In need of a new Mattress

I’m looking at different options and was lead here to aid in my search. Currently I’m sleeping on a Serta Pillow top which I’ve had for 3 years now. The pillow top is completely shot at this point and looking for something new as both my wife and I have extreme troubles just getting sleep. We are trying to find something around the 4-600$ range as we do have 2 children we try to spend most of our money on. We have decided to take a try with the memory form type beds. On the higher end of the range we was contemplating the Tuft N Needle 10 inch. On the lower end we was looking at Brentwoods 13 inch Gel top (Amazon.com) or something along them lines/prices. I’m 6’ 1" and 370 pounds, my wife is 4’ 11" and 140 pounds so there’s a big difference there. We are trying to find something that will be suitable for both of us. She prefers a little firmer and I prefer a medium. Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcomed.

Hi danestock,

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (there is a longer version and a shorter version at the end) which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I would be very cautious about mattresses that are in lower budget ranges because people that are in much higher weight ranges will need more durable materials (which are generally more costly) and in many cases the quality and durability of the materials of the mattresses in your budget range may not be suitable for your weight. Many low end mattresses may only last you months before they start to soften, break down and start to sag prematurely under higher weight body weights and you may cross the thresholds from sleeping well on a mattress to sleeping “OK” to tolerating a mattress to finally deciding to replace it much too quickly relative to the price you paid even in lower budget mattresses. In some cases if the mattress is already on the edge of being too soft for a particular person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) when it is new then even the initial break in period (usually from 30 - 90 days) may take you over the edge of the comfort/support range that would be suitable for you (see post #2 here) even though this is more of a suitability issue (choosing a mattress that is too soft) than a durability issue.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between the different mattresses you are considering.

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that can help those that are in higher weight ranges choose a mattress that is suitable for their body type and weight range.

Some of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of are listed in post #4 here and in posts #3 and #4 here.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better local options or possibilities I’m aware of.

You can see some comments about the Brentwood Mattress in posts #31 and #32 here and the rest of the topic as well and as you can see either the shipping weight is very wrong or the specs they provide are completely wrong. Either way though … it uses 3" of 3 lb memory foam which I would consider to be a weak link in the mattress and I would avoid lower density memory foam completely … especially in your weight range.

The Tuft & Needle isn’t a memory foam mattress and you can see the details of the materials they use in posts #2 and #6 here). While their base layer is a little lower density than I would generally suggest in your weight range (I would generally suggest 2 lb polyfoam for your weight), it has much more durable comfort layers which are generally the weakest link of a mattress and would be a more durable choice than the Brentwood and the slightly lower density support core may be a good budget compromise because it’s more difficult to find a mattress that uses the most durable materials in your budget range.

Phoenix

My zip is 43725. Based on the information you said even though tuft isnt quite a strong as what you would recommend do you think it would still be a plausible option? Based on my situation what would be some others that you would suggest from the information you do know. I have extra money to spend on one if need be just trying to avoid it if I can.

I do not think you said the size bedding you were looking for, but if is a king one thing you may consider is a split king option (two twin xls side by side). I am sort of In a similar situation as you. Though not quite as heavy, I am a heavy guy coming off a twenty year old pillow top innerspring. I went with a split king T & N arrangement, but not sure I am going to keep it. This thing is firm - way too hard for me. Getting better (only had it about a week) but still very firm and I like a soft mattress. However, with a split king you could actually do two all together different mattresses to accommodate preferences (just get same depth, i.e. 10") And then if one was to wear out or sag sooner only one to replace. The tuft was in the best price point I saw, and frankly, right now it seems to me like it would last forever. Like sleeping on thick foam carpet floor for me.

I was worried about the divide between the two mattresses but have not found that to be very noticeable.

I am not as constrained budget wise as you, and one mattress I am seriously considering right now is one sold at The Dump. It is an HD (guess means Heavy Duty) by Paramount bedding. Supposedly rated to hold up to 400+ pounds on each side and has a twenty year non-pro-rated warranty. I looked at twin xl, but think the king was around $1800. I have tested it and is much more like the pillow top I was used to.

Hi Basil,

There isn’t a specific forum list for the Cambridge, OH area but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked in my last reply) are in the the list that covers the area in and around Columbus, OH in post #2 here. Some of the Amish manufacturers would probably be well worth a visit.

Given your budget restraints … it would be a reasonable compromise yes because the density of the base layer is “close” to the minimum density I would suggest for your higher weight and it uses high quality materials in the upper layers which are usually the weakest link of a mattress. It would be a more durable choice than most of the other options you have in your budget range.

I don’t keep a list of the specifics of all the mattresses that are mentioned on the site (it would be more than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) so I can help you narrow down your choices but choosing a mattress that meets the general durability criteria that you would do best with along with your preferences for different materials would be part of the research that you would need to do.

I can’t speak to whether any of them would be a good choice for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or which type of material or type of mattress you prefer to sleep on … and if you can’t test a mattress in person then a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart will be your best source of guidance about the suitability of the options they have available. In terms of the quality and durability of the materials … off the top of my head (and I may be missing some) a few of the lower budget mattresses that are in the posts I linked that do meet the minimum foam quality/density guidelines I suggested and are either in or just above your budget range (assuming you are looking for a queen size) include …

Dreamfoam 12 in 1 customizable which uses 2 lb polyfoam for all three layers. My caution here would be about the suitability of having a soft layer somewhere in the mix at your weight not about the durability of the materials.

Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex which has a 100% natural Dunlop comfort layer which has the option to choose different firmness levels and uses a 2 lb base foam but it’s above your $600 budget even with the additional 10% discount that goes with ordering from their site.

Christeli Stockholm This only has 2" of 5.3 lb memory foam which may not be enough to provide good comfort/pressure relief (again you would need to talk with them) and I would also confirm the density of the base layer which may be a lower density than their other mattresses and isn’t listed on the site.

Christeli Versailles This has 3" of 5.3 lb memory foam which would be a little better but again you would need to talk with them about the suitability of this mattress. It would be similar to the Tempurpedic Contour Supreme which you could test locally. It uses a 2 lb base layer.

Ikea Myrbacka This uses synthetic latex over a 2.2 lb polyfoam base but I would make sure you test this carefully to make sure it’s a suitable “match” for you because they don’t have a return policy and if you need to exchange it there may not be another mattress that is suitable to exchange for.

SleepEZ Roma which is a latex mattress (quilted with polyfoam) that has a different firmness level on each side so you would have the choice of a softer or a firmer mattress but it wold also be a little above your budget range even with the additional 5% discount for your membership here.

Arizona Premium’s Latex/polyfoam hybrids here and here and here. I would make sure you confirm the density of the base layer for the one that don’t include it in the description. All of these use 100% natural Dunlop in the comfort layer and the two that list the deisnty use a 2 lb polyfoam core. These are also a little above your budget range even with the additional 5% discount for your membership here and they also have some additional shipping costs.

Phoenix

ADDED: I took a quick look around the Cambridge, OH area and the better options or possibilities I could see in the area and the manufacturers they carry that I would focus on (subject to making sure you can find out the specifics of the materials and components in their mattresses) include …

http://www.homedecor1.com/ Cambridge, OH. Imperial Bedding

http://byesvillefurniture.com/home/2713485 Byesville, OH. Restonic, Imperial

https://www.sleepoutfitters.com/ Zanesville, OH. Dormeo

http://www.coconisfurniture.com/ South Zanesville, OH. Restonic

Mattress Warehouse New Philadelphia, Marietta, OH. Dormeo

Rainbow Bedding Sugar Creek, OH. Local factory direct manufacturer. They make high quality innerspring mattresses of various types including latex with good value. They are in Amish country and don’t have a website but would well be worth investigating based on a long conversation I had with them about their mattresses. See this thread for some feedback and the attachment in post #3 here for more specific details about their mattresses.

Upland Industries Phone 330-852-2113 Sugarcreek, OH. Local manufacturer also in Amish country. Another small manufacturer that I have had a long conversation with that has no web presence and who makes mostly innerspring and polyfoam cores with various materials on top including latex. They only sell through retailers however a phone call will give you an outlet that carries them

http://www.mattressone.net/products/ Heath, OH. Paramount.

https://www.originalmattress.com/ Heath, OH. Regional factory direct manufacturer that makes a range of mattresses including memory foam, a latex hybrid, and traditional innersprings (including two sided) that use good quality materials and have some good value.

http://mattressmax.biz/ Vienna, WV. Savvy Rest (component latex mattress), Englander, Dutch Craft, King Koil and White Dove

We have decided to try out the Tuft and Needle as a compromise. Especially since my weight is going down anyhow so should be a little easier on the bed. My next question is how do I ask for the discount online or do I have to call and order to get it from Tuft?

Hi danestock,

That sounds like a good plan … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

For the discount all you need to do is call or email them to let them know your are a member of the forum and they will credit you with the discount within 5 - 8 days of your purchase on the card that you used to pay for the mattress.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thanks for the input I will put in for the order now since all I have to do is email them about the discount. I will try to remember to update on things from time to time especially during the first 30 days. This will be the first time of us using anything outside of a coil bed (one with a pillow top)

I’m a similar weight and was wondering how you liked the Tuft and Needle so far.

Thanks!