Im buying a 4 layer latex mattress (12") and have a solid platform bed (no spacing or slots). Do I need something to help with ventilation/mold?

I know Savvyrest sells a coconut pad to help with ventilation but I dont know if its necessary. Also, I’m looking at buying from Foam Sweet Foam/Urban Green Mattress. It looks like there is only 10 reviews for SFS but none for Urban Green Mattress - has anyone ordered from them? They seem to have the best warranty at 30 years (against a 1/2 " indents).

From my experience: no!

I have a solid platform. I have a latex bed. Just about every company I spoke to said it’s unnecessary except for Savvy Rest. In my stupidity i bought the coir anyway thinking it would be a good idea to protect against possible mold which I actually have never had using this platform bed with both a coil mattress or a Tempurpedic before I got this latex. This platform bed is about 50 years old – passed on across generations… The coir I received was a lumpy and uneven mess. it was about the worst night sleep ever. My DH had to remove it in the wee hours of the morning during the first night.

Savvy Rest was willing to take it back. But i kept them. I ended up using them as under rugs for rubber mats that i use for a standing desk. As an under rug for a rubber mat I will give them 5 stars.

Thanks so much! Yeah I found it strange that Savvyrest was the only mentioning needing an extra pad for air circulation!

Hi soccerlover17,

It would depend to some degree on the type of support system you have under a mattress and any additional risk factors that are in your environment. They certainly wouldn’t be necessary with a slatted foundation or platform bed under the mattress but if you have a solid surface support system that doesn’t provide any ventilation underneath the mattress it can add to the risk of developing mold or mildew in the mattress although in most cases it would still be fine (see post #10 here).

Urban Green is just the new website for Foam Sweet Foam and their mattresses on the Urban Green site are the same. A forum search on foamsweetfoam or on FSF or a specific term site search on Foam Sweet Foam (you can just click the links) will bring up many more comments and feedback about them.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

I would also keep in mind that the length of a warranty of a mattress has very little to do with the useful life of a mattress and how long it may be before you need to replace it. Warranties only cover defects in a mattress and not the gradual (or often rapid in the case of lower quality materials) loss of comfort and support that is the main reason people will need to replace their mattress. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

Component mattresses also have some advantages because they allow you to “fine tune” the comfort or support of a mattress both before a purchase and after a purchase (either by rearranging layers or exchanging layers or components) and if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually one of the softer upper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time you can just replace a single layer or component instead of replacing the whole mattress.

As you probably know from your reading here Foam Sweet Foam is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and you are certainly looking in a great direction.

Phoenix

Thanks for the input!

Is there a benefit of having the 4 layers vs 3 layers (3"each)? I have a solid platform bed and looking for something medium firmness and was thinking about getting (top to bottom) 3 layers: medium talalay, medium dunlop, firm dunlop OR 4 layers: medium talalay, medium dunlop, firm dunlop and xfirm dunlop. I am 5’3, 125 lbs (side, stomach, and back sleeper) and my bf is 5’11" 175 lbs (side and stomac sleeper). So, I’m looking for something mid firmness w a little give/conforming when I’m on my side and med firm when on my back and stomach. Since I do have a solid platform, I’m not sure if its necessary to add another layer just to add the xfirm layer when my the platform may already serve the same function. Will 4 layers last longer?

Hi soccerlover17,

There is more about the pros and cons of having more layers in post #2 here and there is also more about the effect of thickness (more layers would make a thicker mattress) in post #14 here.

I would always keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

4 layers of latex wouldn’t be any more durable than 3 layers if they are both using the same materials.

Phoenix