In search of FIRM mattress

The wife’s on a mission to get a new mattress and soon, ours has been bad for a while, but she’s finally fed up with it. I don’t know what our old one is off hand, King something, label is hard to read.

We have all of 2 mattress stores in town (Findlay, OH) and the one has a going out of business sale every month, so we stayed away from them. Went to the other one, tried 5 or 6 different ones mostly beautyrest, one ¿restonic? Most were too soft, 1 was firm enough and comfortable, but transferred way too much movement. The one she really liked, but I felt hesitant against for some reason was the BeautyRest Black. Was $1649 for the set before taxes. She was ready to order it on the spot, as the sales lady said they put in the order tomorrow morning before they open, so if we didn’t do it today we’ll have to wait until next week. I was able to somehow talk the wife into thinking about it a bit more. After getting home and reading reviews I don’t think I want to go with this one, but we need to get something soon.

I’m going to try convincing her into checking out a ComfortAire, as they sound good in theory being able to adjust the support. She was first against these because of the price, but they will be about the same as the BeautyRest Black. So then she said she doesn’t want an air mattress because she hated them when camping :unsure:

Any recommendations?

• Firmer the better
  • Quality and durability are more important than price, as long it’s not too high
  • We are not small, I’m 6’4" 300lb and not graceful
  • I sweat a lot, so breathability should be factored in too

Thanks in advance

Hi Argus McJohnsten,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses but I would avoid all the major brands along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality and durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here).

You can see my comments about airbeds in this article. While any mattress may be a good choice for some people … in general terms I would look for other options.

[quote]Any recommendations?

Firmer the better
Quality and durability are more important than price, as long it's not too high

We are not small, I'm 6'4" 300lb and not graceful
I sweat a lot, so breathability should be factored in too[/quote]

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Outside of the information in the mattress shopping tutorial (which is the first place I would begin your research) … there is also more information and guidelines for those that are in higher weight ranges in post #3 here and the posts it links to that will be helpful. The process of choosing a mattress for higher weight ranges would be exactly the same as for anyone else except those that are in higher weight ranges will generally need firmer mattresses and more durable materials than those that are in lighter weight ranges.

There is more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here that can help you choose the combination of materials and components and the types of mattresses that will have the best chance of keeping you in a temperature range that you are comfortable with.

Your best chance of success will be to follow all the steps in the tutorial one at a time. When you get to step 3 then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are in a reasonable driving distance (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here for the area within about a 100 mile radius around Toledo.

Phoenix

Thank you. I did look through the shopping tutorial, but a lot of it seemed to go over my head. I do plan on going to Banner Mattress & Furniture, as well as Furniture Row (both in Toledo from one of your links) on Thursday.

While I was clicking around on some different stuff here, I saw the Restonic name pop up a couple times. They had that at Crane’s Mattress Store (Findlay, OH [where we went today]) and they were the worst for us. The sales lady acted very unsurprised by this and said they are not a very good seller, but is the 2nd best company, according to the manager.

Hi Argus McJohnsten,

I have no idea how anyone could rate a particular company that makes many mattresses as “the second best company” and this would make no sense to me. “Second best in whose opinion and by what criteria?” would be my question back to anyone that told me this.

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and how well you will sleep on it and most companies make many mattresses some of which may be a good “match” for you and some that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on but outside of PPP a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (see post #5 here). The reason that I often list Restonic as a “possibility” in the many lists around the forum is because they tend to be more transparent about the type and quality of the materials inside their mattresses (see this article) but no matter which mattress you buy or how comfortable or how suitable it may be for you if you can’t confirm the quality and durability of the materials inside it (see this article) I would avoid it.

Phoenix

I think it would be well worth your effort to make the drive to Columbus to check out The Original Mattress Factory. If nothing else their business model is based on simple and straightforward. I compare it to Chipotle: they offer a small selection of decent items that you can build up as you please into a product that suits you. Once you see it, it makes sense.

And their prices and policies are fair.

Anyway, even if you don’t/can’t buy from them it will help you put the traditional retailers in Findlay, and their products, into some perspective.

Hi adam1991,

I would certainly agree with your thoughts about The Original Mattress Factory and the quality and value of their mattresses and the one in the list I linked in Marion, OH would be even closer than a trip to Columbus.

Phoenix

Hi Argus,

Let me start by saying I am no expert. All I think I know, I learned from this website in the last few weeks. So I wouldn’t dream of recommending anything specific for anyone.

That being said, you mentioned the firmer the mattress the better, and I will just give you a link to look at something else. If interested, you can contact them and get more info.

Just a couple of things first.
-The company is in Canada and you would not be able to try it first. Cost of shipping may be prohibitive as well. Prices are in Canadian $, so would be cheaper for you.
-Not that my personal feelings on it mean anything to anyone, but to me this felt like maybe laying some thin foam or a thicker blanket on the floor and laying on it. In other words, REALLY firm. Almost literally, Rock Hard.

https://www.tangerinefoam.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1240

I got my new mattress last week after driving myself crazy (after reading through this website and learning about all the crap out there) , but after a few days I have no complaints. Hopefully I found the right one for me and I hope you eventually find the right one for you.