ILD of Latex layer in Nest Bedding Love bed (FIRM/King size)

Hi jjramsey,

The soft and medium uses 1.5" of quilting foam and the firm uses 1" of quilting foam (I confirmed this in a conversation with Joe).

With thin layers of quilting foam the density isn’t important to know because it doesn’t have a significant effect on the durability or useful life of the mattress and is more for the “surface feel” and to provide some additional softness to the mattress (see this article and the foam quality guidelines it links to). Quilting foam is often in a 1.2 - 1.5 lb density range although it can also be more or less than this as well.

Of course once a quilting layer is 2" or thicker then i would want to know the density because thicker layers of lower density materials can have a more significant effect on foam softening and can be a weak link in a mattress. The IFD of the quilting foam also wouldn’t be important for all the reasons I listed in my earlier replies in this topic and also because the quilting pattern will have a bigger effect on the firmness of the quilting foam than the IFD of the foam.

A requirement to know “every spec” in a mattress or to know some of the specs that aren’t meaningful or relevant or important can reach a point of diminishing returns and can make looking for a good quality/value mattress much more complex than it needs to be.

Phoenix

@nestbedding Thank you very much!!
may be a stupid question what are c1, c2, c4 represent ?
(i did a search on oeko tex site & google, nothing…)

Hi amun,

They are firmness ratings that Mountaintop foam uses for their latex. Each firmness rating (from C0 which is the softest to C5 which is the firmness) has an ILD range that is associated with it although their ILD ranges don’t match the ILD ranges of other latex manufacturers that make different types and blends of latex. There is more about ILD ratings in post #6 here. It’s certainly not something that is particularly important to know

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!!
i really appreciate your efforts in these forums & definitely gave good knowledge on mattresses :slight_smile:
have a nice long weekend.

Hi Phoenix,

So it’s been about a month since I’ve started sleeping on the Love Bed. There were no strong initial odors when I first opened it up, but I let it air out for a day just to be sure the gasses dissipated and for the mattress to expand fully. I ordered the medium firmness and it’s very soft and plushy. I can lay on my stomach and fall asleep no problem! I also ordered Organics & More Naturesoft percale sheets to compliment the bed. This was my first bed purchase but comparing it to my Mom’s guest Serta, it is much more comfortable. I’m getting better sleep now which is great for me. My arms don’t fall asleep anymore and I haven’t been waking up with headaches either. I think the only weak link I have right now is my pillow. I’ve ordered a buckwheat pillow which will arrive next week so I am hoping that I will sleep even better with that.

I know I didn’t review the bed very well, (I have no idea how to review a bed!), but I can tell you that I would give it a good 9/10 rating. Why not a 10? I can still feel my girlfriend move around at night sometimes, but not all the time. She only weighs 115, so I’m not sure why I would be feeling her. We’ve both been sleeping better at night, so I feel this was a worthwhile purchase that I intend to keep for several long years.

Short version: this is a great bed! I highly recommend it. Not too expensive and still provides great comfort!

Thank you Phoenix!

Hi jmor88,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your Love Bed … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’ll be interested in hearing your comments about your buckwheat pillow as well. You can read a few comments about buckwheat pillows in the pillow thread in post #11 and #13 here and in in post #23 here. They are certainly very unusual compared to most other pillows and some people love them and some people … not so much.

Latex is generally “good” at motion isolation but it certainly doesn’t completely isolate all the movements from one side to another and it’s not as motion isolating as memory foam. For most people that aren’t unusually sensitive a latex comfort layer with a polyfoam quilted cover such as yours would be “motion isolating enough” and even though they would still be able to feel their partner’s movements when they are awake … it wouldn’t be enough to wake them up or affect them if they are sleeping.

Phoenix