Info on Ultimate Dreams

Hello,

Let me give a little information about myself. I have been married for just under 8 years. My wife and I purchased a innerspring mattress just after we were married. It is far past time for a new mattress. The wells in our current mattress are almost deep enough to make a bunker out of.

We live a Idaho so we do not have a lot of choices or ability to test out different mattresses. While reading on the forums here I came across the Ultimate Dreams mattress. I have a few questions about it though, since there is not a lot of information on it. I know the amazon storefront is a placeholder for a new website. What kind of warranty do they have? Do they have a trial period? I have looked at mattressinabox (which I know is not liked here) and I really like their warranty and trail policy.

This will be my first foray into anything outside innerspring, and it is kinda scary. I have been reading on this site for about a month, and I appreciate all the information here.

Thanks for the help.

Hey rhuntsman21,

I feel your pain and just went through the same kinds of questions you are just starting to address. I actually started with the Ultimate Dreams all latex mattress @$1795 off the Amazon portal. Then I started looking for cost effective options that were similar. I came up with two: sleep ez factory (sleepez.com) and Arizona Premium Mattress Co (mattresses.net). All three companies are actually located in Arizona, so you would think your overall costs will be similar. In my case, I ended up going with the latter of the three, saving about $300 in the process. Your mileage may vary depending on what you’re after, but all three look to be a great value.

Not that warranties should be taken all that seriously (who actually uses them on a mattress?), but the Brooklyn Bedding (aka Ultimate Dreams) does feature a 10 year, whereas the other two feature a more industry-standard 20 (incl. 10 year non-proprated). I think all three offer similar trials for their comfor layers – which is more than likely the only part you’ll ever need to swap out.

Hopefully this sets you on a path to discovery that is useful in your endeavor! I’m sure Phoenix will have a good deal more to offer, but I thought I’d weigh in having just gone through all of this. Good luck to you! B)

Thank a ton for the great information. I will take a look at the other sites you recommended.

I am curious; You said you started with $1795 for the Ultimate Dream. Maybe I am looking at a different mattress. The one I am looking at is $700 for a queen. Are there other ones?

Edit: I am sorry. I just looked again at the amazon portal and saw that they do have one that is $1800 (the full latex). I am assuming this is the one you were looking at.

I have also been looking into getting a new mattress and this one in particular interested me. I may be making the jump here in a day or two once I clear it with the wife. However, to answer your question this is quoted directly from their Amazon storefront:

Q: What is your return policy?

A: As long as the mattress is in its original box we offer a 30 day 100% money back guarantee. We will even pay your shipping back. Once the mattress is out of the original packaging we do not offer any returns.

So by the looks of it, it appears there is no trial policy and I haven’t got a clue as far as warranty is concerned. But if you happen to buy this mattress, apparently if you mention that you are a member of this website you can get a free shredded latex pillow.

[quote=“rhuntsman21” post=13186]
Edit: I am sorry. I just looked again at the amazon portal and saw that they do have one that is $1800 (the full latex). I am assuming this is the one you were looking at.[/quote]

Yep, that’s the one! Actually, I see the mistake was mine in assuming you were looking at the same model that got me started on this wild goose chase. But it still serves as a good example of how you can start with one pretty decent idea and then let the learning adventure take you somewhere entirely else. In any case, I hope your own learning adventure leads you to a good and comfortable place! B)

You have to really scratch your head when they say this. Given that it’s a COMPRESSED mattress in the box which, once out of the box, expands DRAMATICALLY, there is simply no getting that horse back into the barn – not without a wood chipper and lots of space bags… :evil:

But in fairness, it seems like lots of mattress companies pull that same crapola… :angry:

Hi rhuntsman,

Just to add a little bit to S0L0’s great information.

The Brooklyn Bedding warranty is 10 years.

There are no returns on the Brooklyn bedding mattresses once you’ve opened them.

Some of the models on the Amazon site such as the EuroTop and their Total Latex mattress (as well as the new models they are now starting to roll out on their Brooklyn Bedding site) have a layer exchange option which means that you can exchange the comfort layer for a different softness/firmness level if your original choice is not quite right. The details of the layer exchange for the mattresses on the Amazon site is described here and for the mattresses on the Brooklyn Bedding site is described here. The Amazon site has 4 different latex or latex hybrid mattresses. The three hybrid models (a polyfoam base with a latex comfort layer) are the Ultra Plush, the Eurotop, and the Natural Latex (that uses wool and 100% natural Dunlop). The fourth is the Total Latex mattress which is all latex in both the comfort layer and the support core.

I’m not sure where you live in Idaho but there may be some retailers or manufacturers close to you that offer latex mattresses which could be useful as a reference point for testing at least. For example if you are close to Boise then post #2 here has some of the better local options I’m aware of including some that offer latex or latex hybrids. Post #4 here has a list in the Coeur d’Alene area.

A forum search on “Ultimate Dreams” (you can just click this) will bring up many more posts about them including feedback from many forum members.

@glockoma

All the manufacturing members of this site offer a 5% discount or a product bonus to the members of this forum (a forum “member” is anyone who has made at least one post here).

The mattresses on their Amazon site have a TMU bonus of a free shredded latex pillow. On the mattresses from the Brooklyn Bedding site members have a choice of either a 5% discount on the mattress or 2 free shredded latex pillows.

EDIT: To receive the forum discount on their Brooklyn Bedding line make sure you either call, email, or use their chat to get the discount information before your purchase.

Hope that helps.

Phoenix

Thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.

This is going to be a bit of a thread highjack, but since it is my thread…

I feel like my brain is going to explode. The more research I do the more confused I get about what I should be looking for. I really like the idea of memory foam for the why that it handles pressure and absorbs movement. I do not like that it traps heat. I understand the gel memory foam helps with this. On the other hand, the latex is not hot, seems like it will hold up a lot better in the long run, but it does not handle movement as well. I am not sure I will like the “springiness” of it. I just don’t know what to look for.

Phoenix, I live in Idaho Falls (83406) so both of those cities you mentioned are quite a ways away (4.5 hours to Boise, which is a lot closer than Coeur d’Alane). The only place that I know of in town is a small Denver Mattress company, which is big on tempurpedic. I think I will go over there and try out some of their matresses since from what I understand the UD mattress I am looking at is pretty close to the Lux.

What I think I would like to find is a mattresses that has a gel memory foam (gel for the heat, right?) comfort layer with a latex support layer. I do not want to go above $1500 for a queen set. Any ideas? I really am having a hard time figuring out what the different mattresses really are.

Thanks again for all the help. This site is great.

Hi rhuntsman21,

the key to deciding between memory foam and latex is to test both of them locally to see which you prefer. Memory foam is generally widely available (including Tempurpedic which is a bit slower recovery than other memory foams). Latex can sometimes be a little more difficult to find. going by the “theory” of the differences between them is not nearly as effective as trying them in person.

Gel memory foam can have a temporary benefit in terms of temperature regulation because the gel is thermally conductive (which is why it feels cooler to the touch like putting your hand on a marble countertop) but once the temperature between the foam and your body has equalized then the foam itself is an insulator and can still trap heat. There are also many other factors involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress besides just the foam that is used. There’s more about this in post #2 here. In some cases … even a mattress protector or the sheets you use can have a significant effect on sleeping temperature.

I took a look around the Idaho Falls area and you have some good options where you can test latex, memory foam, gel memory foam, innersprings, buckling column gel, and various hybrid combinations as well. Some of these may have also some “better” value and I’ve listed the brands I would include in my research at each one but it’s always important to make sure you are dealing with someone who has the ability and willingness to tell you the details of what is in the mattresses they sell.

Furniture Row® Store Locations - Store Hours & Addresses Idaho Falls. They are a regional manufacturer that has a “mostly latex” mattress with or without a latex or memory foam topper as well as a range of innerspring mattresses with some good quality and value. They don’t make any memory foam mattresses but they do carry Tempurpedic which use mostly good quality materials and would be a good way to test memory foam mattresses of different types as a guideline for an online purchase even though they don’t have good value at all and I would never consider purchasing one of them. I would ignore any of the other major brands they also carry unless again it is for testing various materials. As you can see in post #132 here … it would be a good idea to call before you go there to make sure what they have on their floor.

http://www.completecomfortbeds.com/contact Idaho Falls. Their website says carry some Natura latex mattresses as well as their Nexgel buckling column gel as well as the Intellibed buckling column gel and Pure latex Bliss Talalay latex mattresses and a house brand. I would also call first here to make sure what they are currently carrying because websites are often out of date but they appear to have some good selection and would be worth visiting.

http://mattressmartidaho.com/ Pocatello, ID. Restonic (memory foam, gel foam, latex hybrids, innerspring hybrids). I talked with Reno (the owner) here and he is a one man operation with low margin and likely has some better quality/value. He knows foam densities and will provide them for any of his mattresses.

http://bedplacerexburg.com/ Rexburg, ID. Their site lists Diamond which are made in Salt Lake City. They make some memory foam, latex, and innerspring mattresses which may have some better quality/value. I haven’t talked with them so I don’t know what they may have on the floor.

I would tend to exclude the other retailers in your area and with these you will at least have the chance to test different material combinations of each type you are interested in and there may be some reasonable value here as well.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Wow, thank you for the great information! My husband and I are going to give the Ultimate Dreams mattress a go.

Hi sourcedecay,

As you know I think the Ultimate Dreams is a great quality/value choice.

At least you have some good local options that can help you decide which material and which comfort choice (if you choose latex) may work best for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you so much, Phoenix. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I cannot believe that you actually took the time to look around my area, and even made some phone calls. I really appreciate that!!

My wife and I went around and tried out mattresses Saturday. We really like the Tempur Cloud Luxe, so we ordered one of the dreamfoam mattresses. We tried the Aspen and Snowmass, and to be honest, they felt far to firm. That could be a product of our terrible mattress we are currently using. I just talked to Brooklyn Mattress and it is shipping today. I was also very pleased with the customer service of the company.

Thanks again for all your help. This site is AMAZING. I will report back after we have tried the mattress.

Hi rhuntsman21,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Thanks too for the kind words … and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix