there were much better, customizable options at close to the same price, if not better than what Ikea offers.

Their mattress is not quite 8", while you can get 8-10" customized to fit you from any of the above with a 5% discount.
If you haven’t already, find a local Savvy rest dealer and go try out their beds to see what latex feels like, then build your own.

Just my opinion.

Hi Phil781,

I’ll add my own similar thoughts to ARazorbackguy.

Ikea has several different “latex” or latex hybrid mattresses.

[strike]SULTAN ELSFJORD: All latex mattress. I would tend to avoid this because it contains only 5.5" of synthetic Dunlop latex with synthetic fibers in the quilting/ticking.[/strike]

[strike]SULTAN ENGENES All latex mattress. I would avoid this as well because of the 80% synthetic Dunlop and the synthetics in the ticking/quilting.[/strike]

[strike]SULTAN EDSELE All latex mattress. This is 85% natural Dunlop and a wool/cotton ticking/quilting. This is one of the better Ikea choices (although the latex used is still not quite of the same quality as a 100% Dunlop produced in a mold by some of the better manufacturers).[/strike]

[strike]SULTAN FOSSING Polyfoam/latex hybrid. A little better than some but I would still tend to avoid. Good quality polyfoam (2.2 lbs). 80% synthetic Dunlop latex and synthetic fibers in the quilting/ticking (with a bit of wool).[/strike]

[strike]SULTAN FJORDGARD Polyfoam/Latex hybrid. Very similar to the SULTAN FOSSING except a thicker layer of 80% Synthetic Dunlop latex. I would also avoid this.[/strike]

NOTE: See the note and links at the end of this post since Ikea has now changed their foam mattresses to new models.

SULTAN HOLMSTA Pocket Coil / Latex hybrid. I would tend to avoid this. Fairly low coil density pocket coils, lower density polyfoam, 80% synthetic Dunlop latex, synthetics in the quilting/ticking, and layer thicknesses aren’t disclosed.

SULTAN HJELMAS Pocket coil / Latex Hybrid. I would also avoid this. Fairly low density pocket coils. 80% synthetic Dunlop late. Synthetic fiber in the quilting.

SULTAN HEGGEDAL Pocket Coil / Latex hybrid. I would give some consideration to this as a “budget” mattress. Slightly higher coil count, 85% natural Dunlop, Rubberized Coir, and higher quality materials in the ticking/quilting than the less expensive options.
ADMIN NOTE: Removed Footprint to Discontinued Product | Archived Footprint 1: Products - IKEA Archived Footprint 2: Products - IKEA |Archived Footprint 3:ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30188468/ |Archived Footprint 4:ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10139902/#/10139902 |Archived Footprint 5:ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90139941/ 6:ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00206906/ |Archived Footprint 7:ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/70156677/?query=hjelmas |Archived Footprint 8:ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10180675/

The “best” of these are the 85% natural Dunlop Sultan Edsel (now replaced by the Morgongava which is very similar) and Sultan Heggedal which could provide a better local option (for testing at least to check the feel of firmer Dunlop latex by itself or over firmer pocket coils) at better value than many other more mainstream choices … particularly with a softer topper on top if necessary for pressure relief. As ARazorbackguy1 mentioned however, it isn’t the same quality or value as many local manufacturers or online manufacturers who in some cases sell better quality materials at lower prices.

There are also some comments about some of the other Ikea mattresses in post #2 here and some cutaway pictures of some of them which shows the layer thicknesses in this topic as well (thanks to sdmark and MatRest). There are also some comments about them and some of the options that aren’t on their website in post #61 here (thanks again to sdmark) and in posts #3 and #4 here (thanks to jayblackseal). Forum searches on the name of each of their models will also bring up more comments and feedback about each of them as well.

I would also tend to avoid their memory foam mattresses which use 3.1 lb memory foam (which is lower density than the memory foam guidelines here).

Phoenix

Thanks for your help and quick reply. This was very helpful and much appreciated.

Phil

After days of research online I thought I might try and keep it simple and buy an IKEA mattress. Before finding this site I looked at all their mattresses and narrowed it down to the same two you did.

IKEA is two hours away, so there is the possibility of trying it out. My daughter has an IKEA mattress no longer sold in US, and we like it. So here are my questions:

These two possible Ikea mattresses are about 1K, I haven’t found any comparable mattresses in that price range or even close, so if you or the other poster in this thread could be more specific about an actual mattress with better or similar quality near that price it would be helpful. I live in Asheville, North Carolina. Originally, I was going to go with Habitat but realized it was overpriced.

The reason they don’t sell my daughter’s mattress anymore has to do with fire retardant requirements here. It would be helpful to have an article on types of fire retardants used in mattresses, if I missed that, just point me to it

I appreciate all the good info on your site, and if you can give me some specifics to get out of this overwhelm I would appreciate it… Anne Marie

Just wanted to suggest the following manufacturers near you though I am not sure of the prices from what they list they have some quality all latex mattresses and innerspring latex combos:

Colton Mattress in Asheville

The Original Mattress Factory has its closest store over in Hickory.

Best of luck.

Hi beanneu,

Just to add one more to the list that SRugs provided (thanks SRugs :))

http://www.parkplacecorp.com/showroom Larger Regional manufacturer who normally sells only wholesale but has a showroom in Greenville, SC which sells factory direct. You can see their mattresses at their factory direct online site http://www.mattresshero.com/ . You will need to make an appointment first with Jay Orders as it is not a “public” showroom.

Some comments about Colton mattress from one of our members who purchased there is in post #1 here.

These are the closest but there are many more a little further away. A list centered on Greenville is in post #2 here, around Hickory is in post #2 here, around Knoxville is in post #2 here and around Seneca/Clemson, SC is in post #2 here. The ones already listed though have some very good quality and value mattresses (a little more than Ikea but higher quality mattresses, and IMO better value and more flexible construction and layering and I probably wouldn’t go further than that). I would start with Colton and then call the two outlets near Hickory as a reference for comparable mattresses to see if you wish to make the trip.

Fire retardency is a very complex issue but it is dealt with briefly in the “natural vs synthetic” page here, more about rayon/silica in post #2 here, and one of the most informed people I know in the industry has written a very good article about wool fire barriers here.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

thank you

Thank you both. I just called Colton, and plan to go there on Monday. I’m excited about the possibility of finding something made locally. I was concerned because their website is very sparse, but I feel better after reading the post you directed me to.

Are mattress manufacturers required to produce any kind of spec sheet that I can ask for? So far going to mattress stores is like walking into a car sales place. But at least with cars you can find the spec sheets first.

I went to an organic store downtown that sold Savvy Rest, but they seemed expensive around 3K. Layers of latex with thin layer of wool in between. I was a bit lost as to what to ask, even after reading all the research and articles.

For years I slept on a baffled water bed, and really liked it. Then I bought a Sterns and Foster Hartwood, and never really liked that mattress, or felt comfortable on it, and it seemed to aggravate a neck issue I have. I like laying on my daughters IKEA Sultan Hjelmas. Does that information give you any indication of which latex layers or combo I should consider? You have already been incredibly helpful and I am so grateful. I’ll post when I make a decision which needs to be this week. - Anne Marie

Hi beanneu,

The smaller local manufacturers are very open about the materials they put in their mattress and will almost always be happy to talk about the difference between good materials and “not so good” materials. They typically are open and transparent and actually want people to compare the materials in their mattresses rather than making it difficult to impossible like most major manufacturers or chain stores. This is one of the reasons that in most cases (of course not every local manufacturer is automatically “great”) they are such a delight to deal with. When you are dealing with a factory direct manufacturer (or a better sleep shop) … they will know what you don’t so you don’t have to become an “expert” yourself.

Savvy Rest makes some very high quality “choose your own layer” mattresses but IMO … compared to many other very good choices that have mattresses that offer the same options and use the same quality materials … they are significantly overpriced. A forum search on Savvy Rest will bring up lots of information on them. They are great for testing various latex layering combinations … not so great value to make a purchase.

The Ikea Sultan Hjelmas doesn’t provide enough information (firmness of the latex or gauge of the springs) to really know it’s feel and this would also depend on the person and how they interacted with the mattress and on their own subjective preferences (one person’s firm is another’s soft). I can say however that the quality of the latex is low (20% natural and 80% synthetic SBR) and I probably wouldn’t consider it compared to some of the other options available there (or elsewhere). Their own rating is “medium” and Dunlop latex can be quite firm and I would suspect that a lower coil count pocket coil would also be fairly firm. I’ve updated the list in the previous post to include it because for some reason the Sultan Hjelmas doesn’t show on their site unless you search for it specifically.

My best suggestion would be to test the mattresses at Colton (and/or the other manufacturers mentioned) with “fresh eyes” rather than trying to match the feel of a specific mattress. This way you can give feedback about the pressure relief and the alignment of each mattress without having to remember what another mattress felt like and they will know which would be the best layering option to test next to “adjust” the properties and feel of what you are lying on.

Just as food for thought (which you likely know anyway) … a suitable pillow is an important part of a sleeping system and can also greatly affect the alignment of your cervical spine and help with neck issues that are caused by misalignment.

I’m looking forward to your feedback and feel free to post any questions along the way. Of course the manufacturers you have available are likely to have the knowledge and experience to know any information you need just as well or better because they can actually see you lying on the mattress and give feedback in “real time”.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Went to Colton yesterday. The only latex they do is Talalay. They get it from International Latex and it’s a natural/syn blend about 80/20. (Maybe same as Ikea?) I tried both memory foam and latex and still like the latex. I preferred a softer top.

So here is what I am thinking about:
4" of #28 latex over #36 or #44 latex - most expensive option (1800)
4" of #28 latex over 4" 3.1 HR Foam or over 4" of pocket coils (leaning toward foam) This would save me about $500.

Also if I want a natural fiber quilting it would be $300 more and take a week longer. The standard quilting is 40% cotton, 40% poly, 20% bamboo, and uses Visell as the fire retardent.

The natural quilting is cotton and wool. It adds a little firmness which might be good in long run and I heard it helps with temperature and moisture.

So here is what I’m wondering. Is there a downside to using the foam instead of the laytex for the support level? He assured me it would feel the same. If I did that then I could afford the natural quilting.

I know I shiould try some other places but I have family arriving Friday and really want to make the decision today if possible. It’s more than the IKEA mattress, but I like that they are local.

Also, they have an instock mattress that’s got about 6" of latex and the blend quilting, for about 1600. But I would prefer a thicker mattress because I have this low platform bed.

If you could give me some feed back, I would sure appreciate it. They didn’t have one to try with latex over foam, so would feel better if I heard your opinion about that. Thanks, Anne Marie

PS I do see online that Rocky Mountain has a 9" all latex with a natural cover for 1700. How does that compare to Colton?

Hi beanneu,

In order to make a comparison between mattresses … I would need to know the specs and prices of both mattresses and I don’t know the price or specs of a “comparable” mattress at Colton.

I can say though that I like Rocky Mountain Mattress and they are members of the site (which means that I believe they are among the “best of the best” in terms of quality and value). Their current prices for a 6" natural Dunlop core with a 2" talalay latex comfort layer are very good value (which is typical of the members here). When ordering online though … knowing your options if you need to exchange the mattress or a layer is important because unless you are at their local outlet you won’t have had the chance to lie on it to test it in person and it is is a “finished” mattress and not a zip cover where you choose layers or can exchange them although it does offer choices in firmness levels. Of course local testing on latex mattresses can provide a good guideline to the firmness levels that work best for you.

Overall … the Rocky mountain is good value but like all online purchases have a degree of “risk” (shipping charges for any exchanges or returns) and this would need to be included in your “value equation”.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Did you see the previous post where I listed the price. The (1800) is dollars, then it’s 1300 for the other two options, foam or pocket coils. The Colton stock mattress is 6" latex, but doesn’t have the natural cover. - Anne Marie

Hi beanneu,

I did miss your post, sorry … it must have snuck in when I was busy writing another one.

The Colton natural/synthetic blend (which would be 30/70 NR/SBR) is talalay rather than Dunlop and would be a higher quality and more expensive type of latex than the blended continuous pour Dunlop that Ikea uses. If I am looking at Dunlop (rather than talalay) … I personally prefer 100% natural that is by companies like Latex Green, CoCo latex, or Latexco (among others).

Assuming that the latex support core is 6" … all of these would be good value IMO. The 3.1 lb polyfoam is exceptionally high quality (approaching the quality of latex in many specs) and pocket coils with latex comfort layers are also a preference for many people. All of these in other words are very high quality options and have good value IMO and preferences, intangibles, and budget would be the reason most people would choose one over the other.

When I am comparing a mattress made locally by a manufacturer to an online outlet … I would tend to include a premium in my “value equation” to the fact that I have been able to test the mattress for pressure relief and alignment which removes much of the uncertainty of buying online. Making changes after the fact is also easier (if the manufacturer allows this) because the manufacturer is local and the mattress wouldn’t have to be packaged and shipped. If this “premium” on a similar mattress is too much however … then the additional risk of an online purchase may also be worth considering.

The most important part and benefit of buying locally though is the ability to carefully “fit” a mattress to your needs and preferences (under the guidance of someone who is very good at this) and I would never make a purchase under the pressure of other events because this is something you will be living … and sleeping with for many hours each night for a long time. I would personally not make any purchase until you are satisfied that the mattress you are choosing really will give you the pressure relief and the alignment and support you need and also feels the way you prefer a mattress to feel. Even an online purchase can be much more accurate if you have done enough local testing to really know what you need and prefer.

Bear in mind too that it is sometimes difficult to make exact comparisons because the cost of the quilting/ticking (as you can see) and differences in the amount of materials used in different mattresses can make a real difference in the final prices so price comparisons are more “ballpark” comparisons based on similar amounts of similar materials and there is no “exact” way to factor in “exactly” the many other variables and intangibles that are important part of each individual’s value equation.

There’s more information about the various choices in ticking/quilting materials here (ticking) and here (quilting) and about natural vs synthetic here as well as in many other forum posts as well including post #2 here but they will basically confirm what your own experience and Colton is telling you and help to give some context to any “price benefit” tradeoffs that may be important to you.

All of your choices here are good ones IMO … and once someone reaches this point (has eliminated the worst or low value choices) then it’s very difficult to go “wrong” and its more a matter of deciding what is most important to you and the levels of risk/benefit and the prices of various options that you are comfortable with rather than thinking in terms of which one is “best”.

Phoenix

So here is my Ikea experience.

1. SULTAN EDSELE
    Your review in another thread “All latex mattress. This is 85% natural Dunlop and a wool/cotton ticking/quilting. This is one of the better Ikea choices (although the latex used is still not of the same quality as a 100% Dunlop produced in a mold by some of the better manufacturers).”
    I was surprised how soft it was after all i read about dunlop hardness vs talalay. I actually felt like i was sinking in it and it didn’t feel supportive or pain/pressure relieving, actually felt like it was amplifying pain initially. (this was the same experience I had with a 2" memory foam topper that someone gave me as a gift…dont know lb density of foam)
    Interestingly, unlike all the others I tried, the longer I laid, the more it seemed to adjust/correct, and after some time the pain seemed to dissipate and became reasonably comfortable. Stated as 7 comfort zones. The price online is 729, but in store was 979!..whats that about?..60 buck delivery charge…dont think they remove your old…free delivery and removal one of the nice things about the mattress chains even though the are clueless on specs and just tryin to hustle they commission.

2. SULTAN ELSFJORD
    Your review “All latex mattress.I would avoid this completely because it contains synthetic Dunlop with a synthetics fibers in the quilting/ticking.”
    This was much firmer and supportive and didn’t instantly cause me pain like number 1(edsele). Didn’t really notice much difference than the feel of a memory foam mattress. Reasonably supportive and comfortable. Stated as 5 comfort zones. Positive is you can take it with you…no delivery charge

3. SULTAN FJORDGARD
    Your review “Polyfoam/Latex hybrid. Very similar to the SULTAN FOSSING except a thicker layer of 80% Synthetic Dunlop latex. I would also avoid this.”
    This was much firmer and supportive and didn’t instantly cause me pain like number 1(edsele). Didn’t really notice much difference than the feel of a memory foam mattress. Reasonably supportive and comfortable. Stated 5 comfort zones. 529 online

4. SULTAN HEGGEDAL
    Your review " Pocket Coil / Latex hybrid. I would give some consideration to this as a “budget” mattress. Slightly higher coil count, 85% natural Dunlop, Rubberized Coir, and higher quality materials in the ticking/quilting than the less expensive options."
    Its almost the opposite experience of number 1). There is an instant positive feeling of support and pain relief, but over time you wonder if comfort is degrading. Reasonably supportive and comfortable. Stated 5 comfort zones. 829 online…60 buck delivery charge

5. SULTAN HOLMSTA
    Your review “Pocket Coil / Latex hybrid. I would avoid this. Fairly low coil density pocket coils, low density polyfoam, 80% synthetic Dunlop latex, synthetics in the quilting/ticking.”
    Didn’t notice that much difference with 4), maybe actually more comfy feeling. Reasonably supportive and comfortable. Stated 5 comfort zones. 429 online

My take aways:

1. Its very hard to remain objective. Lots of things sub-consciously sway perception.
  2. Harder than I thought to discern major differences even by laying on them for a couple minutes(as opposed to reading specs)…support, comfort, nor temperature… don’t like hot…which is pretty depressing…you would almost have to spend a night on each…which of course you cant do
  3. None of the them blew me away like…ooooohhhh that feels good…want more of that. Didn’t happen at value city furniture either…even with their expensive beds.
  4. I don’t actually hate springs like I thought… don’t know if its just the independent “active coil” or “pocket coil” design, or all springs
  5. Cant really discern major differences between solid synthetic latex, and thin synthetic blend layer over foam.
  6. I could however discern difference between majority natural dunlop over majority synthetic dunlop. Natural had this more viscous liquid feel that seemed to cradle more and adjust over time.
  7. Surprised how soft dunlop can be after descriptions…makes me think talalay may be too squishy for me…will need to try i guess.
  8. Couldn’t tell difference between 5 comfort zones or 7
  9. The highest correlation in positive vibes was to firmness. Numbers 2-4 were “most firm” listed. Numbers 1 and 5 were just “firm” listed. I instantly felt more supported or pain relieved on 2-4. This makes me think knowing and having experience with the IDL or being able to choose the firmness of one or all layers is important. By specs and price you would think number 1 would automatically give the best initial warm and fuzzy…but didn’t happen like that due to firmness.
  10. Was pleasantly surprised by Ikea. They had hands on cutouts of all their mattresses with explanations on construction and materials. You can exchange as many times as you want for anything in the store over 90 days until satisfied. Way more consumer friendly and transparent than the bed chains I have been to.

Guess now I have to make it out to vienna and merrifield to savvy and americanfoamcenter to try some talalay and 100% natural dunlop.

The saga continues

Hi jayblackseal,

My reply to your comments are in post #4 here in your other thread.

Thanks for adding it to the Ikea thread as well.

It’s one of those “good” duplicate posts :slight_smile:

Phoenix

[quote=“jayblackseal” post=10290]1. SULTAN EDSELE
Your review in another thread “All latex mattress. This is 85% natural Dunlop and a wool/cotton ticking/quilting. This is one of the better Ikea choices (although the latex used is still not of the same quality as a 100% Dunlop produced in a mold by some of the better manufacturers).”
I was surprised how soft it was after all i read about dunlop hardness vs talalay. I actually felt like i was sinking in it and it didn’t feel supportive or pain/pressure relieving, actually felt like it was amplifying pain initially. (this was the same experience I had with a 2" memory foam topper that someone gave me as a gift…dont know lb density of foam)
Interestingly, unlike all the others I tried, the longer I laid, the more it seemed to adjust/correct, and after some time the pain seemed to dissipate and became reasonably comfortable. Stated as 7 comfort zones.[/quote]

I found it quite hard, although not like laying on solid quartz like the other latex bed near it. It was quite hard without the extra topper, and still hard with it (although bearable).

[quote=“jayblackseal” post=10290]2. SULTAN ELSFJORD
Your review “All latex mattress.I would avoid this completely because it contains synthetic Dunlop with a synthetics fibers in the quilting/ticking.”
This was much firmer and supportive and didn’t instantly cause me pain like number 1(edsele). Didn’t really notice much difference than the feel of a memory foam mattress. Reasonably supportive and comfortable. Stated as 5 comfort zones. Positive is you can take it with you…no delivery charge[/quote]

I think this is the extremely hard model. If I had to lay on this for more than half a minute I probably wouldn’t be able to walk. Hard beds give me middle lower back pain, which I don’t get usually. I usually have back pain on the outer sides of my lower back.

I was disappointed. But, my body isn’t made for hard beds.

Hi RF,

I was disappointed. But, my body isn’t made for hard beds.[/quote]

I think more than anything else this goes to show how different people and their individual perceptions really are and how important it can be for each of us to test a mattress to see how it performs and feels for us … which may be very different from someone else.

Phoenix

For what it’s worth, I recently checked out the IKEA latex options and here’s what I found

IKEA rates this as “most firm” and it was the only one that felt comfortable to me. Given its great price point ($599 for king) I was going to put it on my list if I could find good reviews of it. But I was worried that at only 5 1/2 inches, it might not hold up, especially since my husband and I are both on the heavy side (170lbs and 225lbs). And, as Phoenix points out, it’s all synthetic Dunlop.

I went expecting to love this one since it’s their top end and it’s mostly natural Dunlop. But I was shocked by how soft it felt (it’s rated “firm” by IKEA). It was comfortable in so far as it was super cushiony, but it felt like there was no actual support underneath all that cush, and I could tell after laying on it for a good 10 minutes that my body felt too unsupported to relax properly. Definitely not for me.

This is their newest one. IKEA rates it as “most firm” and the price point is $999 for a king. It felt great, although I don’t know how much that great feel is the mattress by itself or the Sultan Atloy box spring they feature it paired with (which adds another $500 to the total price for a king). Would it feel the same on their much cheaper Luroy ($80) or Laxeby ($200) slatted bases on a platform bed?
ADMIN NOTE: Removed Footprint to Discontinued Product | Archived Footprint 1: Products - IKEA | Archived Footprint 2: Products - IKEA Archived Footprint 3: Products - IKEA

Glad to have these as a point of reference as I begin my research, and to know that two of these could be reasonable budget options, but realizing from lurking on this site that there is better value to be had out there

Hi Yogimama,

I’m surprised that you found this as comfortable as you did considering its thickness and firmness. IMO … it would not be as durable as the more natural versions of Dunlop which are more elastic and more durable. It seems clear to me that you like firm mattresses though. I’d be curious to know which sleeping position you tested this with (and the others as well of course).

Based on the shipping weight … this would be about 85 kg/m3 or perhaps slightly less (because the cover and quilting would also be part of the weight) which would be in the medium/firm range. The seven zones (or at least some of them) would probably feel softer than an unzoned core but softness and firmness is so subjective that each person would have a different idea of what feels soft or firm. Firmer foam will also feel softer under heavier weights though so this could be part of it. Sometimes too latex can be deceptively soft but still supportive because it is so elastic it can “give” more than polyfoam even though it gets firmer faster so it can also be more supportive.

I haven’t tested these in person but it would make sense to me that the box spring would have more give to it than either the Luroy or the Laxeby and would feel a little softer.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on these mattresses :slight_smile:

Phoenix