Innerspring core vs HR poly core

Hi,
I’m so thankful for this website! What a great resource, especially for a complete mattress noob like me :lol:
I started my search for a new mattress a few weeks ago by walking into one of the chain retail mattress stores. I left confused and discouraged. Then I did a quick internet search and found TMU! You were able to de-mystify the world of mattresses and it made total sense to me.
Armed with my new found knowledge I took a trip to Colton Mattresses in Asheville. Mike was extremely helpful and the things he said were right in line with what I learned here. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to 2 choices with the same comfort layer:

Comfort layer = 3" all natural Talalay latex (28 ILD)
Option 1 Support layer = 6" of 3.1# HR polyfoam ($1200)
Option 2 Support layer = Heirloom x-tra firm 2-sided inner spring ($1400)

I was able to try Option 2 in the store and I liked it. Lots of support but softer top layer for my shoulder which occasionally will act up. I could approximate option 1 in the store by laying the 3" Talalay on a 6" all-Talalay support core. Mike said he can match the support stiffness of the HR core to the stiffness of the all-Talalay that I laid on.
So my questions are:

1. Any feedback on combining innerspring support core with the latex top?
  2. Any comments on the specific construction of the Heirloom innerspring?
  3. How would the polyfoam core hold up compared to the innerspring?
    Thanks,
    Ted

Hi ineedrem,

For many people this is an ideal combination and some of the most knowledgeable people I know who could sleep on any mattress they chose to sleep on an innerspring/latex hybrid. Innersprings have a different response than foam and can also have multiple spring rates and for some people it just “works better” for many reasons that can get quite technical (see post #2 here). While the choice between an innerspring and an HR polyfoam core would be personal preference (support layers don’t tend to be the weak link of most mattresses) and the polyfoam you are mentioning is very high quality HR polyfoam … you would certainly be in some very good company if you went in the direction of an innerspring/latex hybrid.

I don’t know the type or details of the innerspring you are considering. Can you provide more information or a link to the details? You also mentioned that the innerspring is two sided … does this mean that the latex would be a topper over a mattress that you can flip or that there is 3" of latex on each side of the innerspring (which would both be a bonus in terms of durability)?

The support layer is not likely to be the weak link in terms of the durability of a mattress and the polyfoam is very high quality so I would treat them as equals and make the choice based on feel and performance rather than durability all other things being equal.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks for your reply. The 3" latex would be a topper over the flip-able innerspring mattress. Is there any downside to having the topper just lay over the mattress core? It doesn’t seem like it would slide with a fitted sheet over it. Here is a link to the Colton Innerspring Design

Thanks again!
Ted

Hey ineedrem:

I live about 50 miles down the road from Colton and was considering checking them out later this week in addition to a place over in Gaffney SC. I am looking for a mattress similar to the one you speak of.

Can you tell me anything about Colton’s return or warranty policy?

Thanks!

Hi sparkelman,
To be honest I was only half listening when he talked about warranties/returns. After reading here I was conditioned to not take much stock in the warranty and was concentrating more on the materials, feel, etc. I believe the return/exchanged policy was 30 or 120 days. The warranty was at least 10 years. Mike was very knowledgeable and no-pressure. He seemed committed to making sure you were satisfied. I too am about 50 miles from Asheville. You should also stop in Sleepworld just a mile or so down the road from Colton.
Good luck with your search!
Ted

Ted:

I just want to make sure I get the correct latex topper that works best for my wife and I. If I needed to swap it for something firmer/softer, I wanted to be sure I could do that. I am sure the warranty from these guys is ok.

Sleepworld looks like a retailer and most of what this site advises is to stay away from those guys selling the “S” brands. I’ll stick with places like Colton in Asheville and Sleep-Easy in Gaffney.

Thanks!
Rigby

Rigby, I agree about Sleepworld. Just figured it was nearby and could give you some more test points. The Colton comfort guarantee definitely covered the top latex layer and maybe the support core also. I was going to check out Sleep-easy also but no one answered the phone there and the website is still down. Just had bad vibes from that.
Ted

Hey Ted, where are you located?

I’m in Greenville, SC. How about you?

I’m over in Spartanburg. See below for the thread that got things started with Phoenix. At first he thinks I’m near Greenville, NC but then gets straight.

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/mattresses-in-upstate-sc

Ahh, Sparkle city! Very good :lol:
You will have to post back on your visit to Sleep-easy. Strongly leaning toward the innerspring core at Colton’s unless Phoenix puts the kibosh on the design.

Hi ineedreem,

My reply was delayed with your ongoing conversation which pushed the thread further down the list. Sorry to reply to your post “out of order”.

I actually called them a couple of weeks ago because of their site being down and you can see the results of my conversation and my thoughts about them in post #9 here. I certainly wouldn’t worry about the state of their website which isn’t one of their main focuses and some very good manufacturers don’t even have one.

The design looks one sided in the diagram but if it’s just an illustration and it’s actually two sided then that’s certainly a bonus. I actually like this type of design a lot (mattress and topper that are tested together and work well together with no weak links). The “base mattress” has the advantage of being flippable for greater durability and the topper can also be flipped and also replaced without having to replace the whole mattress if it wears out faster than the support layers (which is usually the case in all mattresses even with a topper as durable as latex). It can also be replaced if your needs change down the road again without buying a new mattress. Toppers under a protector or sheets don’t have a shifting problem … especially with latex which is heavy.

All the materials in the mattress are good quality and I don’t see any weak links in the mattress. Assuming that it’s in your budget range, and the combination tests well for PPP … it certainly seems like a very good quality combination.

No kibosh from me :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I will be heading out to Sleep Easy in Gaffney this weekend to initially try out their mattresses. If we do not find anything that blows us away, we may head up to Colton to check theirs out as well.

I’ll give a briefing when we get back.

Hi sparkeman,

I’m looking forward to your feedback.

Phoenix

I went ahead and ordered the innerspring core with the 3" latex topper from Colton’s. Will arrive this coming Tuesday! I’ll post back here after a few nights on it.
Ted

Hi ineedrem,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think an innerspring / latex hybrid can make a great choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Hey man, congrats on the new mattress!

I am heading to Colton’s this weekend to check out what they have and can do. I think I found what I wanted at Sleep Easy in Gaffney, but do not want to second guess after I get it.

Let us know how it turns out.

I’m loving the new mattress from Colton’s. Here is what i got:

-Extra-firm two sided innerspring core
-Separate 3" natural talalay top 28 ILD. The top is in a cover that has a cushion layer on top and a non-sliding type material on the bottom. It could be flipped by removing it from the cover. Not easy but possible.
-7" foundation (choices were 5", 7" and 9")

They delivered it from Asheville to Greenville, SC exactly when they said. I wasn’t home when it arrived so a friend was there to let them in. Everything looks very solid and well made. It felt good to support a local area manufacturer too!
I’ve been sleeping on it for about 2 weeks and seem to wake up more rested than previously. Not sure if this is because I’m not turning as much to relieve pressure or what. In the past I’ve periodically had shoulder pain (I’m a side sleeper) from sleeping on a too firm bed but so far no shoulder issues at all with this setup.
All in all I couldn’t be more pleased with the bed and the buying process. Two thumbs up for Colton’s!
Ted

Hi ineedrem,

thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It sure sounds like you and your new mattress are a great match!

Phoenix

[quote=“ineedrem” post=16799]I’m loving the new mattress from Colton’s. Here is what i got:

-Extra-firm two sided innerspring core
-Separate 3" natural talalay top 28 ILD. The top is in a cover that has a cushion layer on top and a non-sliding type material on the bottom. It could be flipped by removing it from the cover. Not easy but possible.
-7" foundation (choices were 5", 7" and 9")

They delivered it from Asheville to Greenville, SC exactly when they said. I wasn’t home when it arrived so a friend was there to let them in. Everything looks very solid and well made. It felt good to support a local area manufacturer too!
I’ve been sleeping on it for about 2 weeks and seem to wake up more rested than previously. Not sure if this is because I’m not turning as much to relieve pressure or what. In the past I’ve periodically had shoulder pain (I’m a side sleeper) from sleeping on a too firm bed but so far no shoulder issues at all with this setup.
All in all I couldn’t be more pleased with the bed and the buying process. Two thumbs up for Colton’s!
Ted[/quote]

The fact that it is innerspring support layer, does it bounce much? My wife has originally ruled this out because I toss and turn. Do you have this problem?

Also how many different options does Colton’s have for you to try out?

I am glad you found the right mattress!