In search of a topper — am I looking for a unicorn?

Looking to add a topper to our 6-year-old Urban Mattress mattress. We love the bed, but as we age and get more aches and pains, we’ve decided we need some added plushness. I’m 61, female, with rheumatoid arthritis and associated occasional hip issues: husband is same age with back pain. Both average height/weight, both side sleepers, though hubby will occasionally sleep on his back.

Been searching the forums and websites for our best solution. Think we would like talalay latex, but also would like an added layer of cushioning, so to speak. So like a latex layer with a “pillow top” layer. Does this even make sense? Does something like that exist without have to get two separate toppers?

I should add that at one point we got a memory foam topper (from Costco) that I hated the feel of!

Just so confused over all the choices, not sure where to start, and not even sure if there’s anyplace local where we could try different decent-quality latex toppers (we’re in northern VA), and so hate to take a gamble with shopping online.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

1 Like

I am just another user here. I am older than you, as is my husband. He also is a side sleeper and a few years ago I got him a 2" soft talalay topper from SleepEZ. It works great. I don’t know if you would want 3", but that might be enough cushion for you.

1 Like

Hi kardut, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

You do not say which model of urban mattress you have, but any good mattress will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Sorry to hear of your aches and pains on your current set up…as you are both ‘average sized’ but have some physical conditions like your RA, an extra ‘plush’ layer could be the solution BUT…you want to make sure it’s not so soft you ‘bottom out’ on the firmer layers below, which can also cause pain and even alignment issues.

On a good supportive mattress, your profile while laying down, from behind, should be the same as when you stand. Any excessive ‘sinking in’ can cause issues; it’s counterintuitive, but it’s possible you need a firmer comfort layer rather than softer, depending on your sleep profile. As far as latex toppers, keep in mind the types - Talalay is springier or bouncier than Dunlop (The usual comparison is angel food cake vs. pound cake).

A couple of the Trusted Members of the site are in Virginia - CozyPure in Norfolk and Richmond Bedding in Richmond - but many of the other trusted members carry a variety of latex toppers of varying firmnesses and thicknesses, and have all been vetted for quality, transparency in construction with great customer assistance and generous return and exchange policies.

If you can provide your and your husbands’ Stats and the Urban Mattress model you have, we may be able to further assess what type of topper may assist with your comfort on your current bed.

~ Basilio

1 Like

Thank you, Basilio! We have the UM Silver Lake plush mattress…I’m 5’6" and about 165#, hubby is 5’10" and about 170#. Although it’s a plush model, I feel like I’m laying on top of the mattress, and feel majority of pressure is on my hips and, secondarily, shoulders. Really, the thing that annoys me most about the mattress is the quilting…I’m a bit of a princess-and-a-pea sleeper, and I find that I have to place my feet just so on the mattress so that they rest in one of the tufted valleys, if that makes sense!

I’ve always slept best in pillowtop type mattresses that offer support yet let me sink into them and somewhat envelope me.Hence why I was wondering if there’s a way I could combine both the support of latex with a soft covering. But having never experienced a latex mattress, I’m not even sure that latex is the solution!