I'm Baaaack! Naturepedic EOS Classic or Pillowtop vs Vispring Coronet

Hi Phoenix (et al) -

Y’all helped me about 6 years ago when shopping for a good mattress. I ended up with a Green Sleep Nui (I think that’s the model). It has springs covered by a thin layer of wool, then a few inches of latex, followed by cotton). We also use an organic wool pad over that, mostly to help with cooling, but it does provide a little bit extra cushion. The mattress developed a fairly significant sink after 6 years, plus a coil poked through. My store no longer carries Green Sleep, and Green Sleep was giving them and me a hard time about honoring their warranty. They finally are, however by offering me some cash because of the premature failure of the mattress. I’ll be looking at a new mattress, but I am choosing between two different mattress companies.

Naturepedic puts out something similar to the above design in their EOS line. And Vispring puts out a Coronet line which exchews any latex at all, and instead uses alots of cotton and wool over pocketed coils. The store feels bad about the lack of life on the Green Sleep mattress they sold us, so they’re giving us a good break on whichever mattress we choose from them.

My wife tends to get hot, so the cooler the sleep, the better. She sleeps on her stomach quite a bit, as well as on her side and back. I’m mostly a side sleeper. I’m 5’8", about 230 lbs.

Which of the above mattresses, the EOS Classic, the EOS Pillowtop, or the Vispring Coronet might you recommend for our purposes? Each of these are also customizable on each side of the bed. My wife might prefer something firmer while for me, as primarily a side sleeper, I might want something a tad softer. Naturepedic offers their “plush” option, as well as firm and medium options. Vispring also offers customization for “tension”.

Thoughts?

Thanks,.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
We have the Naturepedic EOS Pillow top in the following two options. We got the latex free configurations.

Myself, female, older, very bad back. I liked the plush coils with two layers of the medium microcoils.
My husband does not have a bad back and loves a soft bed. He got the the firm coils with two layers of the soft microcoils. I found this configuration too soft.

My huband would also like the plush coils with two layers of soft microcoils but he couldn’t tell the difference between that and the firm base coils so we kept the firm since we had it already. He is also heavier and I think the firm will hold up better over time for him. In order to try all the configurations at home we ordered two twinXLs with different could set ups and then swapped the layers between ourselves to see which we liked better.

I think microcoils will hold up better than latex which is a foam that can develop body impressions. Our previous all latex mattress developed body impressions that couldn’t be seen so hence no warranty would cover them.

We started with the Classic and we both wanted more of the pillowtop feel so upgraded to the pillowtop during the exchange period.

I had not heard of vispring in my research so didn’t try them. Naturepedic had a store near us so I was able to try them and I liked that they had a return policy that was easy to work with.

Thanks for your feedback.

ViSpring is an old English brand which makes latex-free mattresses that are hand-made, using only cotton, different kinds of wool, horsehair, and springs. With Queen size and larger, they will divide the two sides into two different firmnesses. The downside to their mattresses is that once they’re made, they’re made. There’s no swapping out if things don’t feel as you’d hope the way a Naturepedic is able to be altered.

The tricky thing for me (as well as my wife) is that I’m a side sleeper and heavier than she is, while she also sleeps on her stomach and on her back. My issue is getting a mattress that will keep my spine aligned without sinking in too deeply, while at the same time allowing my shoulder to sink in enough. I have been finding that mattresses which give enough to support to my hips to align my spine don’t give enough sink to allow my shoulder to sink in enough. If there’s enough sink for my shoulder, my hip tends to sink in a bit too much. Certainly with a Naturepedic, we can’ sort of get it right individually, but I’m trying to find the right combination.

I tried a pillowtop with a soft layer, a firm layer (both latex) and the firm spring layer. I found my hips going in a bit too deep, although it was pretty good for my shoulder. Swapping out to a firm layer on top, it didn’t allow enough sink for my shoulder. They had a bed with a firm layer on top and the plush springs. I found that to have a bit too much sink for my hips. The one that might be the closest was a soft top latex layer and the firm springs.

We also compared a bed with a soft latex layer with firm springs on one side, and the soft microcoils layer with firm on the other. The microcoils side was MUCH softer, less supportive than the soft latex side.

Apparently there is also a ‘Cushion Firm’ lower spring layer, which is between the ‘Firm’ and the ‘Plush’. I don’t know if the dealer has that in stock, but I imagine that they could get it for us if were to want to try it. Frankly, I think I would, as NONE of the beds I tried were the Goldilocks ‘Just Right’ combination.

Did you get to try the medium microcoils? I found the soft microcoils tended to bottom out and then my shoulder was into the base coil layer.

The problem with our Naturepedic store was they only had one layer of medium microcoils and one soft microcoils. So in order for us to try the combinations we ended up with we had to buy the mattresses with one each of the firm and plush base coils and then two each of the soft and medium microcoils.

One of the mattresses I tried in a Boulder CO mattress store may have been a ViSpring. The description you gave sounds alot like what they described. It was really expensive. I don’t remember if I liked it. They had another one I liked alot but they didn’t have a return policy and I didn’t want to get stuck with something that didn’t work out for me.

Mattress shopping is tough because the combos I thought I like in the store weren’t what worked out at home. And as I said above, they didn’t even have the components to let us try the combos we liked. I suggest trying the medium microcoils either on a classic or two layers on the pillowtop.

Hi -

I didn’t get anything. We’re just auditioning mattresses. I did try the soft microcoil, and as you said, it bottomed out quickly, whereas the latex, at least, did some supporting and cradling. Our sales guy does not like mating microcoils on one side with latex on another anyway.

I’m curious about the Naturepedic Halcyon series, but the store we’re going to buy from doesn’t carry it. The Halcyons use wool, alpaca, and cashmere in the quilting.

In any event, we have been using a wool topper to help with circulation for my wife, but I’m beginning to believe that it doesn’t fully allow the latex comfort layer to fully do its job.

Our sales person made a comment that they didn’t think the two layers of microcoils worked well in the pillowtop as one would slide around on top of the other. But it was the first time we went in and an off hand comment. So when we wanted to try that configuration they didn’t balk. And we found two layers of microcoils were an excellent configuration. I asked her about it and she said that was the feedback she got from one sale. I think it was a made up reason to return the mattress as it does not reflect our experience.

I did try the Halcyon. I didn’t think it was more comfortable. In fact it read a slight bit harder to me in the quilting layer. Not a huge amount but enough for me to dismiss it based on it being more expensive and not a real advantage.

If you think you want to try one side latex and the other microcoils have them set it up that way and then roll around on it and see what the objection is to that configuration. I can’t see why having them next to each other would cause a problem. Same way I couldn’t see having two layers of microcoils on top of each other would cause them to slide around.

When we had a full latex bed we used a wool fleece style mattress pad and really liked it. However we took off the original mattress top casing that had wool batting and a knit cotton cover. Without the top casing the latex was more flexible which worked well with the wool mattress pad and was very comfortable. I think both together made the latex harder and less plush.

Sorry, I meant to say I didn’t get to try the medium microcoils. I don’t know if they have that in stock to try. I’d like to try the Cushion Firm coil layer as well. I’m not sure if they have it that in stock either.

The cushion firm coil level must be really new. We bought late last year and it wasn’t mentioned but maybe because the store didn’t have any of those base coils in stock. When I had both the firm and the plush base coils open it was not that easy to tell the difference between them by pushing on them. I had to feel the thickness of the metal through the fabric with my fingers. But I could feel the difference in the base coils when we were trying them with different comfort layers on top. However my husband’s final configuration of firm base coils with two layers of soft microcoils could have easily been plush base coils with two layers of soft microcoils.

In looking at the web site they obscure what configuration your getting by using cryptic names like Plush, Ultra Plush, Medium, Cushion Firm. This doesn’t tell you what base and upper layers your getting. But when ordering through the store I was able to specify the layers I wanted. Probably that can be done if one were to phone in an order also.

Based on what you said above it sounds like you weren’t happy with any of the classic configurations. Given that I think you can’t go wrong with the pillow top. It really gives you alot of flexibility to try different layer combos.

We tried the following in the classic:
Plush base, soft microcoils
Plush base, medium microcoils
Firm base, soft microcoils
Firm base, medium microcoils

In the pillow top:
Firm base, medium microcoils, soft microcoils.
Firm base, soft microcoils, medium microcoils
Firm base, soft microcoils, soft microcoils (my husband’s favorite)
Firm base, medium microcoils, medium microcoils
Plush base, medium microcoils, soft microcoils.
Plush base, soft microcoils, medium microcoils
Plush base, soft microcoils, soft microcoils
Plush base, medium microcoils, medium microcoils (my favorite)

If I were you I’d skip the classic and go right to the pillow top. Did your wife not like the microcoils? My husband thought he wanted latex but once he tried the microcoils he really liked them. I think they will hold up better also.

I’m not sure I understand the latter. You had a wool mattress pad and a mattress casing. How did you take the casing off?

We currently have a very thin wool washable mattress cover. We use that to cover the quilted wool mattress pad, which then goes over the Green Sleep Niu mattress, which is very similar to the EOS - small soft latex layer over wool covered pocketed coil set.

Which in your old bed hindered the latex?

My wife prefers a firmer mattress. The two soft latex layers didn’t floor her.

The above distinctions, Plush, Cushion Firm, etc., refer to the bottom coil layer, to my understanding.

We had the 8" Nu-Lex.

It comes with a wool batting case that is covered in knit cotton. We unzipped the top, kept the bottom and sides, put both into a 4 sided bed bug cover (to hold them all together) and then put a Denali Down Under wool mattress pad on top. It made the mattress much softer than it was with the wool batting pad that came with the mattress.

We bought the mattress pad a long time ago (maybe 2003) and at that time it had a full bed skirt instead of straps. We washed it many times (a couple of times a year) and it held up really well. I still have it even though with this mattress purchase we moved to two twinXL beds due to having gotten adjustable bases. It is a king size so not being used but it is too good to just throw out so it sits in my linen closet.

Actually we may have the Supreme because that has the fitted skirt.

Give Naturepedic a call tomorrow and check on the base coil options. My understanding is the options on their web site, at least in the no latex option, were describing a combination of base, and two upper levels but the actual components weren’t specified.

Will do

Hi again -

I’m going to a company store. I also talked to corporate. They both independently suggested finding a combination of the Pillowtop. Neither love the microcoils other than for those who have a latex allergy. But the local Naturepedic store rep suggested may trying a set of medium microcoils inbetween the lower firm layer and a medium level latex top layer.

Regarding their warranty of getting a latex layer that is too sunken in, the corporate person said that they’re not too strict about. They ask that someone who has an issue unzip the quilted top layer and put something stiff across the surface of the latex layer and photograph it. If it shows an indentation, they’re fine enough with that proof to replace it.

Anyway, we’re going to go to the corporate store tomorrow to try out different options for the Pillowtop for us.

Jeff

Hi AnalogJ/Jeff.

Great to have you back! :slight_smile:

Good to hear that you are happy with the decision you made 6 years ago and all the help you got from our mattress forum. Too bad that started to breakdown (probably from the wear and tear that comes with high BMI sleepers) but I am glad to see that you are ready to upgrade and looking at some good mattress options. I am seeing that you are making good headway with your choice and getting some input from our subscribers that sleep on one of the options you are considering.
You seem to be almost ready to pull the trigger so so it may be a good time to throw a few cents worth of reinforcement opinions.

(9.8") Vispring Coronet … Vi-Spring certainly makes some exceptional hand-built and tufted mattresses that use high-quality materials and components (pocket coils and natural fibers) but as you probably know they are in a much more premium budget range than many other mattresses that also use natural materials. With this option, it’s good that you can customize comfort/support before the purchase according to your personal sleep preferences and statistics. The downside of it is that if the match does not turn out as well as you are hoping for any of the sleepers you don’t have alternative options.

Layers that are closer to the top sleeping surface will have the greatest impact upon comfort and sleeping temperature (including any mattress pad, sheets, and linen). I am not sure if you came across some of our posts that discuss temperature regulations issues, but you can read more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at leastpost #29 about temperature regulation and mattress microclimate to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful. You may also be interested in the information in .

The natural fibers in all the options you are looking at, allow for airflow and humidity control which translates into better temperature regulation, as does the type of ticking (cover) used: such as wool, silk, cotton or viscose or even some of the more breathable synthetics which wick away moisture and ventilate better and humidity control is a key part of temperature control.

If your wife is mainly a prone sleeper, she’d need the thinnest comfort layer … back sleeping is in the middle, and side sleepers like you need the thickest comfort layer. It is rare that anyone … even a side sleeper … would need more than 4" in a comfort layer. I’d recommend that you weigh your comfort/support choices well as stomach sleeping is a common source of back issues as stomach sleepers tend to sleep in a “swayback” position, especially if their comfort layer is more than an inch (or at most two) or if their support layer is too soft. You don’t mention your wife’s BMI but If there is a large disparity between your weights, that would be another factor to consider in choosing a mattress that will be both comfortable and durable for years to come.

EOS mattresses come in 2 configurations:

[indent](14" +) EOS PILLOWTOP (8"support coils + 2 of the 3" comfort layers)

[indent](Detachable zippered pillowtop
• quilt (organic cotton & wool batting)
• 3" organic Dunlop latex comfort layer
Base mattress
• 3" organic latex comfort layer
• 8" encased coils with edge support (wrapped in organic cotton fabric)
• organic cotton batting + bottom encasement (organic cotton & cotton fill + solid brass zipper)
Firmness choices:
–Latex (extra plush, plush, medium, cushion firm and firm)
–Microcoil (extra plush, plush, medium and cushion firm) [/indent]
[/indent]

[indent]((11" +) EOS CLASSIC (8"support coils + 1 of the 3" comfort layers)
• Base mattress alternative of the above. [/indent]

Both options are customizable on either side of the mattress …as you say, the best solution for sleepers who vary in BMI and sleeping position is to go with a side by side layering. You are going definitely into the right direction with a firmer side for your wife, as you have a high BMI and need for some cushioning with your side sleeping, and if budget is not an issue, I’d probably opt for the Pillowtop version between the two EOC’s you are considering. (This being said the 11" can work as well but the 14:" + would give you more choices.) as far as the feel, need, and… personal preference goes. Because of the need to fine-tune with sleeper differences in mind I’d probably go for the EOC, and try to test it several times (different days if possible) before deciding to go with the microcoil option they have available… with EOC you should be able to fine-tune and exchange layers with their many offerings of X- plush, plush, medium, firm, and extra firm to get the right fit for both sides sleeping styles and BMIs. Either way… all your choices are between good and good which is the best position to be in. :).

Let us know what mattress is the final winner in your “sleep well” contest.

Phoenix

Thanks so much, Phoenix.

FYI, my wife is 5’2" and 140 lb. I’m 5’8", 230 lb. Different needs.

My wife actually preferred the all-wool comfort player Vispring Devonshire. For me, it supports my spine, but I’d need something softer for my shoulder. I have also read about less than stellar support from Vispring when there IS a problem. While the workmanship of Vispring is no doubt quite high, getting a great feeling mattress seems more of a crapshoot. But maybe a soft topper?

We can certainly do the EOS Pillowtop, but getting one firm enough for her, while getting one both supportive enough at my hips so my spine is aligned while providing enough sink at the shoulder is tricky. I think I tried a soft/medium/firm set of layers and my hips sunk in a bit too much, although it was fine for my shoulders. The Classic soft/firm was good for my spine, but did not quite allow my shoulder to sink in enough.

So I haven’t found my Goldilocks ‘just right’ yet. I’m going into a
NP company store tomorrow to try some new options.

Jeff

Jeff,
What did they say about the base coil options? Is there a third firmness?

In terms of the latex, if you love it, you can always buy a new layer since it is a zip off top. From our experience with latex when there were body impressions there was no visible compression of the latex. Something stiff across the top wouldn’t show anything. You could only feel it when you were laying on it.

Looking at your weight and height I highly suggest trying two layers of the medium microcoil. Try it on both the plush and the firm base and see if that gives you the support you need. Hopefully the corporate store will have two medium microcoils. Unfortunatly ours did not.

They don’t have two medium microcoils. They have one soft and one medium. We’ll try them, but they don’t push them because some complain they can feel the coils when lying on the bed. I’ll bring up what you say about the latex.

Regarding the support coils, it’s only firm or plush. I was mistaken thinking there was a third.

Interesting! I don’t feel them and neither does my husband. Also if you do a search on here for Naturepedic there is another poster who is the one that told me about the medium microcoils and how wonderful they were. He has had his mattress a longer time and really loves the medium microcoils.