I'm Baaaack! Naturepedic EOS Classic or Pillowtop vs Vispring Coronet

We had the 8" Nu-Lex.

It comes with a wool batting case that is covered in knit cotton. We unzipped the top, kept the bottom and sides, put both into a 4 sided bed bug cover (to hold them all together) and then put a Denali Down Under wool mattress pad on top. It made the mattress much softer than it was with the wool batting pad that came with the mattress.

We bought the mattress pad a long time ago (maybe 2003) and at that time it had a full bed skirt instead of straps. We washed it many times (a couple of times a year) and it held up really well. I still have it even though with this mattress purchase we moved to two twinXL beds due to having gotten adjustable bases. It is a king size so not being used but it is too good to just throw out so it sits in my linen closet.

Actually we may have the Supreme because that has the fitted skirt.

Give Naturepedic a call tomorrow and check on the base coil options. My understanding is the options on their web site, at least in the no latex option, were describing a combination of base, and two upper levels but the actual components weren’t specified.

Will do

Hi again -

I’m going to a company store. I also talked to corporate. They both independently suggested finding a combination of the Pillowtop. Neither love the microcoils other than for those who have a latex allergy. But the local Naturepedic store rep suggested may trying a set of medium microcoils inbetween the lower firm layer and a medium level latex top layer.

Regarding their warranty of getting a latex layer that is too sunken in, the corporate person said that they’re not too strict about. They ask that someone who has an issue unzip the quilted top layer and put something stiff across the surface of the latex layer and photograph it. If it shows an indentation, they’re fine enough with that proof to replace it.

Anyway, we’re going to go to the corporate store tomorrow to try out different options for the Pillowtop for us.

Jeff

Hi AnalogJ/Jeff.

Great to have you back! :slight_smile:

Good to hear that you are happy with the decision you made 6 years ago and all the help you got from our mattress forum. Too bad that started to breakdown (probably from the wear and tear that comes with high BMI sleepers) but I am glad to see that you are ready to upgrade and looking at some good mattress options. I am seeing that you are making good headway with your choice and getting some input from our subscribers that sleep on one of the options you are considering.
You seem to be almost ready to pull the trigger so so it may be a good time to throw a few cents worth of reinforcement opinions.

(9.8") Vispring Coronet … Vi-Spring certainly makes some exceptional hand-built and tufted mattresses that use high-quality materials and components (pocket coils and natural fibers) but as you probably know they are in a much more premium budget range than many other mattresses that also use natural materials. With this option, it’s good that you can customize comfort/support before the purchase according to your personal sleep preferences and statistics. The downside of it is that if the match does not turn out as well as you are hoping for any of the sleepers you don’t have alternative options.

Layers that are closer to the top sleeping surface will have the greatest impact upon comfort and sleeping temperature (including any mattress pad, sheets, and linen). I am not sure if you came across some of our posts that discuss temperature regulations issues, but you can read more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at leastpost #29 about temperature regulation and mattress microclimate to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful. You may also be interested in the information in .

The natural fibers in all the options you are looking at, allow for airflow and humidity control which translates into better temperature regulation, as does the type of ticking (cover) used: such as wool, silk, cotton or viscose or even some of the more breathable synthetics which wick away moisture and ventilate better and humidity control is a key part of temperature control.

If your wife is mainly a prone sleeper, she’d need the thinnest comfort layer … back sleeping is in the middle, and side sleepers like you need the thickest comfort layer. It is rare that anyone … even a side sleeper … would need more than 4" in a comfort layer. I’d recommend that you weigh your comfort/support choices well as stomach sleeping is a common source of back issues as stomach sleepers tend to sleep in a “swayback” position, especially if their comfort layer is more than an inch (or at most two) or if their support layer is too soft. You don’t mention your wife’s BMI but If there is a large disparity between your weights, that would be another factor to consider in choosing a mattress that will be both comfortable and durable for years to come.

EOS mattresses come in 2 configurations:

[indent](14" +) EOS PILLOWTOP (8"support coils + 2 of the 3" comfort layers)

[indent](Detachable zippered pillowtop
• quilt (organic cotton & wool batting)
• 3" organic Dunlop latex comfort layer
Base mattress
• 3" organic latex comfort layer
• 8" encased coils with edge support (wrapped in organic cotton fabric)
• organic cotton batting + bottom encasement (organic cotton & cotton fill + solid brass zipper)
Firmness choices:
–Latex (extra plush, plush, medium, cushion firm and firm)
–Microcoil (extra plush, plush, medium and cushion firm) [/indent]
[/indent]

[indent]((11" +) EOS CLASSIC (8"support coils + 1 of the 3" comfort layers)
• Base mattress alternative of the above. [/indent]

Both options are customizable on either side of the mattress …as you say, the best solution for sleepers who vary in BMI and sleeping position is to go with a side by side layering. You are going definitely into the right direction with a firmer side for your wife, as you have a high BMI and need for some cushioning with your side sleeping, and if budget is not an issue, I’d probably opt for the Pillowtop version between the two EOC’s you are considering. (This being said the 11" can work as well but the 14:" + would give you more choices.) as far as the feel, need, and… personal preference goes. Because of the need to fine-tune with sleeper differences in mind I’d probably go for the EOC, and try to test it several times (different days if possible) before deciding to go with the microcoil option they have available… with EOC you should be able to fine-tune and exchange layers with their many offerings of X- plush, plush, medium, firm, and extra firm to get the right fit for both sides sleeping styles and BMIs. Either way… all your choices are between good and good which is the best position to be in. :).

Let us know what mattress is the final winner in your “sleep well” contest.

Phoenix

Thanks so much, Phoenix.

FYI, my wife is 5’2" and 140 lb. I’m 5’8", 230 lb. Different needs.

My wife actually preferred the all-wool comfort player Vispring Devonshire. For me, it supports my spine, but I’d need something softer for my shoulder. I have also read about less than stellar support from Vispring when there IS a problem. While the workmanship of Vispring is no doubt quite high, getting a great feeling mattress seems more of a crapshoot. But maybe a soft topper?

We can certainly do the EOS Pillowtop, but getting one firm enough for her, while getting one both supportive enough at my hips so my spine is aligned while providing enough sink at the shoulder is tricky. I think I tried a soft/medium/firm set of layers and my hips sunk in a bit too much, although it was fine for my shoulders. The Classic soft/firm was good for my spine, but did not quite allow my shoulder to sink in enough.

So I haven’t found my Goldilocks ‘just right’ yet. I’m going into a
NP company store tomorrow to try some new options.

Jeff

Jeff,
What did they say about the base coil options? Is there a third firmness?

In terms of the latex, if you love it, you can always buy a new layer since it is a zip off top. From our experience with latex when there were body impressions there was no visible compression of the latex. Something stiff across the top wouldn’t show anything. You could only feel it when you were laying on it.

Looking at your weight and height I highly suggest trying two layers of the medium microcoil. Try it on both the plush and the firm base and see if that gives you the support you need. Hopefully the corporate store will have two medium microcoils. Unfortunatly ours did not.

They don’t have two medium microcoils. They have one soft and one medium. We’ll try them, but they don’t push them because some complain they can feel the coils when lying on the bed. I’ll bring up what you say about the latex.

Regarding the support coils, it’s only firm or plush. I was mistaken thinking there was a third.

Interesting! I don’t feel them and neither does my husband. Also if you do a search on here for Naturepedic there is another poster who is the one that told me about the medium microcoils and how wonderful they were. He has had his mattress a longer time and really loves the medium microcoils.

Well…We can’ certainly consider them. Unfortunately, they just have one set of medium and one set of firm at the company store. Moreover, I’m not sure how it would be to have the top comfort level of the bed be half microcoils (her side) and half latex (my side) if we were to go that way. You like the plush support layer. Neither the person at the company store nor the rep at the company itself recommended the plush for me.

But we’ll try various things and see what happens.

So I went to the company store in Wellesley, MA. We tried a layer of medium latex over medium microcoils over a firm support coil layer. It felt wiggly and jiggly, wobbling while we were individually on it. Given our current Green Sleep latex over firm coils bed, the microcoils were just too much of a change, particularly since vibration control is important to us as well, as the latex does that better than coils for the comfort layer.

We also tried latex soft/medium/firm and soft/firm/firm. The former was probably best for me, while the latter was the one my wife liked the best. We also tried a couple of Halcyon beds, one was too plush, and the next too firm (and that wasn’t even the firmest of the mattresses). My own body just seemed to be the most relaxed on the soft/medium/firm. We didn’t try the plush. The EOS Classic firm/plush was too plush when we were at the other store.

In any event, we’re planning to go back to the other store (The Organic Mattress) after we get back from a vacation we have planned for next week. We may try a Vispring again just to be sure, but I have a strong feeling that we’ll be going with a Naturepedic Pillowtop.

Congratulations on finding something you both like!

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for the additional information. Good to know! :wink: It sounds like there is enough of a variable between you and your wife’s preferences and BMIs to more seriously consider side by side layering (as mentioned above).

I hope you had good luck with your mattress testing yesterday. Definitely I am looking forward to any reporting you may have a chance to share.
I see there are quite a few interested eyes on your story and also helpful interactions… :woohoo:

Phoenix

Marshmallowforme, I just ordered the firm coils with medium microcoils from naturepedic(EOS classic) 12". I also have a 15" zippered mattress cover so I guess I could make the pillowtop version if I wanted. I could just get another set of the medium microcoils from naturepedic and i would be set. I’m a combo sleeper(all positions) 6’ 230lbs do you think when im on my stomach my lower back will overarch? Do you or your husband sleep on your stomach? I also seperately ordered the X-firm support coils just in case my back overarches while on my stomach. I also have multiple latex(Dunlop and talalay I can try in the mattress just in case I don’t like the microcoils. Thanks

Hi Mr. Yabo
Congratulations on buying a new mattress. As far as I know there are only plush and firm support coils so I’m a little confused as to the x-firm support coils.

In terms of sleeping. We are both side sleepers with my husband sometimes on his back. So it is hard to say about stomach over arching. I think a firm base coil with the medium microcoil should be pretty firm but comfortable.

I would be interested to know if you have your arm falling asleep when you are on your side in this configuration. I can’t remember if this was a problem with the classic but with two layer of microcoils we don’t have any issues with a pressure point on my shoulder putting my arm to sleep.

I probably should look to see if I recorded my thoughts on the classic somewhere here on this forum.

Thank you, Marshmallowforme. The extra firm support coils are new. If my back doesn’t overarch with the 1 set of microcoils then I will try the 2 sets of medium microcoils stacked on top of one another and let you know:)

a little late to the conversation, but for what it’s worth i have eos classic with plush coils and medium microcoils. 4 years in, still love it. no cratering, no bottoming out of microcoils, sleeps super cool. happy as can be. money well spent. interesting how all our varying bodies change the perception of support. i found the microcoils plusher, yet more supportive than any of the latex configs i tried. also for my shape/size didn’t like the pillowtop… too much mattress for no added comfort (for me). for more detailed writeups of my naturepedic eval, search my username and see old posts. i’m un-curvy, 6’0", 165#

That’s very interesting deuxcv. Marshmallowforme, do you have your EOS pillowtop on an adjustable base? I have 2 twin xl’s on adjustable bases(split king) so I’m not worried about motion transfer. I’m thinking though that because of my adjustable base I may prefer the single set of microcoils like deuxcv. I’ve had everything from 11"-16" mattresses on the adjustable bases and I’ve noticed that the 11-13" mattresses seem to conform better to the adjustable base when fully articulated than the 14"+ mattresses. Adjustable base compatibility is very important to me as I can’t go back to not using an adjustable base(it’s way too comfortable! lol). I will still try the 2 sets of microcoils stacked on 1 another to see if I really like the feel better but for several reasons(for me) I will probably end up with the 1 set microcoil setup(I will also try with 1-2" of talalay on top of the microcoils).

We have tried both the Classic (1 layer of microcoil) and the Pillowtop (2 layers of microcoils) on the adjustable bases. Both are fantastic with it. I can say that it gives much better back support when used in the recliner type position than my old 100% latex mattress.

We are both heavier than Deuxcv at 200 and 230 lbs. For me a single layer of soft microcoil seemed to bottom out at my shoulder into the base coil. For a single layer I prefered the medium microcoil. My husband definitely like the two layer of soft microcoil to get him to the soft bed he likes. For me I maybe could have gone with the single layer of medium microcoil but wanted two try the two layers of microcoils and once I did I couldn’t think of a reason to go back to the single layer.

The orginal poster tried putting latex on top of the microcoil and said it slid around too much. I can say that two layer of microcoils do not slide around at all and are extremely comfortable.

To shorten the adjustable bases we had one that you could order shorter legs for so did that. The other one I took the legs to a metal machine shop and had them cut down. This makes the pillow top not so high off the floor. We have two different brands of adjustable bases because on one the legs go up much further but have more of a bend at the knee with is great for lounging in bed. On mine the leg raises as a platform and I use it to elevage my legs slightly when sleeping on my side to help align my spine.

I agree on the adjustable bases. I will never have anything else and use it every day. However my husband seldom uses his and prefers to stack up pillows old style.

If you are tall be aware that Naturepedic does not make 80" twinXL mattresses. The first one they sent was 75" (twin size but labeled as a twinXL). They then replaced it but with 77"-78" mattresses. At this point I gave up as juggling mattresses for donation and unpacking new ones is not easy. But it is a nightly frustration to me because I have to accomodate the short length by sleeping diagonal on the bed. We also attached the headboard to the wall and have pulled the bed frames away from the headboard so the pillow can overlap at the head and give us some more foot room. But this means my shoulder is on the perimeter coils which are stiffer. Luckily the two layers of microcoils pretty much obscures this fact. However my pillow and head are often just off the edge of the bed.

If they sold a fullXL I would upgrade to that to try and get a proper length mattress of 80". But since they don’t my only option is two queen beds and we don’t have room for that in our bedroom.