Information on Sherwood, Dunlopillo or Evosleep mattresses?

HELLO! I am looking for a new king size mattress because my old one is done for. I am a side-sleeper and have back issues. I have three little kids at home and my husband and I wanted a more “clean” (low VOC, less toxic) mattress than the name-brand mattresses that use a lot of chemicals – but an all-out organic mattress is more than we wanted to spend. Looking for a good mattress in the $1500-$2000 range. I was in Urban Mattress last week and tested out a few of their brands, (and basically ALL of them felt better than the cheap mattress I have now) but I am just wondering if Sherwood, Dunlopillo or Evosleep is going to be as good as quality as a Simmons, Tempur-pedic or Sealy… etc. They claim to be more natural than the big name brands, but I can’t find much info about them on the internet. Does ANYONE have any experience or advice or even opinions on Sherwood, Dunlopillo or Evosleep? Much appreciated, thanks!

Hi mgcalley,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us.

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just mgcalley (or any username you wish).

The only reliable way to to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOC’s so that you have some assurance than the VOC’s are below the testing limits for the certification (see post #2 here for more information about some of the more reliable “safety” certifications). If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” … regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Having said that … Simmons, Sealy, and Serta are all CertiPUR certified so there would be no reason to believe that any of their mattresses would be “less safe” than any of the Sherwood mattresses.

While it may be more information than you are looking for … there is a lot more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” that can help each person decide on the types of materials they are most comfortable having in their mattress or on the certifications that may be important to them. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

I would be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

The only way to compare the quality and durability of a mattress to another mattress is by finding out and comparing the type and quality of the materials inside them (see this article and the quality/durability guidelines that it links to).

There is also more about Sherwood Bedding and some general guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice in post #2 here and the posts it links to that I would make sure you read as well.

Phoenix

Thank you!!! Great info. I appreciate it. I was also looking for someone’s experience with Sherwood - since I don’t know of anyone personally who owns one. If anyone on this forum owns one and could give me their personal feedback, that would be helpful as well!

And yes, please take the @gmail.com off of my name at your convenience. We all know Spam is no fun. Thanks again,

Hi mgcalley,

I changed your username so you can log in with just mgcalley now.

I don’t think that someone else’s experience with any of the Sherwood mattresses would be particularly helpful or relevant for you.

While these are included in the post about Sherwood mattresses that I linked at the end of my last reply … I’ll add them again here just to make sure that you didn’t miss them …

[quote]While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful. A mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Hopefully you’ve already read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If for any reason a retailer or a manufacturer is either unwilling or unable to provide you with the information that you need (about the thickness and density of any polyfoam or memory foam layers in a mattress in particular) to assess the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress I would avoid it completely. It would be reasonable and “safer” to assume that any “unknown” materials in a mattress are lower quality/density range than the guidelines (otherwise they would probably disclose it) and without this information it’s just not possible to make any meaningful comments about the durability or useful life of a mattress and you would be making a very risky purchase.[/quote]

Phoenix